Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2019 Fraser River chinook salmon conservation measures  (Read 11731 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: 2019 Fraser River chinook salmon conservation measures
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2019, 10:02:39 AM »

This was an F up of the highest order.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2019, 08:27:18 PM »

“This year the panel, which is largely made up of harvesting interests and U.S. and Canadian government representatives, exceeded their planned ‘allowable exploitation rate’ of over 58 percent on late-run sockeye, with a final rate of 63 percent,” he says. “

Shuswap late-run sockeye drop by 700,000

https://www.saobserver.net/news/shu...Qn2t33hgxjG8Y8yhTe8Wk0vzwd35garACgCRAfA4HEGkU

link is dead.

was it this one?

https://www.saobserver.net/opinion/column-what-happened-to-this-years-salmon-run/
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 08:34:24 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2019, 09:55:42 PM »

Thanks. Pretty good article. It's very true that over the decades, despite many promises (mostly broken) made by DFO to err on the side of conservation and healthy escapements they inevitably move to harvest allowances that benefit  business interests at the expense of conservation and the environment.  Equally strange considering many people believe that DFO remains the authoritative voice on the perils or lack thereof of open net salmon farming. How can they (DFO) be so biased in one case but so objective and neutral in the other?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 06:59:03 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2019, 10:31:22 PM »

Thanks. Pretty good article. It's very true that over the decades, despite many promises (mostly broken) made by DFO to err on the side of conservation and healthy escapements they inevitably move to rulings that benefit  business interests at the expense of conservation and the environment.  Equally strange considering many people believe that DFO remains the authoritative voice on the perils or lack thereof of open net salmon farming. How can they be so biased in one case but so objective and neutral in the other?

After listening to the fisheries minister on the news tonight, I wonder why we decent hard working Canadians put up with government officials like that. The head in the sand attitude makes me wonder who's lining their pocket book. Could it be that they want the end of wild salmon just so they can contol the revenue that the farms provide ? Sure seems that way in my opinion.

spoiler

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2019, 09:27:42 AM »

Salmon farming is big business in BC.
And with big business comes big money.
Anyone who thinks that the people in power (DFO and politicians) aren't being influenced by big money or some other means do have their heads in the sand!
I think in the next little while people's eyes will be opened by what's been going on with money laundering in BC and the SNC Lavalin issue back east.
As one famous person once said "follow the money!"

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2019, 10:10:28 AM »

Salmon farming is big business in BC.
And with big business comes big money.
Anyone who thinks that the people in power (DFO and politicians) aren't being influenced by big money or some other means do have their heads in the sand!
I think in the next little while people's eyes will be opened by what's been going on with money laundering in BC and the SNC Lavalin issue back east.
As one famous person once said "follow the money!"

Obviously so is commercial fishing if they allow them to kill up to 60+% of a run.

No mater what you say no  fish farms kill anywhere close to that.  The highest % i have seen thrown up their by some FF activists is maybe 5%.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2019, 12:39:39 PM »

After listening to the fisheries minister on the news tonight, I wonder why we decent hard working Canadians put up with government officials like that. The head in the sand attitude makes me wonder who's lining their pocket book. Could it be that they want the end of wild salmon just so they can contol the revenue that the farms provide ? Sure seems that way in my opinion.
For those that missed it.https://globalnews.ca/video/4959664/federal-fisheries-minister-talks-about-controversies?fbclid=IwAR2dfsiwybJusdh109VqEpds68aQTeLzPvHpfDg9MEc0L8VoDQ_9yw0fuQA

spoiler

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2019, 07:21:16 AM »

wildmanyeah,
no argument with you on the commercial fishing issue but same thing, big money(Jimmy Pattison) probably influences the decisions made by DFO openings

EricBou

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2019, 12:48:56 PM »

Obviously so is commercial fishing if they allow them to kill up to 60+% of a run.

No mater what you say no  fish farms kill anywhere close to that.  The highest % i have seen thrown up their by some FF activists is maybe 5%.

AMEN to that!

Neither of the fishfarms, the sport fisheries or first nation fisheries or even the seal population (all combined) decimated the cod population on the East Coast... commercial fisheries (overfishing) did...

We do not seem to learn from our mistakes...