Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gitxsan Hereditary Chiefs Bans All Rec Fishing in 2019  (Read 12250 times)

GordJ

Re: Gitxsan Hereditary Chiefs Bans All Rec Fishing in 2019
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2019, 09:50:01 PM »

...you better tell that to the Quebecois who own land in Quebec, then try moving in!
Another brilliant post. The Quebecois in Quebec aren't French, they're Canadian. You are probably confused because some of them speak French but the land was given to the British a long time ago. Just after some skirmish on the Plains of Abraham i think.

Of course where Hike and Fish mistake lies is in the fact that the French and English negotiated a transaction for Lower Canada unlike most of the interactions with the indigenous people in Canada where no treaties or purchase was consummated

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2019, 07:05:56 AM »

Another brilliant post. The Quebecois in Quebec aren't French, they're Canadian. You are probably confused because some of them speak French but the land was given to the British a long time ago. Just after some skirmish on the Plains of Abraham i think.

Of course where Hike and Fish mistake lies is in the fact that the French and English negotiated a transaction for Lower Canada unlike most of the interactions with the indigenous people in Canada where no treaties or purchase was consummated

Did I call them French? I referred to them as they refer to themselves. In Quebec over 80% of the population claims French  as their first language and 95% of residents speak French. Sounds like a little more than some.

The Point is, as you vaguely recognize, after the British Victory of the Plains of Abraham the people in Quebec kept their property rights, only the ruling government changed. Much the same with FNs in Canada. They kept their rights.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2019, 09:44:39 AM »

And look in 2019 we have nations within a nation. The Harper government recognized Quebec ad an independent Nation within Canada and we also have independent Native nations within Canada. Boy how unifying that is. Even the change of language from Indian to Native and now First Nations. Everytime I say First Nations it subconsciously tells my little brain that they were here first and my evil colonial ancestors stole their land, raped their mothers and daughters and killed their brothers and fathers. I can even feel the waves of white guilt wash over my body. Even when I attend my local Chamber meetings the daily speaker HAS to recognize the fact that we are blessed to be on the traditional lands of the qʼʷa:n̓ƛʼən̓ people reinforcing white guilt.

Will we ever be a unified people ? Doesnt look that way. Seems like this is what the government wants. People against people and never focusing on the REAL issues and the powerful people that make them.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2019, 10:51:25 AM »

The concept of Nation is usually some sort of linguistic, ethnic and religious uniformity. Canada never had this and that is why Canada is properly considered a Federation.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2019, 11:07:05 AM »

The concept of Nation is usually some sort of linguistic, ethnic and religious uniformity. Canada never had this and that is why Canada is properly considered a Federation.

Not too many things that come out of your head that I agree with but we do see eye to eye on that one that's for sure.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2019, 12:22:10 PM »

Gitxsan Chiefs answer confusion regarding recent fishing ban

Further information has been released by the Gitxsan Hereditary Chiefs to alleviate any confusion around their fishing ban.
Earlier this year, the Band announced the closure of salmon fishing activites on their territories.

Under Gitxsan traditional law, this means that band members are only permitted to utilize their own house group’s fishing hole.
In order to use another Gitxsan site, they would need to seek permission from that house group’s Chief.

According to the Band’s statement, current provincial and federal law does not permit trespassing by those holding a fishing permit or guide license.

The ban is currently in effect at all tenured fisheries in the Skeena Watershed, between Legate Creek, and the Upper Skeena to the north.

A copy of the statement follows:

https://www.cfnrfm.ca/2019/05/22/gitxsan-chiefs-answer-confusion-regarding-recent-fishing-ban/

cdjk123

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2019, 05:22:44 PM »

So, just to revive this thread...

I want to head up to the Skeena area at the end of August...as long as I'm following the regs, it's still legal?

This is confusing.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2019, 06:02:14 PM »

Its open

EricBou

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2019, 01:10:47 PM »

Me again!!!

Stop by Oscars Fly & Tackle shop in Smithers...

They will be able to tell you where to go...

I want to go too... I had the same question... At the moment, the people at Oscars had no idea and DFO were not helping making things clearer...

Would not hurt asking them again...

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2019, 05:27:28 PM »

Fishery Notice
Category(s): RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Subject: FN0704-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Region 6 - Skeena River Watershed - Closure Effective July 27, 2019

Effective at 00:00:01 hours July 27, 2019 until further notice - The Skeena
River watershed is closed to fishing for all salmon.

Skeena Sockeye returns continue to be below the identified conservation level
of 400,000 as described in the Northern BC Salmon IFMP, and the Department has
undertaken extensive consultations with First Nations and stakeholders
indicating that measures will need to be taken to address Sockeye conservation.
This closure is a part of the identified conservation measures.

Variation Oder #: 2019-RCT-408

Notes:

Possession limits are two times the daily limits.

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal waters and rivers
of British Columbia. 

The term "marked" means a hatchery fish that has a healed scar in place of the
adipose fin.

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the Salmon Sport Head Recovery
program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped chinook and
coho salmon.  Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical information for
coast-wide stock assessment.  Contact the Salmon Sport Head Recovery Program
toll free at (866) 483-9994 for further information.

Anglers are advised to check http://bcsportfishguide.ca for fishing closures
and other recreational fishing information.

Tidal Water Sport Fishing Licences can be purchased via any computer connected
to the internet at
https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/nrls-sndpp/index-eng.cfm
or by using Google search key words "Recfish Licence".

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation?  If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at
1-(866)431-FISH (3474).

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Darren Chow
A/North Coast Recreational Fisheries Manager
250 627-3441

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0704
Sent July 25, 2019 at 1630

cdjk123

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2019, 06:36:25 PM »

So....if a DFO or Conservation officer were to ask me what I was fishing for, and I responded with "trout"...could I get in trouble?

I have a trip planned up there at the end of Aug, and im totally bummed to be honest about this.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2019, 08:12:03 PM »

When the Fraser was closed last year a group set up a legal protest bar fishery for "steelhead" to show that bar fishing is a selective fishery. I would think you could use the same/similar excuse that you are fishing for steelhead but the river will probably reopen once the sockeye pass through

cdjk123

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2019, 08:07:32 AM »

I was thinking about doing that.
I used that excuse when they closed the pinks down on the fraser 2 years ago. I was fishing for "pikeminnow". Ironically, I actually caught a lot of pike minnow on that trip :p

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2019, 11:49:19 AM »

Skeena First Nations call for closure of recreational Chinook fishery
Bill Fee
July 25, 2019 10:21 pm
July 25, 2019 10:21 pm
First Nations along the Skeena Watershed are calling on the Department of Fisheries and Oceans to close the recreational Chinook salmon fishery.

The Gitxsan, the Wet’suwet’en, and Gitanyow, who rely on salmon for food and cultural purposes, are sounding the alarm about this year’s salmon returns to the Skeena River

The Nations say they are considering not engaging in any food fishery for Sockeye over concerns that returns of the prized species are not plentiful enough to maintain it in future years.

“We encourage all First Nations to conserve sockeye this year. Conservation of the salmon resource, which has sustained our culture, communities, and families for millennia is paramount. DFO needs to enforce closures. The sockeye shortage this year will result in First Nations families running short of their preferred food this winter, and any time we can’t fish or get enough fish there is a significant cultural impact.” said Wet’suwet’en Chief Namoks (John Ridsdale) in a news release.

Due to the sockeye shortage, the Nations plan to harvest as much Chinook as possible and say all fish beyond what is required for conservation should be available to their communities for food.

“We need DFO to understand the plain facts and act in accordance with Canadian law which gives First Nations a priority right to salmon after conservation needs are met. The numbers show that there is no surplus of Skeena Chinook for any non-First Nations harvest. The recreational fishery for Chinook in the Skeena River and bound for the Skeena River has to be closed now to preserve that valuable food for our people,” said Charlie Muldon, Coordinator of the Gitksan Watershed Authorities.