Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 156435 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Why even tell us this? it did make me laugh at how unnecessary a comment  ;D.. I bet the river changed a lot. I told my friend where the hop spot is so  :P to everyone on the forums xD
I put that in especially for you as I felt you needed a laugh. :D Fishing is a hobby and so we must not to take things too serious. Also when when you get to my age it does not really matter.lol.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 11:18:43 PM by chris gadsden »

fic

• Old Timer

Yesterday, visibility in the lower started with about 1.6 feet in the morning. In the afternoon, trees and branches started coming down and it deteriorated to like 6 inches or less.  With the rain today, it is probably worse. Just in time for weekend fishing.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Was OK this AM but did color once and a while as the bank is being eroded somewhere. We had some activity in another hot spot Aaron.lol

b8floater

Here's a short little river report I did for yesterday's conditions.
https://youtu.be/O-ppJV4YkgE

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season

Short video, but very helpful to fishers like me who have to travel 100kms to fish. Thank you for that...showed enough to know the conditions.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

i looked at the lower at dark and it did not look too good, Rod was going out so he may have a better report for you.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Haha.. glad to hear it! I had an awesome day myself.. on another system :). Hopefully get another shot out there some time.. if not, well, steels not far away now is it :)
Can you tell us the "Hot Spot"? lol

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

No.. but I can say it was SUPER HOT, and I even told a bud on here where it was ;). Hahaha. Hows the Vedders Coho run doing? Are there typically many late Coho through November?
Many of us know these spots especially us old guys that have fished there before you were born.lol

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Just looked at the river, yes in the dark with a light and it has improved since last night, should be OK but there may be some slide action from the clay slides so conditions can change. We say it yesterday as some banks caved it,in the Lowerereachs of the river, it was mud for a bit and then cleared

Kever

Saw this hoar frost in the upper river valley today; almost hairy/feathery in appearance. Never seen anything like it before. Very cool, literally and figuratively  :)

Morty and I came across aprox 25 chum that had become stranded in a side channel when the water receded. Using a net, and a times our bare hands, we captured them and released them into the main river. Does that mean we had a 25 fish day?   

If you assume 8 fish return for each spawning pair then you could say you had a 122 fish day! Hahaha

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

It's called a "Frost Flower"
Dead wood soaks up the water but when it starts to freeze it forces the water out of the cracks as the wood starts to contract into freeze (below zero) type temps and builds on itself.
I've seen them a foot or more high.

I actually search them out in the upper if I'm up there early enough.

Depending on the temps they don't last long.

milo

• Old Timer

It's called a "Frost Flower"
Dead wood soaks up the water but when it starts to freeze it forces the water out of the cracks as the wood starts to contract into freeze (below zero) type temps and builds on itself.
I've seen them a foot or more high.

I actually search them out in the upper if I'm up there early enough.

Depending on the temps they don't last long.
Fascinating...thank you for the explanation.

yoda

Checked out the vedder yesterday. Water still up and raging. vis was 6-8" and clearing up. Hooked a yellow spring and 3 chums past their prime. Think the run is pretty much over. Went up to tamahi rapids to see how the crowd was doing. The whole group only had 4 killed boot chums and no cohoes. Also talked to the fisheries count guy and he said it is really slow and coming to an end.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Saw a chap get 4 Coho salmon in the lower two days ago 3 on jigs and one on a blade. I went and bought a $4 jig but have not tried it yet.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

Saw a chap get 4 Coho salmon in the lower two days ago 3 on jigs and one on a blade. I went and bought a $4 jig but have not tried it yet.

I made the switch to the jog twitching train 3 years ago and haven't looked back. There's nothing wrong with spoons and roe but jig seem to get more bites for me personally.