Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 156429 times)

BMo86

I get the whole first light bite theory but for guys to say that’s the only time to catch fish baffles me I got 2 nice hos back to back at 3pm yesterday

spoiler

not the only time but usually the best time when we have these conditions. Once the river comes up and gets a bit of color you can catch fish all day long.

mikeyman

Reports? Hitting cheddar first light. Gong!

Marsman

Fished today above the crossing.  Water was low and clear.  Seen fish rising but could get them to bite.  Roe, blades, jigs.. Nothing worked.  Oh Well.  Next time.

Rob

BBarley

Am I missing something in the canal??? Every time I pass over the KWB/1 I see what looks like pilings stacked close together. Couldn't believe it today when I passed over, looked like sockeye season out there :P

DanL

• Old Timer

Was out yesterday and there was a short first light bite, then extremely tough after that. Low and clear, as others have said. With some upcoming rain it should be a different story over the next few days. Going to take a break then work it hard after next weekend.

Am I missing something in the canal??? Every time I pass over the KWB/1 I see what looks like pilings stacked close together. Couldn't believe it today when I passed over, looked like sockeye season out there :P

Just for interests sake you should head down one day there just observe, you'll see why. The anglers are clustered around the choke points where the fish gather and hang out.

Considering how long it is, most of the canal is actually not very fishable, but where it turns into something fish will hold in, you'll see the anglers jam in there tighter than the fish. Mostly when the water runs against one bank or the other, and has a deeper slot or run. Between one 'holding pool' and the next, there are often long shallow stretches where the fish probably aren't keen to navigate during the day, so once it's bright out, they are more or less stuck.

It would actually be a really good place to fish if it wasnt for all the people. I havent seen very many arguments on the Vedder, but when I do it's almost always in the canal, particularly directly under KWB. No fish is worth that stress when there are many other productive spots.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

River conditions didn't change at all despite of the showers we had since yesterday. Spent a few hours this afternoon fishing without anyone around so it was lovely, a jack and a couple of missed bites, while seeing a few nice fish rolling were the bonuses.

CohoJake

• Old Timer

And it was COOOLD upriver.  I was surprised to see my breath while fishing on a September afternoon.  I wonder if the cold front kept the fish from moving because there seemed to be far fewer coho making their way upriver compared to yesterday.

armytruck

• Old Timer

Got  a late start today but decided to give it a go. Drove up to the slab to see a couple springs in tow . I walked up to limits hole to look at fish staging before the hatchery. I found 4 people fishing in the closed area . 2 of them were fighting fish and I yelled at them to stop and showed them the signage along side of the banks . They had a hard time understanding me but got the message and moved down below  the triangle . Went down the backside of tamahi with no takers . Nice water flowing and had it all to myself so it didn’t matter if I was catching anything . Went down to the gravel pit in the lower , again it was quiet. Seen a couple brought in way up from me .
Wasn’t so bad a day or half day
Tight lines mates  8)
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?

saw the first chum of the season caught today. fully equipped with teeth and battle stripes. in my books thats an early chum for the vedder.

CohoJake

• Old Timer

saw the first chum of the season caught today. fully equipped with teeth and battle stripes. in my books thats an early chum for the vedder.
I saw half a dozen up at the slab today, including a couple landed, the rest just cruising by.

milo

• Old Timer

I saw half a dozen up at the slab today, including a couple landed, the rest just cruising by.
I caught a chum ten days ago. Huge, toothy and wearing their signature stripes. Friend of mine caught one a few days before me. The chum recon squad enters the Vedder early to mid September.

BBarley

Just for interests sake you should head down one day there just observe, you'll see why. The anglers are clustered around the choke points where the fish gather and hang out.

It would actually be a really good place to fish if it wasnt for all the people. I havent seen very many arguments on the Vedder, but when I do it's almost always in the canal, particularly directly under KWB. No fish is worth that stress when there are many other productive spots.

I feel like you have given me enough to go off that not being around that particular area is in my best interest. Guys standing side by side flossing out the salmon in the ugly ol canal probably won't lead to any revolutionary discoveries that will enhance my fishing experience/knowledge moving forward.

Tangles

Why do you assume everyone fishing the canal is a flosser/snagger? Last time I fished along with 10 other guys - all friendly and respectful, shortfloating roe and having a good time. Not a single snagged fish to see that day and everyone had a good time.

lapa

Why do you assume everyone fishing the canal is a flosser/snagger? Last time I fished along with 10 other guys - all friendly and respectful, shortfloating roe and having a good time. Not a single snagged fish to see that day and everyone had a good time.
X2