Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33

Author Topic: 2018 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 156469 times)

milo

• Old Timer

That’s fine rod. I know it’s tiring but you can’t say on this forum “ just leave” or go to other places,  you didn’t do that before right?( video above),  so I am advocating shaming these people so we all have “ non tiring fishing days” where we enjoy our day ! I’d rather say the fish beat me vs the “river baristas”did.  Peace

It is his forum and he can say and do what he pleases.
Leave him alone to tender to his family and fish in a way he finds enjoyment.

"Just leave and go to other places" is the smartest advice Rod can give these days. The population in the Valley has almost doubled since Rod started his forum, and this has put much more pressure and created additional challenges on the river. Why do you think most of us old-timers rarely show up on the Vedder anymore? For many of us it is because we have indeed found other, better places to fish and maybe other hobbies to enjoy.
Life is too short to let our downtime be spoiled by idiots on the river.

Peace to you too and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Kever

Float rippers used to bother me a lot, so I used to try to educate people when I saw unethical fishing practices. I haven't fished much lately so I was just happy to be out on the river on a beautiful day. That being said, I probably would have hooked into a few more fish if they weren't so spooked. Comments in this thread have "lit a fire under my butt" to resume educating fisherman on the river, especially because the offending parties told me they were new to fishing.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 11:59:56 AM by Kever »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

The vedder is pretty much the only productive place to fish for salmon left in the lower-mainland. Coho is looking like it will be closed this year till oct 24 on the Fraser by then the majority of the run has passed.

The other small systems in the lower mainland u can fish everyday they are open and be lucky to land a hand full of fish the 1 day they decide to push though after a large rain event.

All tho I don’t think rod was saying to fish a different system just to walk 20-40 mins down the flow and you may find some reserve frog water to fish in by yourself lol

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 09:12:20 AM by wildmanyeah »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

That’s fine rod. I know it’s tiring but you can’t say on this forum “ just leave” or go to other places,  you didn’t do that before right?( video above),  so I am advocating shaming these people so we all have “ non tiring fishing days” where we enjoy our day ! I’d rather say the fish beat me vs the “river baristas”did.  Peace

That was tongue and cheek Cam, that's why there was a ;D at the end. Don't take what I say too serious. ;)

If people see unethical activities happening, say something of course. I personally don't take the shaming approach, for obvious reasons.

BBarley

Have you noticed any nicks or fraying in the line?  I wonder if there is a bur on the arbor or it is somehow malfunctioning.  Also check that your guides are intact - if they are the kind with ceramic rings, one chip in the ring can cause lots of break-offs and shredded line.

Thanks, going to do a very thorough inspection of the reel/bail and my guides today and try and find out what's causing the issue. May put that rod out of commission and just switch to floating jigs if I can't rectify the problem.

ali2pali

Rod can do whatever he pleases. People are entitled to change their minds about things. Can we just stick to the reports?  If u wanna second guess people's decision making I suggest u start a new thread.

mikeyman

My opinion I have expressed here before. Lots disagreed. But it is ignorant to run a fishing website and respond in that way. Acknowledge the issue and promote change in response as has been done before.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Respond in what way? lol... I fish however I want during my free time, which means avoid confrontations and minimize the preaching. Some here can't seem to distinguish between that and the work I do in the community.

Ranting and attacking others on a online discussion forum is not how you're going to change people's ways, sorry to be the bearer of this bad news.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 11:36:19 AM by Rodney »

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

I think it is a highly personal choice to confront, to shame, or to approach politely but inform others about the rule, or to just walk away and fish in peace away from the crowd. It is not the business of this fishing forum to encourage conflicts such as confrontations between fishermen. Leave that to the CO to police the rivers. Call DFO if we don't like it. I say it is a personal choice and perhaps even a situational choice because if you weigh less than 150 lbs and the guy is over 200 lbs, or when you are approaching a group of them, you need to calculate the risk of doing so. Think of your family first (lol). Bear in mind that some of those folks used to serve in armies from their native countries and they know how to treat an 'enemy' approaching them with threats.  Let's just respect Rod's choice and each others' choices on how they want to deal with these situations.

iblly

• Old Timer

My opinion I have expressed here before. Lots disagreed. But it is ignorant to run a fishing website and respond in that way. Acknowledge the issue and promote change in response as has been done before.
Start your own fishing site and run it how ever you please.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Also, just to add to my previous comment lol....

Never once did I say walk away. I said fish places where no one else is fishing. ;) If my short legs can get to those places, so can you. ;D

Steelhawk summed it up nicely. It's a personal and situational choice.

cammer

• I'm a llama!

Rod, I get your circumstance very clearly and I agree keep civil and below a boiling point !  However that video ANd others go contrary to what u used to portray!  If you keep putting out videos of “how to do fish this way and that “ you can’t pick your soap box and avoid the issue . Letting someone know that’s inappropriate is easy and doesn’t have to be life threatening but it “has to be said” period

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Again... I must be speaking Chinese or something lol... I've never said don't approach someone. I said, fish somewhere where no one else fishes, like what I've been doing... lol...

And that video? It's 8 year old, people do grow in 8 years. ;)

The video content I put out now, the message I broadcast, the approach I take, is very different to pre-2010.

I'm not avoiding the issue, I do a lot more than I need to. I just don't have the desire to shame people or confront people in a confrontational manner.

Tangles

So hows fishing been lately guys? Let's get this thread back on track

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Obviously terrible judging by the discussion. ;D
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33