Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gitxsan Hereditary Chiefs Bans All Rec Fishing in 2019  (Read 12255 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Gitxsan Hereditary Chiefs Bans All Rec Fishing in 2019
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 11:25:41 AM »

Is it open or is it closed?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 11:29:02 AM »

Bring a rod up, there's only one way to find out. ;)

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 01:03:38 PM »

They ban the fishing every year. Don't bother it anymore

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 03:06:59 PM »

If the Gitxsan win this, ie. no government intervention backing sportsfishers, fisheries management in BC will be changed forever. Interesting times ahead.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 07:23:42 AM »

Typical rascit attitude. We were here first so that makes us better than every other ethnic group in Canada.

GordJ

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 07:58:13 AM »

Typical rascit attitude. We were here first so that makes us better than every other ethnic group in Canada.
How come all the poor, underprivileged white guys call racism every time someone of a different colour does something they don’t like? I haven’t seen anything that says that Indians or any other ethnic group are allowed to fish recreationally. How is it racist to ban everyone? To meet the definition of racism, or any educated meaning, one group has to promote itself above another as being superior.
Nobody cries racism when Douglas lake ranch only allows rich people on their land, nobody cries racism when Queen Charlotte lodge only advertises in Alberta, nobody cries racism when brown guys shoot only brown guys but as soon as our white privilege is challenged everyone is racist. Quit using lousy arguments because you are butt hurt about something and try an intelligent response.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 08:16:55 AM »

How come all the poor, underprivileged white guys call racism every time someone of a different colour does something they don’t like? I haven’t seen anything that says that Indians or any other ethnic group are allowed to fish recreationally. How is it racist to ban everyone? To meet the definition of racism, or any educated meaning, one group has to promote itself above another as being superior.
Nobody cries racism when Douglas lake ranch only allows rich people on their land, nobody cries racism when Queen Charlotte lodge only advertises in Alberta, nobody cries racism when brown guys shoot only brown guys but as soon as our white privilege is challenged everyone is racist. Quit using lousy arguments because you are butt hurt about something and try an intelligent response.

I am neither poor or 100% caucasian and if you think they only eat the fish they catch for ceremonial purposes....... you are completely delusional and should probably stop talking.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 08:27:52 AM by Hike_and_fish »

BBarley

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 08:49:01 AM »

Curious to see how they intend on enforcing this. IIRC it was the Wet'suwet'en hereditary chiefs that banned TransCanada from trespassing on their land and set up the protest camps along the access roads, and we all know how that played out.

GordJ

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 10:04:08 PM »

I am neither poor or 100% caucasian and if you think they only eat the fish they catch for ceremonial purposes....... you are completely delusional and should probably stop talking.
Great comeback

Its good to hear that you're not 100% Caucasian but I am not sure how that is relevant to what I posted and I am pretty that they don't just eat the ceremonial fish because "they" probably eat lots of other stuff. "They" probably eat salmon that are caught for food too. And an occasional salad.
The delusional statement is funny coming from someone who can't actually form a coherent thought and put it in writing. Good for you on spelling delusional though.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 05:56:28 AM »

Great comeback

Its good to hear that you're not 100% Caucasian but I am not sure how that is relevant to what I posted and I am pretty that they don't just eat the ceremonial fish because "they" probably eat lots of other stuff. "They" probably eat salmon that are caught for food too. And an occasional salad.
The delusional statement is funny coming from someone who can't actually form a coherent thought and put it in writing. Good for you on spelling delusional though.

Non of what I said was meant to be a comeback. I stand by what I said at the start. The "we were here first" mentality is racist.

One ethnic group is not better than another based on time of arrival. If that's the case maybe the descendants of French settlers should have tax free reservations in Quebec, Atlantic Canada and Manitoba. The French had their land taken away by the British. Why not ? Seems fair right ? They are after all better than every other settler in this land right ?  They were here second. The French in this land already face criticism because of some policies aimed at protecting their heritage. NOBODY EVER criticizes FN groups when they do the same thing. EVER.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 06:40:45 AM by Hike_and_fish »

avid angler

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 12:57:57 PM »

All their trying to do is turn the entire skeena watershed into the patch on the kispiox. Nothing more nothing less. Just a cash grab

BBarley

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 06:38:13 AM »

I don’t think that’s what’s happening, Potato Patch happens to fall on Kispiox Reserve land and they charge for anyone fishing on their reserve land, have been doing so forever. Everywhere upstream of that is Crown/Private and you don’t run into any pay to play issues with the FN.

This appears to be the hereditary chiefs going after the little guy to keep the eyes and ears off the river as they continue business as usual on the river. Something like this would have never happened before the social media age where posting information is as easy as a click of a button.

I still want to see what their plans are for enforcement of this and what legal authority they have to remove you from the river.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 05:11:18 PM »

The French had their land taken away by the British

...you better tell that to the Quebecois who own land in Quebec, then try moving in!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 06:01:50 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2019, 06:16:19 PM »

All their trying to do is turn the entire skeena watershed into the patch on the kispiox. Nothing more nothing less. Just a cash grab

Bob Hooton certainly agrees

"They claim up to 90 per cent of its members have abstained from harvesting salmon until the numbers return". With 14,000 Gitxsan members spread all over the western world it is not inconceivable a high percentage was not around the Skeena in 2018 and therefore qualified as abstaining from harvesting salmon. That other 10% (i.e. 1400) must have been pretty busy though because DFO tells us they reported landing more than 8,000 chinook in the mainstem Skeena. If anyone thinks the catch reported to DFO represents the total catch I suggest they do some on the water research.

Thirty-eight hereditary chiefs spread across a vast area and those of us who might like to skate a dry fly across a piece of water in their traditional territory will be compelled to seek permission from the appropriate chief?! I'm betting a large proportion of those chiefs are all but impossible to track down in-season. And, if anyone does, it sure appears as though money will be the ticket to fishing opportunity. Remember the Ecstall? Think about how many deep pocket non-Canadians own fishing lodges and control rod day quotas on classified waters. This Gitxsan ultimatum is another perfect set up for money to buy exclusive fishing privileges those of us who pay the freight for government fisheries management can't begin to outbid the rich and famous for.

How about an audit of that Kispiox Band pay to play program over the past 3 years? How much money and where did it end up? Why did guides get essentially a free pass?

Its all good that the Gitxsan people are taking command of the Skeena (inland) fishery. Perhaps they will wake up and smell the coffee on how many of them are already commercial fishermen and/or vessel owners. That would be the good people whom they claim are the enemy of salmon conservation. In the meantime, beat up on those river anglers who, at best, get to fish with single barbless hooks and artificial lures on a catch and release only basis right beside Gitxsan gill nets.

Remind me why we pay fisheries managers and elect politicians who can do no better than sit on their hands and watch chaos unfold. Hello Wilkinson, Donaldson, Cullen...............HELLO!