Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead eggs  (Read 774 times)

Jk47

Steelhead eggs
« on: January 13, 2019, 05:03:17 PM »

Got a hatch doe today. About 10 lbs. The eggs are very small in the skein compared to the chum roe I typically keep, cure, and fish with. I guess Iíve always cured up my Steelhead roe and used it to fish with at some point, but I question the effectiveness of these eggs for Steelhead fishing as compared to the highly sought after chum roe. And since I have plenty of chum berries in the freezer this year I thought I would post on here before I put the Pro-cure to them - and ask - does anyone have a recipe or other advice as to how to prepare Steelhead roe for consumption? Thanks - Jk

Hike_and_fish

Re: Steelhead eggs
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 05:07:45 PM »

If it were me, I would use them over the next three days as fresh roe. Place chunks in a roe bag. Works for me. Always make sure to puncture a berry or two before it hits the water.

Jk47

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 05:23:36 PM »

:-[ If only my next 3 days were to be spent fishing instead of working! Theyíve been out on the counter for a couple hours so Iím running out of time if Iím to consume them... will be curing them in an hour or so if no ideas pop up here, but would still be interested for next time

stsfisher

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 06:02:10 AM »

Got a hatch doe today. About 10 lbs. The eggs are very small in the skein compared to the chum roe I typically keep, cure, and fish with. I guess Iíve always cured up my Steelhead roe and used it to fish with at some point, but I question the effectiveness of these eggs for Steelhead fishing as compared to the highly sought after chum roe. And since I have plenty of chum berries in the freezer this year I thought I would post on here before I put the Pro-cure to them - and ask - does anyone have a recipe or other advice as to how to prepare Steelhead roe for consumption? Thanks - Jk

Simple Borax cure is how I like to do my Steelhead eggs.

stsfisher

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 06:03:14 AM »

Simple Borax cure is how I like to do my Steelhead eggs.
oops sorry that would be for steelhead consumption, NOT human consumption.

psd1179

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 10:47:23 AM »

oops sorry that would be for steelhead consumption, NOT human consumption.

I will simply cure with a little bit of salt and black pepper.

dobrolub

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 12:56:54 PM »

black pepper's been my secret ingredient for years now. they love it cured with bp.

Wiseguy

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 08:56:17 PM »

Borax up the skeins and throw them in a ziplock bag in the fridge. Comes time to fish cut them up into bait loop size and throw them in a Ziplock bag with Borax. Shake the bag throw it in the vest and your good to go. Will last about two weeks in the fridge.