Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

I believe climate change is significantly caused by people

Yes
No
I dont know

Author Topic: People cause climate change  (Read 18669 times)

Fatso

People cause climate change
« on: September 05, 2018, 09:05:17 PM »

Should we as fisherman be concerned?  Is this something we have control over?
What do you think?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 09:22:32 PM by Fatso »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: People cause climate change
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 08:24:05 AM »

Yes and yes.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Ry the fly guy

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 09:42:35 AM »

Yes, any and all human beings should be concerned, just because one may not be in the position to create major change, it doesn't change the fact that every little bit counts. One day future generations will be thankful we started now.

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 03:37:31 PM »

depends on what significantly means. Significant climate change has occurred since the dawn of age without our involvement (ice age). Are we helping? probably to some degree
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

BBarley

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 03:46:53 PM »

People accelerate climate change, but we aren't the only source. Planet has gone through many heating and cooling cycles before. My concern is that the exponential change we are implementing to the natural warming cycle will drastically impact population abundances and scarcities beyond which we can control.

No one person can reinvent the wheel and the planet won't be saved by buying a smart car and eating organic, but major changes can be had by something as simple as picking up some asshats coffee cup or a roe stained ziploc bag.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 04:15:28 PM »

depends on what significantly means. Significant climate change has occurred since the dawn of age without our involvement (ice age). Are we helping? probably to some degree

typically science uses probability statements to identify significance for example that variable x is probable to have caused the change in variable y at the '95% level of signficance'. Put another way the change in y has a 5% or less chance of having been caused by something other than x.

Most estimates for temperature increases since 1950 are likely to have been caused by human activity at the 95% level of significance.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Robert_G

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 04:45:53 PM »

Human beings are so arrogant that I'm embarrassed to be one. The actual mere thought that people think that human beings are able to have an effect on the climate is laughable at best.
A most human caused scenario would be the example of human caused forest fires or Hong Kong type pollution blotting out the sun....therefore having a slight cooling effect on the afternoon high temperatures.

Anything more than that is nothing more than man thinking he's greater and more powerful than he actually is.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 04:48:50 PM »

Human beings are so arrogant that I'm embarrassed to be one. The actual mere thought that people think that human beings are able to have an effect on the climate is laughable at best.
A most human caused scenario would be the example of human caused forest fires or Hong Kong type pollution blotting out the sun....therefore having a slight cooling effect on the afternoon high temperatures.

Anything more than that is nothing more than man thinking he's greater and more powerful than he actually is.

lol........

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 05:01:48 PM »

Human beings are so arrogant that I'm embarrassed to be one...

Me too! I am embarrassed you are one as well! :o

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 05:14:11 PM »

You actually believe what you wrote ? ::)

chironomidking

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 07:09:53 PM »

Should we as fisherman be concerned?  Is this something we have control over?
What do you think?

I think the bigger issue is polluting.  Plastic and cig butts in our waters, fracking chemicals in our ground water, garbage burried in landfills..... it is unbelievable that we do not incinerate our garbage and create energy like most european countries.  A$& hats who toss out cigarette butts without a forethought that it is littering drive me nuts - can’t fix stupid i guess and that goes for law makers too.  How can we expect to address climate change when we can’t even keep trash out of the environment.  And don’t get me going on illegal dumpers.

Robert_G

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 07:17:45 PM »

You actually believe what you wrote ? ::)

Fact is there are thousands of scientists who agree with me and everyone of them is muzzled by mainstream media and those in charge. Too many sheep can't see the left wing progressive agenda right in front of their faces.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 08:03:53 PM »

Facts are the earths climate has gone up and down for longer than humans have been on this planet. I am not a scientist. Nor do I pretend to be one. I do however try my best to do my own research. We live in a time where google search results are delivered to every single individual thru a very complex maze of algorithms. The systems knows what you like, your political leanings, beliefs and even as I type its filling in the blanks. That type of thing. Search results given to an individual who is a believer in man made climate change will just reinforce those beliefs. While someone who is against it will have their beliefs reinforced with search results that counter. We have never lived in a time where we have so much data at our fingertips but yet been fed so much missinformation.

I dont know what to believe and I certainly dont care to be told what to believe that's for sure. I've always felt that these things are presented to working class people as the new age Dragon causing terror in the village. Tools used by the elite to distract people. Tools like climate change are used to further demonize human beings. Racism is another tool used to turn people against people. So are left and right political parties. All these things are used to distract us from the real enemy of human kind. The mega rich global elite families that control governments around the world for centuries.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 08:20:03 PM by Hike_and_fish »

RG

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 09:07:04 PM »

Fact is there are thousands of scientists who agree with me and everyone of them is muzzled by mainstream media and those in charge. Too many sheep can't see the left wing progressive agenda right in front of their faces.

I'm not sure if you're choosing ignorance, trolling or simply not aware of the widely accepted facts but I politely encourage you to have a look at the links below.  The right wing really loves to push the idea that there's this balance in scientific opinions on climate change, there isn't.

Also, being progressive is a good thing, whether you lean right or left of centre

http://www.un.org/en/sections/issues-depth/climate-change/

https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

John Revolver

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2018, 09:36:10 PM »

Yes of course human activity is accelerating climate change.

The Earth is also prone to natural heating and cooling cycles and from what I've read solar radiation activity is increasing as well.

The Earth will be just fine. In terms of Geological time the Earth will correct itself and shake off humanity like fleas.