Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing with Yarn/Wool  (Read 16488 times)

Ambassador

Re: Fishing with Yarn/Wool
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 05:58:37 PM »

Do I just slip the piece using a bait loop knot , or is there any tips and techniques that are favourable for salmon.
I'm interested in knowing others' techniques too, but as for me - I usually pre-make some wool eggs by putting three or four pieces of yarn together - then wrapping it with spider thread to get it all tightened up. Work your way down the wool by doing spider wire wraps about every 3/4 of an inch or so, then cut the middle between the spider thread. Fluff them up, trim down to desired size, and you are good to go. I usually thread the first one of the day down my leader with a needle and seat it right at the top of my hook before tying my leader to mainline, or you can put the hook through the middle of the egg (the spider thread part) and work it up the hook towards the loop. Depends where you want the egg sitting.

Best day of my life fishing was on these small chartreuse yarn balls. Couldn't keep the pinks off when many around me were not having much success.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

VirtualFisher

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2018, 09:17:02 PM »

will tie my own for now , and if I have no luck will look into buying some then ;D

This video will show you in details how to make yarn ball.  I learned how to make yarn ball from watching this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExEwLp9zPpc

BMo86

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2018, 10:06:49 PM »

Similar to the other video but a little different
https://youtu.be/UwbwGvAWBjE

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2018, 09:37:54 PM »

Do you think gold coloured swivels to attach the leader make any difference in fishing results

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2018, 12:25:09 AM »

Some guy was on here was selling roe flys made out of yarn a few yrs ago. Can't remember who? Said they worked better then roe.

They are made out of Rabbit fur, with single eggs attached under the fur. I often did very well for steelhead with them (especially in bait ban flows), but salmon seem to key in on scent rather than sight in my experience. They do work on salmon, but I'd choose roe over the "roe flies" if I had the choice for coho/chinook.

Going back onto topic of this thread... I rarely fish wool anymore for any fish. Back when I used to, I actually used to get a fair number of Chinook on a light teal blue colour. Black/red combo was my next fav for chinook. I've personally never done well for coho with wool. Some guys swear by peach wool, but a good majority of "those guys" I've talked to have been fishing 2 feet deeper than the depth of the run with a 5 foot leader, so I tend to believe they aren't actually biting it.

If you're wanting to go cheap, but effective, try out jigs and colorado blades. They work very well on coho (often times better than roe). Colorado blades you can use the trailing hook method to save on cost of swivels/split rings/open eye hooks. Jigs just buy a few beau mac or firststrikelure jigs. I like to stick with bright pinks with a hint of chartreuse (green). Once you've caught a few does on blades/jigs, you can cure your own roe!

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2018, 12:13:39 PM »

What is the most effective way of salmon fishing? I was drifting roe and the guy 5 meters above me had 4 bites in short period of time. It turned out he used a piece of yarn. The second day, He came late, After squeezed in the spot, he used the same piece of yarn caught a coho in second cast. Why the fish bite the piece of junk instead of real bait? The cured eggs is the similar color to his yarn color.

bobby b

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2018, 12:22:40 PM »

Depends.... was he short floating the yarn ... or going deep and flossing 'em? 

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2018, 12:43:55 PM »

Depends.... was he short floating the yarn ... or going deep and flossing 'em?

6' from float to weight and 2' leader. I have the same set up. and drift almost the same area. He likes to yank at the end of the drift. but I didn't think the fish were flossed.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2018, 12:49:17 PM »

They are made out of Rabbit fur, with single eggs attached under the fur. I often did very well for steelhead with them (especially in bait ban flows), but salmon seem to key in on scent rather than sight in my experience. They do work on salmon, but I'd choose roe over the "roe flies" if I had the choice for coho/chinook.

Going back onto topic of this thread... I rarely fish wool anymore for any fish. Back when I used to, I actually used to get a fair number of Chinook on a light teal blue colour. Black/red combo was my next fav for chinook. I've personally never done well for coho with wool. Some guys swear by peach wool, but a good majority of "those guys" I've talked to have been fishing 2 feet deeper than the depth of the run with a 5 foot leader, so I tend to believe they aren't actually biting it.

If you're wanting to go cheap, but effective, try out jigs and colorado blades. They work very well on coho (often times better than roe). Colorado blades you can use the trailing hook method to save on cost of swivels/split rings/open eye hooks. Jigs just buy a few beau mac or firststrikelure jigs. I like to stick with bright pinks with a hint of chartreuse (green). Once you've caught a few does on blades/jigs, you can cure your own roe!
Everyday has told it as it is. Also ask the Master his thoughts on using just wool for salmon, maybe jigs  spoons or blades but just wool, No.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2018, 12:50:19 PM »

6' from float to weight and 2' leader. I have the same set up. and drift almost the same area. He likes to yank at the end of the drift. but I didn't think the fish were flossed.

Then those fish were flossed...I hate idiots who do that. All they do is spook fish that otherwise would bite.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2018, 01:23:57 PM »

Then those fish were flossed...I hate idiots who do that. All they do is spook fish that otherwise would bite.
You too have it right. The sockeye activity has bred a new type, and I use the term loosely angler.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2018, 03:02:59 PM »

Dont know why he was ripping at the end of the drift but using a tiny piece of wool after the first light bite when the pool has been hammered does really work. Lots of Cap locals just hammer after poachers have worked through using 2 ft of 6-8lb fluro and a dime size piece of peach or pink wool.
I know how to catch fish.......Sometimes.

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2018, 08:32:26 PM »

I try to maintain 2 feet between the float and the swivel , and then 20 inches from the swivel to the hook

I recently tried bead fishing with no luck , I used a bobber stopper to peg a Cleardrift soft bead 2- 3 inches above the hook.

any other members have luck using beads for salmon ?

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2018, 08:36:48 PM »

I try to maintain 2 feet between the float and the swivel , and then 20 inches from the swivel to the hook

I recently tried bead fishing with no luck , I used a bobber stopper to peg a Cleardrift soft bead 2- 3 inches above the hook.

I saw an angler have some luck with them on the lower Vedder a couple weeks ago - that's all he was fishing whenever I saw him.  He hooked both Springs and Coho with them.  From what I have seen/read, you want your bead bouncing along the bottom as if it were an egg, so you need a longer leader than if fishing with wool or roe, but it is even more important to have a dead drift with your float and lead.  I bought some beads a couple weeks ago, but I've yet to bust them out.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2018, 09:27:39 PM »

Why you maintain 2 feet between the float and the swivel? you need adjust the depth depends on the water and maintain your presentation close to the bottom not more than two feet.

I think bait is the best choice for salmon on average. Fished Vedder 3 times this season. Two trips in vain with a fly rod. third trip switched to roe drifting, easily picked 2 coho one spring.