Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25

Author Topic: 2019 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 160673 times)

obie1fish

Once in a while, I will use scents, but I'm too reliant on bait to use it alone. I always wanted to try a roe-sized chunk of coloured sponge with scent, but haven't.

By the way, I was driving down Whatcom Road on the way to work this morning, looking at the sunrise, and feeling really jealous of all you who got to fish today- the morning seemed perfect! I hope you guys were rewarded!

CohoJake

• Old Timer

Anybody dab their wool in nectar? Any success or is it just gimmicky? Seems like you get roe scent with way less mess
I've been using the hot pink Mike's Glo Scent in Shrimp flavor pretty generously, either on wool by itself or even on my roe (especially when I want to add some color to my roe).  I can't say whether it really makes a difference, but it gives me confidence, and isn't that what matters?  :D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Conditions stayed the same today. Serious amount of rain has been forecasted for tonight. A good abundance of chinook salmon throughout the river, where are the coho? ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

The river is brown now. It was fishable for an hour at first light and I managed to pop three coho off in a span of five minutes.  ::) it should drop and clear up pretty fast.

CohoJake

• Old Timer

The river is brown now. It was fishable for an hour at first light and I managed to pop three coho off in a span of five minutes.  ::) it should drop and clear up pretty fast.
I hope so, but the graph on the upper river had reached 1.6 meters and is still rising as of the last update (3 hours ago).  The peak from our storm 10 days ago was only 1.4 meters.  I hope it drops faster than last time.  Vedder Crossing should hit at least 2.3 meters today - blown out for at least a little while.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

That peak 10 days ago was 2.1m actually. It's at 2.2m now. Dry weather ahead, it should recover fast.

CohoJake

• Old Timer

That peak 10 days ago was 2.1m actually. It's at 2.2m now. Dry weather ahead, it should recover fast.
I was referring to the upper station not Vedder Crossing, but yes let's hope we don't get much rain tomorrow and it drops fast.  I know there is snow forecast at higher elevations so that should help limit the rising.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Ah got it. I was surprised by how fast it rose this morning while I was fishing. I think, well hope anyway, we will be fishing it again by tomorrow afternoon. ;D

CohoJake

• Old Timer

I can finally see a crest on the upper river station - just over 1.6 meters at 8:15 this morning, and dropping just as fast as it rose (so far).  I'm curious to see how much later the lower river crests.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

Fished in the canal on the boat again today. I drove up in the dark and fished till 10am. In that time I saw the water color up in a few hours. Managed 1 spring and one Coho. Lost three.

coldfinger

• always thankful

As mentioned, the level came up fast and dirty on us too, on the lower river, but not before we landed this beauty. Drifting roe, third cast.
 As an added bonus, a barely opened container of Barry's Bait Borax Cured Roe balls came floating down passed us. Scooped it up thinking it was garbage....Surprise !!   Not often you leave with more cured roe than you started with.
 ;D

cdjk123

The river is a nice...chocolately colour.....might be a while till it comes back  ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

As an added bonus, a barely opened container of Barry's Bait Borax Cured Roe balls came floating down passed us. Scooped it up thinking it was garbage....Surprise !!   Not often you leave with more cured roe than you started with.
 ;D

I will post it up in the lost and found if you wish. ;D

CohoJake

• Old Timer

I can finally see a crest on the upper river station - just over 1.6 meters at 8:15 this morning, and dropping just as fast as it rose (so far).  I'm curious to see how much later the lower river crests.

The answer is:  It takes 3 hours from the crest to pass from the upper station (above Slesse creek) to the lower station (Vedder Crossing) (at least at these levels).  9:05 was the upriver crest, 12:15 at the crossing. 

fisherforever

Just talked to a friend here in Chilliwack who also with search and rescue. Three rescues today on the Chilliwack/Vedder due to anglers stranded when the river came up. Be safe out there!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25