Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 156411 times)

bobby b

You are really good. I fished vedder crossing, nothing. Fished loooooog way upper river, nothing either.
Fished canal later afternoon, caught one wild coho and a hatchery jack coho. I did not see many fish today. All the fish must go to the hatchery already.

Haha ... thanks ...
Nah ... right place right time. My casting still sucks though... I prob need a lesson or 2 with this Switch/Skagit setup... my river left casts are good but river right is still hard for me.

Lots still in the lower ... I got there today at 11am .. no bites at all until noon. All of a sudden the bite was on! Got 2 fish 2 casts in a row with an olive muddler.  Slowed down for a bit then I swapped flies (chartreuse muddler) and got into quite a few ... I also lost four other fish!!

I tried roe for a bit and tried jigs too... nothing. Fly ruled today!

Old Blue

You are really good. I fished vedder crossing, nothing. Fished loooooog way upper river, nothing either.
Fished canal later afternoon, caught one wild coho and a hatchery jack coho. I did not see many fish today. All the fish must go to the hatchery already.

Still early Steve, most fish have been below the Crossing except for the earlier coho that shot right up.  This week should be great if everything doesn't blow out

psd1179

• Old Timer

Haha ... thanks ...
Nah ... right place right time. My casting still sucks though... I prob need a lesson or 2 with this Switch/Skagit setup... my river left casts are good but river right is still hard for me.

Lots still in the lower ... I got there today at 11am .. no bites at all until noon. All of a sudden the bite was on! Got 2 fish 2 casts in a row with an olive muddler.  Slowed down for a bit then I swapped flies (chartreuse muddler) and got into quite a few ... I also lost four other fish!!

I tried roe for a bit and tried jigs too... nothing. Fly ruled today!

I guess you use snap T on river left. Actually, river right is easier if you use double spey or snake roll. very efficient .

bobby b

Yes ... I use snap t on river left, I am definitely getting better at that. I still need more practice with double Spey for river right. Have not even attempted a snake roll yet.

dave c

Curious.  How is clarity today??? Thanks.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?

mikeyman

Go to a diff river. Vedder blown. I shoulda known. Oh well.

milo

• Old Timer

Was there any clarity at all? 6 inches to a foot?
My friend just called me to tell me it's chocolate brown. He's heading to one of the northern tribs.

spoiler

so I figured the Vedder would be blown but I needed to get out of the house so I go for a drive and a look.
I drive over the crossing bridge and there's 3 "new Canadians" fishing ( and I use that term loosely) fishing in total mud just above the bridge on the inside of the bend. It was pretty obvious what they were up to, casting or should I say dipping in the really fast water trying to either snag or floss the fish.
Is just me or do any of you other guys think this is a big issue? As I have mentioned before on this forum, I have fished this system since 1966 and seen a lot of things but this and what goes on up at the boulder run makes my blood boil!!!
I guess these people probably equate their fishing to cost per LB of retained fish. It costs them money for gas to drive out from Richmond or Vancouver so they not willing to turn around and go home because the river is unfishable so they use whatever means possible to catch fish regardless of ethics.   

montegobay man

What new Canadain's are we  talking about from Richmond  B.C ??  I agree  with you Snagger's Flosser's  are very bad   but  Googgan's know better  lol

spoiler

if you want to know what I'm talking about, just drive out and have a look!
Oh and by the way, for all you real fishermen the river is high and chocolate brown with vis at about 2"!
So save your gas money and stay home or try the streams on the North shore of the Fraser

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season

k.
I drive over the crossing bridge and there's 3 "new Canadians" fishing ( and I use that term loosely) fishing in total mud just above the bridge.

.... It costs them money for gas to drive out from Richmond or Vancouver so they not willing to turn around and go home because the river is unfishable so they use whatever means possible to catch fish regardless of ethics.

I too despise snaggers, flossers, and rippers... but why do you feel it necessary to emphasize that they were Asian when there's as many flossers of European descent doing the same thing? If memory serves me right, it was a group of Whites back in the late 80's that introduced bottom bouncing on the Vedder.  So if you want to racially profile, let's take some of the accountability for this debacle and not create animosity like they're experiencing below the 49th. You could also blame the sockeye fishery for the ethical carry over sanctioned by the Federal Government.

Flossers are flossers....despicable regardless of race.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 04:58:42 PM by blaydRnr »

BBarley

It’s funny how on fishing forums with so called “seasoned anglers” who know right and wrong, (as far as our bible of angling ethics is concerned) we condemn these people with such shame as if they blatantly know where they’re doing is wrong and flat out don’t care. I floss sockeye, have been doing it all my life, but if I went out today and floated some yarn with a 4 foot leader under a float I’d be branded all kinds of deragatory fishing terms, basically the scum of the sport. Yet we keep coming back to the well and complain about them as if public shaming will somehow turn them all to the light.

If it really bothers you that badly, have a friendly chat with them. If they turn you away because their English is poor then so be it. Otherwise educate them, they may not change their behaviour but at least they understand what they’re doing is viewed as wrong and unethical. Or if your like me, turn a blind eye to it, hike into some semi secluded water and chalk it up as the price of doing business on a hatchery enhanced river.

As others have said, river is high and brown but the peak has come (according to the graph) and the rain has mostly stopped. Fresh snow in the high alpine should help the flow a little lower then it otherwise would of been.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 05:57:45 PM by BBarley »

mikeyman

Ya i was above the banks fishing below 3 Asians that were all short floating roe today. Then 6 eastern Europeans showed up using 5 ft leaders and tried to take my spot. I left after I asked for some room as they came up almost within shoulder distance. Wasnt worth it given conditions and old boots splashing around with no chrome seen.

mikeyman

Not with this rain. Go to chehalis or the slough or stave or bar fish fraser.