Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Pinks 2019  (Read 96478 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Fraser Pinks 2019
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2019, 06:20:45 PM »

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The expected closure dates will be from September 21st to November 1st for the tidal portion of the Fraser River, from September 22nd to November 2nd for the non-tidal portion of the Fraser River from Mission to Hope. I guess there are still some opportunities for coho after November 1st. :-[

As for what's going to happen after August 23rd until September 20th, there's no information on that. It is unlikely that we will see a retention opening like two years ago IMO.

As far as fishing for pinks, my experience is that the best fishing for pinks on the Fraser is done by those dates, particularly on the tidal section. Coho have been closed during those dates for 20 years or more - I'd bet $ Rod you know the year it started.

It is a shame to see the end of Bar fishing as I knew it since the mid-60s.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2019, 07:32:26 PM »

Bar fishing for chinooks should be open right now, no reason for it not to be. The natives got gill nets in the water, no good reason for the bar fishermen to be left out.

Plus its annoying watching all the jet boats at sandheads bob up and down lol

isn't it about time for freds annual protest fishery?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 07:48:56 PM by wildmanyeah »

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2019, 09:55:05 PM »

Bar fishing for chinooks should be open right now, no reason for it not to be. The natives got gill nets in the water, no good reason for the bar fishermen to be left out.

Plus its annoying watching all the jet boats at sandheads bob up and down lol

isn't it about time for freds annual protest fishery?

The sport fishing Alliance guys are silent that's for sure. Maybe Rod can explain why.

cdjk123

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2019, 07:44:57 AM »

curious about this too ^^

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2019, 07:53:32 AM »

The sport fishing Alliance guys are silent that's for sure. Maybe Rod can explain why.

Again this is just a rumor

Remember last year all the FN fishing photos making the rounds on social media. Well most of the photos were taken by sturgeon fishing guides. I herd that the First Nations threatened that they were going to get sturg fishing shut down as well as go after quota. Sturg fishing is the bread and butter of the fraser river guiding comunity. Apparently thoes threat worked and silenced a lot of our sports fishing reps.

Since then it sounds like our reps have been working on trying to get a round table process started. So it doesn't make sense to be public about stuff as it may jeopardize that.

anyways just rumors don't no if any of its true

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2019, 10:17:28 AM »

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/gathering-at-the-river-event-aug-26-to-promote-harmony-between-anglers-and-first-nations.76404/

CHILLIWACK, BC – With a challenging 2019 summer fishing season underway in the Lower Fraser River region, the Fraser River Peacemakers and the Cheam Fishing Village will host a Gathering at the River on August 26 to promote harmony between recreational anglers and regional First Nation fishing communities.

Special guests and dignitaries from various communities will share a meal and enjoy the day together at the Cheam Fishing Village in Agassiz in a spirit of friendship. The day will feature speakers, cultural ceremonies and good will.

Reflecting its mandate to promote harmony on the Fraser, the Peacemakers’ message to all fishers is to be considerate, practice safety and communicate clearly with other people on the river. The Peacemakers’ mantra is to be respectful and avoid conflict by using good etiquette and sportsmanship. The protocol is demonstrated in the Peacemakers’ video, River Manners, at www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbyYW9cerxA&feature=youtu.be

The message of respect and goodwill is particularly relevant this summer. In order to protect the stocks, the Department of Fisheries and Oceans imposed restrictions on commercial, recreational and First Nation fishing of Chinook salmon in the Lower Fraser River tidal waters and non-tidal waters. As of August 15, the province also closed the main stem of the Fraser above the Mission Bridge to trout fishing. The Peacemakers are working to provide guidance where this is fishing to reduce tensions between eager anglers and First Nations fishers.

“Fraser River Peacemakers members encourage aboriginal and non-aboriginal fishers to exercise courtesy to one another in the coming weeks,” said Ernie Crey, Peacemakers co-chair and chief of Cheam First Nation. “Doing so ensures the fishery is well-managed, the resource can be shared and all fishers are respected and remain safe.”

The Chinook closures have impacted all fishing sectors, noted Rod Clapton, a Peacemakers director and B.C. Federation of Drift Fishers president.

“The summer of 2019 has seen total closures of the lower Fraser River recreational salmon and trout fishing resulting in tremendous economic losses to the local economies and loss of a valued Canadian heritage. First Nations food fisheries have been severely curtailed, creating significant hardship among their Fraser River communities. Salmon and steelhead stocks are at point of extreme conservation concern, which demands that all fishers come together seeking solutions to rebuild and protect our fisheries,” Clapton said.

“We would hope that despite these current closures, the August 26 gathering on the river will demonstrate that our communities can come together seeking responsible joint initiatives that will lead to preserving these priceless resources for future generations,” Clapton added.

The Gathering at the River event will build on the good will developed during informal meetings held earlier this year between Lower Fraser First Nations fishing communities and recreational fisher groups.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2019, 01:42:32 PM »

anyways just rumors don't no if any of its true

It's just rumours.

avid angler

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2019, 04:38:30 PM »

I was offered chinook for 5 dollars a fish any size and have heard of guys selling for almost as cheap elsewhere. Don’t think anyone is hurting that bad for food.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2019, 05:33:19 PM »

I was offered chinook for 5 dollars a fish any size and have heard of guys selling for almost as cheap elsewhere. Don’t think anyone is hurting that bad for food.

Sts'ailes selling salmon ? Blasphemy !

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2019, 08:59:22 PM »

I know its premature but I just came back from a scouting mission in the Summas/Fraser. The Panoptix spotted some fish at the mouth. I didnt see any. Saw 4 or 5 seals. I had ( what looked like ) a DFO chopper do a low flyby on my, came back and hovered 100 yards above my head for a min. I didnt even have a rod on the boat. I saw two other smaller boats in the canal scouting as well
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 09:01:05 PM by Hike_and_fish »

Animal Chin

« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2019, 10:18:43 PM »

Coho have been closed during those dates for 20 years or more - I'd bet $ Rod you know the year it started.

My reference point only goes back 6-7 years, but with the exception of last year.. don't they usually open the lower (tidal) Fraser for coho around Oct 10th .. or the 1st weekend of October?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2019, 11:02:37 PM »

My reference point only goes back 6-7 years, but with the exception of last year.. don't they usually open the lower (tidal) Fraser for coho around Oct 10th .. or the 1st weekend of October?

It wasnt really closed at all. I can remeber lining up outside Kanaka creek with 10 other guys first week of Oct or late Sept for years and spin casting for Coho

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2019, 06:49:01 AM »

retention of coho has been closed from around Labour Day until Thanksgiving for 20 years or more. In Odd numbered years it was open to retain pinks.  Last year a full salmon closure extended it 2 weeks or so. This year it will extend until Nov 1st or 2nd.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2019, 09:34:22 AM »

The issue this year is more the poor returns of sockeye. Late run sockeye are going to managed to 10% exploration rate with no direct fishery.  First Nations have priority so if they use up that 10% in their Chinook and pink fisheries. There will be no exploitation left for recreational fishermen.

really will depend if they decide to up that 10% sometimes they up it to 20% or even 30%.  Would really need to question the reasoning if they did decide to raise it in a year where sockeye returns are the worst on record.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 09:43:01 AM by wildmanyeah »

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2019, 09:46:53 AM »

Just got a reminder for "potential start of pinks on the Fraser" in 11 days - August 31.
The reminder was from 2010 but I think it is from earlier than that.

We are still a week and a half away from a "normal" opening for pinks.

26 million Fraser pinks in 2013.
15 million Fraser pinks in 2015.
3.5 million Fraser pinks in 2017.
5 million Fraser pinks expected in 2019.

Looked up the notices from the 2013:

August 30, 2013 - notice FN0820 (tidal):
Pink: Effective immediately, until 23:59 hours Tuesday, December 31, 2013 the daily
limit is four (4) pink salmon per day.  There is a minimum size limit for pink
salmon of 30 cm.

August 30, 2013 - notice FN0825 (non-tidal):
Effective one hour before sunrise Saturday, August 31, 2013 until one hour
after sunset Tuesday, December 31, 2013 the waters of the Fraser River in
Region 2 upstream of the CPR bridge at Mission to Alexandria bridge are open to
the retention of four (4) pink salmon per day; and, two (2) chum salmon per day.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 09:48:35 AM by Easywater »