Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing with Yarn/Wool  (Read 16782 times)

Salmon__Slayer

Fishing with Yarn/Wool
« on: September 30, 2018, 12:37:16 AM »

Hello,

In hopes to avoid spending money on roe , I am hoping to learn how to float fish with wool for salmon. any tips on how I should present the wool.

Do I just slip the piece using a bait loop knot , or is there any tips and techniques that are favourable for salmon.

I am particularly targeting chum and coho salmon

:)

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing with Yarn/Wool
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 05:19:47 AM »

Try blending 2 or more colors, and trim it very small - like thumbnail to pinky nail size.  You basically want the silhouette of a single egg.  If it starts to develop a tail, trim it off.  Coho will hit orange, hot pink, purple, and some swear they bite very pale almost white but I don't know if I believe it.  Chum favor cerise, chartreuse, purple.  I met an old timer who fishes the Vedder exclusively with Steelhead Orange wool and has caught many salmon and steelhead over the years.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 06:15:03 AM »

I saw some people bottom fishing salmon with a piece of wool. And they caught a lot

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 10:15:09 AM »

Try blending 2 or more colors, and trim it very small - like thumbnail to pinky nail size.  You basically want the silhouette of a single egg.  If it starts to develop a tail, trim it off.  Coho will hit orange, hot pink, purple, and some swear they bite very pale almost white but I don't know if I believe it.  Chum favor cerise, chartreuse, purple.  I met an old timer who fishes the Vedder exclusively with Steelhead Orange wool and has caught many salmon and steelhead over the years.

Thanks I am gonna use some peach wool for coho , as personally I think it’s the closest colour to a natural egg

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 10:16:37 AM »

I saw some people bottom fishing salmon with a piece of wool. And they caught a lot

I am guessing the would most likely get into a lot of snags. The rivers I fish are to small to even think about bottom fishing.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 10:18:38 AM »

I am guessing the would most likely get into a lot of snags. The rivers I fish are to small to even think about bottom fishing.

Lots of pocket fisherman fish pink wool under a float

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 11:48:52 AM »

Thanks I am gonna use some peach wool for coho , as personally I think it’s the closest colour to a natural egg
.......try adding a red or orange centre to the peach.....chartreuse when the water is coloured
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 01:57:59 PM »

bottom fishing is not bottom bouncing. There is no snag in bottom fishing at all.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 02:20:35 PM »

bottom fishing; do you mean like with a bar-rig and/or weight the sits right on the bottom?

Snagly

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 04:30:14 PM »

Please ignore the fact that liners/snaggers/bottom bouncers often put yarn on their hook to create the pretense that the fish they are snagging (hooked outside-in in the scissors) are actually eating the yarn.

Fishing yarn is a legitimate and deadly way to catch steelhead and salmon. As others have mentioned, a multi-color, nicely trimmed yarn ball from the size of a thumbnail down to a 10mm Jensen egg emulates roe as it drifts through the water. I had a guide in Alaska who used 4 colors in each tiny yarn ball: orange, cerise, peach, chartreuse. His theory was that on any given day, the fish would key on one of the colors. The other three didn't matter: as long as the fish saw one that was attractive, it would eat.

As long as the visibility was 3' or more, he'd fish yarn in preference to any other method as it was effective, cheap and easily replaced.

There are three ways to fish yarn:

1. On a fly rod with a sinktip, and swung or cast 45 degrees upstream and dead drifted (high stick nymphing)

2. Under a float just as you'd fish a bead, using a spinning reel, baitcaster, centerpin, or a fly rod and indicator

3. Drift fished on a 24" (plus or minus) leader--NOT 4' or 6'--with either split shot, a slinky or pencil lead to allow it to be drift fished and swung.
"One and done" to limit our impact on wild steelhead

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 05:03:05 PM »

bottom fishing; do you mean like with a bar-rig and/or weight the sits right on the bottom?

Yes, the river flow is very slow.  They sink the yarn to the bottom and wait.  They simple use a small piece of yarn as bait. It is hard to believe until I saw a fish caught

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2018, 05:18:34 PM »

Yes, the river flow is very slow.  They sink the yarn to the bottom and wait.  They simple use a small piece of yarn as bait. It is hard to believe until I saw a fish caught

I am guessing this would work for pockets of water with a slow current. But wouldn’t the weight likely get stuck up on river rocks and such.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2018, 06:14:43 PM »

Some guy was on here was selling roe flys made out of yarn a few yrs ago. Can't remember who? Said they worked better then roe.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2018, 07:04:24 PM »

Some guy was on here was selling roe flys made out of yarn a few yrs ago. Can't remember who? Said they worked better then roe.

Everyday

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2018, 07:47:59 PM »

will tie my own for now , and if I have no luck will look into buying some then ;D