Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 156428 times)

243Pete

Wednesday was alright, first light in the canal wasn't to bad as I hooked a nice coho and two chum, buddy got a nice hatchery and a chum as well. Saw a nice push of chum move through the canal at around 9-ish which was cool to watch as they made a nice wake through the shallow area. Hooked a nice spring on the jig on the mid canal but I couldn't for the life of me land anything to hand on Wednesday but oh well that is how things go... and having a fish run into a friends leg and bend the hook out doesn't help either.  :o
But conditions were better on Wednesday for sure as the water mid river was a nice teal-ish green and kept fish a little more bitey.
Today was sssuuuuuupppperrr slow, buddy managed two nice hatch cohos and a jack spring and all I got was a wild stick so I gently released it back into the river to spawn. ;D
Water was gin clear so I'm thinking with all the low water and clear conditions fish are just moving as fast as possible to spawning ground/ hatchery.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Last week and today one thing that struck me is that compared to other years, chum are all but absent. DFO has already noted that returns are lower than expected. Any word if they will close retention?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bobby b

Hits few spots in the lower yesterday.. nothin'.
 Then Mid river in the afternoon. I fished my freshly cured Spring roe and caught  2 big Spring and a Jack ... One was clean, the other and the Jack were a bit coloured but not too bad... I let 'em all go as my quarry was Coho..
At around 4pm Caught 3 Wild Coho...then finally, just as I was about to call it a day, got 2 hatchery Coho... a 4lb doe and a 6.5lb buck. Made my day  ;D

Guys on either side of me were getting nothing but Chum after Chum ... I think they were giving me the stink eye when I was landing my Coho's

River sure dropping fast .. No rain in the forecast at all...   

243Pete

Last week and today one thing that struck me is that compared to other years, chum are all but absent. DFO has already noted that returns are lower than expected. Any word if they will close retention?

Seen a fair number of them move through the canal but they seem to be heading straight to the spawning areas and not holding, probably because of the low water levels. When the water is clear the are tight lipped at times cause you will see fish surfacing but not always biting.
I think the blow outs the rivers had has something to do with this, I made some bad predictions for the pinks last year cause of how the river blew out on the Squamish and Vedder in the years previous and the returns were realllly bad. So you can kinda say the same thing for the chum as well cause any spawned eggs probably got washed away or covered.
If the numbers coming back are low enough they might close retention but that is a maybe I would guess, have to wait and see what happens cause there might be some fish still returning.

dobrolub

pray for the rain :)

psd1179

• Old Timer

Hits few spots in the lower yesterday.. nothin'.
 Then Mid river in the afternoon. I fished my freshly cured Spring roe and caught  2 big Spring and a Jack ... One was clean, the other and the Jack were a bit coloured but not too bad... I let 'em all go as my quarry was Coho..
At around 4pm Caught 3 Wild Coho...then finally, just as I was about to call it a day, got 2 hatchery Coho... a 4lb doe and a 6.5lb buck. Made my day  ;D

Guys on either side of me were getting nothing but Chum after Chum ... I think they were giving me the stink eye when I was landing my Coho's

River sure dropping fast .. No rain in the forecast at all...

Looks like you had magic roe. Chinook taste much better than Coho IMO

bobby b

Chinook taste much better than Coho IMO

The fish or the roe... ;D  I prefer to eat Coho .... maybe the fish prefer to eat Chinook eggs..

Had coho for dinner tonight ... crispy skin pan fried filet with roast potatoes and fire grilled Fennel and Tomatoes it was yum..  :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 09:08:10 PM by bobby b »

psd1179

• Old Timer

The fish or the roe... ;D  I prefer to eat Coho .... maybe the fish prefer to eat Chinook eggs..

Had coho for dinner tonight ... crispy skin pan fried filet with roast potatoes and fire grilled Fennel and Tomatoes it was yum..  :)

I would like to keep chinook than coho. Coho has a kind of fish smell. Especially after curing so many coho eggs, whenever I bite a coho flash, I feel a full mouth of bait.

CohoJake

• Old Timer

I would like to keep chinook than coho. Coho has a kind of fish smell. Especially after curing so many coho eggs, whenever I bite a coho flash, I feel a full mouth of bait.
If you haven't kept a Chilliwack coho this year I encourage you to give it a try.  They are better tasting this year than I have had in a long time.  Of course, the springs have been very tasty this year as well, with a high ratio of very red marble flesh.

psd1179

• Old Timer

If you haven't kept a Chilliwack coho this year I encourage you to give it a try.  They are better tasting this year than I have had in a long time.  Of course, the springs have been very tasty this year as well, with a high ratio of very red marble flesh.

I bonked one coho. It smells like the bait I use. I was wondering if it was contaminated by the roe.

https://youtu.be/R4cLcg0xqLs

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

With no rain in the forecast, this is gonna primarily be a first light fishery for awhile. This morning the bite was short lived, everything shut off at 7:30am. Five float downs, one hatchery coho around 6lb on the beach, released another hatchery coho jack, and lost a rather big coho on the spoon just before I went home at 8:00am. Not many people out, it was a rather pleasant experience as always! :D

milo

• Old Timer

With no rain in the forecast, this is gonna primarily be a first light fishery for awhile.

Nice to see how the experienced ones are keeping mum about how good the fishing has been lately throughout the day and not just first light. ::)
It seems that the uber popular spots that attract the masses like flies to dung keep the pressure off the more secluded locations where top rods are nailing coho day in and day out. ;D

ByteMe

Nice to see how the experienced ones are keeping mum about how good the fishing has been lately throughout the day and not just first light. ::)
It seems that the uber popular spots that attract the masses like flies to dung keep the pressure off the more secluded locations where top rods are nailing coho day in and day out. ;D

You are learning, GRASSHOPPER ;)
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

While doing a cleanup in the Canal today where I picked up a fair amount of line and a bucket of garbage. ::) A chap said there wasa lot of chum caught yesterday, saw a few either caught when I or already on the beach.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

No longer a secret now. ;)