Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Pinks 2019  (Read 95305 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Fraser Pinks 2019
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2019, 05:23:31 PM »

Yeah something to look forward too, Altho I herd they closed the river to trout fishing so people would not be going after pinks and saying they were out trout fishing. Thats just a rumor tho

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2019, 05:33:28 PM »

Yeah something to look forward too, Altho I herd they closed the river to trout fishing so people would not be going after pinks and saying they were out trout fishing. Thats just a rumor tho

Yep this one:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/changes/1719/region2.html

Fraser River    No fishing for trout in the mainstem upstream of the CPR Bridge at Mission    August 15, 2019

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2019, 05:43:09 PM »

Yep this one:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/changes/1719/region2.html

Fraser River    No fishing for trout in the mainstem upstream of the CPR Bridge at Mission    August 15, 2019

Unbelievable. Here we have ( what looks like a decent ) Pink Salmon run, really solid Chinook numbers and they dont want people fishing this river for trout ? This whole thing stinks. Its obviously because FN jave not yet filled quotas. Am I right ? Sure seems like it. Holy cow.

Anyone wanna buy a jet boat ?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2019, 05:48:51 PM »

I herd it’s because they to ensure all the pinks make it up to the slide site. Again just a rumour

My guess it’s also to do with optics, if the nets are out of the river the rods better be too.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2019, 05:56:01 PM »

My guess it’s also to do with optics, if the nets are out of the river the rods better be too.

Again. FN didnt fill their quotas so everyone suffers even tho FN dont normally retain Pink salmon for ceremonial purposes. Until this year I assume.

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2019, 10:36:03 PM »

Unbelievable. Here we have ( what looks like a decent ) Pink Salmon run, really solid Chinook numbers and they dont want people fishing this river for trout ? This whole thing stinks. Its obviously because FN jave not yet filled quotas. Am I right ? Sure seems like it. Holy cow.

Anyone wanna buy a jet boat ?

The closure for trout fishing is to protect interior Fraser steelhead. They start to show up now. If you follow the regulation changes you will see the closure goes all the way up to the mouth of the chilcotin River.
Check out the region 3 & 5 in season updates.
Not really a First Nations deal at this time.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2019, 05:15:02 AM »

The closure for trout fishing is to protect interior Fraser steelhead. They start to show up now. If you follow the regulation changes you will see the closure goes all the way up to the mouth of the chilcotin River.
Check out the region 3 & 5 in season updates.
Not really a First Nations deal at this time.

I find it hard to believe considering Chinook numbers and Pink numbers have been the best in 2 years or more. It's not stopping FN set nets in the river. So........... a rod and reel pose a greater threat ? I think not.

Not that I have an issue with FN fishing for their share. I dont at all. Just simply saying there seems to be something greater behind this decision.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2019, 05:41:51 AM »

I see the trout fishing closure as a direct consequence of guides and other very visible anglers choosing to ignore the pink closure in 2017 and deliberately targeting pinks for catch & release.  The next step, if this doesn't work, is a clear "sturgeon fishing only" regulation  that will include minimum hook sizes and other gear restrictions.  C&R is NOT a zero mortality fishery, especially in warm waters and especially with pinks - those fish bleed out if you sneeze at them.  I hope we do get a window to target pinks in the Fraser, but until then I hope everyone can resist the temptation to test the waters by saying they are targeting something else. 

Also, it makes sense to me that the Fraser returns would be relatively better than those on the Squamish and other smaller systems because the pinks that spawn in the main stem and side channels of the Fraser I THINK didn't suffer the same extreme gravel moving events as the smaller rivers.  Just spitballing.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2019, 07:15:25 AM »

Does anyone know if the Vedder suffered the same Gravel moving events during last season's rainstorm?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2019, 08:50:41 AM »

I herd it’s because they to ensure all the pinks make it up to the slide site. Again just a rumour

there are no major runs of pinks that go to and above the Big Bar Slide. |Seaton Creek is the most northerly major spawning return.Pink are sporadically present in the Quesnel system .Trout are open in the river below Mission. The Province didn't provide an on line rational though some folks attributed that move to IFS protection.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2019, 10:21:52 AM »

So will the Fraser coho shut again to protect those ifr steelhead or is it to save the springs for the killer whales?  Doesn't opening Fraser pinks also threatens those 4 fish that make it to spawning grounds?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2019, 10:25:47 AM »

So will the Fraser coho shut again to protect those ifr steelhead or is it to save the springs for the killer whales?  Doesn't opening Fraser pinks also threatens those 4 fish that make it to spawning grounds?

The Fraser is closed for sure during the fall coho salmon run time this year and for the years to come.

Jamier

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2019, 11:55:40 AM »

Rod, so the closure for coho will not be the same as last year? Lower Fraser bar fishing opened end of October last year. Your saying we won't have any chance of fishing Coho this year or years to come. Correct?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2019, 12:01:08 PM »

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The expected closure dates will be from September 21st to November 1st for the tidal portion of the Fraser River, from September 22nd to November 2nd for the non-tidal portion of the Fraser River from Mission to Hope. I guess there are still some opportunities for coho after November 1st. :-[

As for what's going to happen after August 23rd until September 20th, there's no information on that. It is unlikely that we will see a retention opening like two years ago IMO.

Jamier

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2019, 04:49:18 PM »

Thanks for clarifying. Always enjoy my barfishing days on the river.