Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2019 Fraser River chinook salmon conservation measures  (Read 11730 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
2019 Fraser River chinook salmon conservation measures
« on: February 05, 2019, 04:20:53 PM »

http://fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/files/2019-02-05-fraser-river-chinook-salmon-management-measures.pdf

Two scenarios are presented for the Lower Fraser River this year.

1) No fishing for chinook salmon all year, while pink salmon fishing opportunities may be available starting on August 23rd.

2) No fishing for salmon until August 22nd, chinook salmon opens for retention with 1 fish/day.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: 2019 Fraser River chinook salmon conservation measures
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 09:29:39 PM »

You mean they know there will be a sufficient pink salmon return for an opening?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 01:13:45 AM »

Nope.

spoiler

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 09:34:54 AM »

How About start with zero netting for Chinook on the entire Fraser for 2019!

poper

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 10:06:52 AM »

How About start with zero netting for Chinook on the entire Fraser for 2019!

Never happen, nets will be out all summer, while the sportys sit on the shore and knit toques for Stealhead season.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 10:09:04 AM by poper »

BBarley

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 11:10:20 AM »

Never happen, nets will be out all summer, while the sportys sit on the shore and knit toques for Stealhead season.

;D ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 11:14:24 AM »

You guys knit your own toques for steelheading?

spoiler

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 07:24:19 PM »

more like while sportys sit on the shore and watch DFO manage the Chinook fishery on the Fraser to zero!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 05:22:19 PM »

Well done admin ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 06:08:06 PM »

I still work once awhile.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 06:16:42 PM »

From SFBC site

Can we get a favor from all online here? Can we stop the thread briefly put aside the differences for a second. I have an urgent request from you guys tonight. I just sent this out on our SFAC Area 17 email list, and Facebook Page. This is pretty scary cupcakes, and I for one don't want to see any areas lose fisheries. But it takes like 5 minutes to send an e-mail. You all asked how you can help well here is your chance. Thanks guys. If you can write posts you can do this one.

Hi Everyone,

URGENT: Pending 2019 Fraser River Chinook Fishing Restrictions - Feedback Required To DFO

Right now our SFAB main board is meeting in Vancouver to discuss our recreational fishery for 2019. We have request from you.

These are the options in regards to changes to our Chinook Salmon fishery this year. The scenarios are listed below Scenario A and Scenario B.

This is VERY IMPORTANT we need you to send tonight a simple e-mail to the two following e-mail addresses within DFO. Do not bother with the minister at this point. Here are the email addresses. Please do not wait!

Jeff Grout, Regional Resource Manager, Salmon
Jeff.Grout@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

DFO Pacific Salmon Team
DFO.PacificSalmonRMT-EGRSaumonduPacifique.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

We request you do the following in your response:

1. Why Scenario A won't work for you ( shown below).

2. State the financial loss to the local economy with you not being able to fish this year. Be specific and put a dollar amount on it. Include everything you spend locally on your sport and where.

poper

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 07:06:46 PM »

You guys knit your own toques for steelheading?
After I’m done crocheting a blanket. 😁

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 08:32:09 PM »

Sounds like Jeff is trying to do the sports fishing community a huge favor.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 08:56:37 PM »

I honestly dont know why anyone would want to retain a Fraser Chinook.  The numbers are so bad compared to what they use to be ( allegedly). What makes this so difficult for people ( in my opinion) is we are trusting DFO to provide us with the proper numbers and fair rules. It's hard to understand when we dont see it with our own eyes. I've seen the Harrison Chum fishery fall apart over the last 15 years. I trust the data regarding the Fraser Chinook. All parties need to do what's right and step down.

My 2 cents.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 01:05:15 AM »

So much focus on the loss of privileges to harvest more fish, but just about everyone seems to have skipped a couple of items in that PDF file...

Page 2, the percentage of change from one brood year (2014) to the next (2018)... 92% decline for spring stocks! The rest had a average around 50% decline except one stock that had a slight increase...

WTF happened? Sockeye happened... What do you expect when you have an allowable 55% exploitation rate for sockeye salmon throughout August and September?

Page 10 and 11, just about every run of Fraser River chinook salmon is listed as endangered or threatened by COSEWIC. Only one run is considered not at risk.

If anyone thinks these runs actually have a chance in the next couple of decades with the current management approaches... lol... ok. These species are not the right path to extinction.

2,100 chinook salmon in the spring runs returned. That's the COMBINED number of a clusters of tributaries. Yet we are still considering "limited impact" chinook salmon FSC fisheries in the Lower Fraser between January 1st and August 10th???

Yeah I get it, one fish per day in the rec sector is not going to make a dent in the populations, our impacts are insignificant. If they're going to net, we gotta pressure for openings too. Conservation is always priority though, lets make that very clear....

I'm not going to pretend that I know what the answer is. I don't, but this is pretty screwed up. We might as well raise our hands up now and forget about these fish. It's done.