Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing with Yarn/Wool  (Read 16494 times)

bobby b

Re: Fishing with Yarn/Wool
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2018, 09:47:01 PM »

Why you maintain 2 feet between the float and the swivel? you need adjust the depth depends on the water and maintain your presentation close to the bottom not more than two feet.

I think bait is the best choice for salmon on average. Fished Vedder 3 times this season. Two trips in vain with a fly rod. third trip switched to roe drifting, easily picked 2 coho one spring.

I also have had no luck with the fly rod at the Vedder ... but did get a couple of Coho and a Spring that were holding in a pool at the Cap on tiny cali neils and olive/natural muddlers 

As far as wool goes, it's been my experience that Springs are def easier to get a bite from than Coho.

I have yet to get a Coho on a bead ... but Springs do hit beads
I have had really good luck with a 12mm Peach coloured mottled bead with a red dot..they absolutely hammer 'em!

As far as depth I do the same with wool or beads . I'll float the wool/bead down at about 1/2 the depth of the run ...So, in an 8-10ft deep hole I will float the wool/bead down about 4-5ft ...

bobby b

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2018, 09:54:52 PM »

FWIW...
I'm gonna start adding just a little white or peach wool to my bead presentation to see if I can get a Coho to go for it, as I do get them on wool... maybe that little bit of fuzzy look is why I can get 'em on wool alone?

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2018, 10:10:08 PM »

I saw an angler have some luck with them on the lower Vedder a couple weeks ago - that's all he was fishing whenever I saw him.  He hooked both Springs and Coho with them.  From what I have seen/read, you want your bead bouncing along the bottom as if it were an egg, so you need a longer leader than if fishing with wool or roe, but it is even more important to have a dead drift with your float and lead.  I bought some beads a couple weeks ago, but I've yet to bust them out.

I will try that out next time I fish , but im worried I might run into snags and such.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2018, 07:45:27 AM »

After about an hour of trying different wool combos yesterday I came up with a blood red and orange toughed up together , trimmed up to about a 1/4 inch maybe smaller . First cast , float goes down coho on . Lost the fish as it rolled over a boulder . Same thing on the next cast . This time the coho snapped the leader , must have been frayed line . Re ty , cast bang ! a nice shinny spring . That fish headed south with no return , SNAP ! off it goes . Sat down to re&re the wool tie and I guess I was being observed from behind cause 4 guys decided to jump down and move in to the 25 foot slick I was working on . Packed up and left .
So at the end of the early day I was satisfied my wool combo that worked for me . Probably be different the next time . But that's the fun of it for me , trying to get them to bight on your own creation ha . I had roe but forgot it .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2018, 09:28:25 AM »

After about an hour of trying different wool combos yesterday I came up with a blood red and orange toughed up together , trimmed up to about a 1/4 inch maybe smaller . First cast , float goes down coho on . Lost the fish as it rolled over a boulder . Same thing on the next cast . This time the coho snapped the leader , must have been frayed line . Re ty , cast bang ! a nice shinny spring . That fish headed south with no return , SNAP ! off it goes . Sat down to re&re the wool tie and I guess I was being observed from behind cause 4 guys decided to jump down and move in to the 25 foot slick I was working on . Packed up and left .
So at the end of the early day I was satisfied my wool combo that worked for me . Probably be different the next time . But that's the fun of it for me , trying to get them to bight on your own creation ha . I had roe but forgot it .

1/4 inch size is a single bead size. If the wool work, single bead will work too