Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

I believe climate change is significantly caused by people

Yes
No
I dont know

Author Topic: People cause climate change  (Read 18448 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: People cause climate change
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2018, 08:01:03 AM »

I was an early advocate of global warming thanks to Al Gore. I was telling anybody who would listen that we were going to be roasted like a chicken. I admit was naive. I was expecting to see Vancouver waterfront homes and building swamped by rising waters. I waited 15 years, but it never happened.  ....

I guess you never listened to Gore closely, let alone the huge quantity of similar but better material available. Sea levels are rising here but not that fast.  No one forecast they'd be high enough to flood Vancouver shorelines by now.

Your time lines are off as well. It hasn't been 15 years since Gore's "Inconvenient Truth" for example. Likely this post is the product of more right wing fake news.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2018, 10:12:33 AM »

I guess you never listened to Gore closely, let alone the huge quantity of similar but better material available. Sea levels are rising here but not that fast.  No one forecast they'd be high enough to flood Vancouver shorelines by now.

Your time lines are off as well. It hasn't been 15 years since Gore's "Inconvenient Truth" for example. Likely this post is the product of more right wing fake news.

Shame shame Ralph. Playing into the left/right paradigm. If I'm going to bite and play that game ( and I will ) let me remind you the Left started using the term fake news first in North America politics. BUT I find it hard to get to your level. I'll just leave it at that.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2018, 10:27:23 AM »

of course you ignore the rest of the incorrect information I pointed out in fishfinder's post.

I feel no shame or no need to apologize for noting the similarities with certain memes common on ultra-right websites.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2018, 09:34:19 AM »

Human beings are so arrogant that I'm embarrassed to be one. The actual mere thought that people think that human beings are able to have an effect on the climate is laughable at best.
A most human caused scenario would be the example of human caused forest fires or Hong Kong type pollution blotting out the sun....therefore having a slight cooling effect on the afternoon high temperatures.

Anything more than that is nothing more than man thinking he's greater and more powerful than he actually is.

WOW, you’re thought processing is the problem, not arrogance. The fact is too many ignorant people feel this way, and they don’t even know why half the time.

banx

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2018, 11:30:41 AM »

I was an early advocate of global warming thanks to Al Gore. I was telling anybody who would listen that we were going to be roasted like a chicken. I admit was naive. I was expecting to see Vancouver waterfront homes and building swamped by rising waters. I waited 15 years, but it never happened.  I would go to Jericho Beach and English Bay weekly to check if the sea crept further up the beach. I did this for years. Nada. It's the same as it has been since I first went to those beaches as a kid in the 1960's. I thought for sure my home on Burnaby mountain would be the new water front 15 LOOONG years I waited. I felt duped. Now I picture Mr. Gore like the old man behind the curtain in the Wizard of the Oz.

Here's an interesting news I read a while back. Miami just approved a $10 Billion waterfront project. What is the significance of this project? Nothing really, except Miami's elevation is a measly 6 feet above sea level. One must  assume the banks are funding the project, or maybe rich Hedge fund managers or pension funds. One must also assume they are some of the most well connected and in-the-know people in the world. Do YOU believe these people would actually invest in such a project if they knew the ocean levels were truly rising? Just look around you in Vancouver. Are the rich well heeled people dumping their waterfront homes along West Point Grey?... for my new waterfront home?

My advice to all of you is live your life to the fullest and be thankful you get to live in such a beautiful part of the world. I am neither a believer nor a skeptic. I just let go of the noise and went on to live my life.

you haven't been duped.  far from it. Miami invests millions a year in continuously pumping water away from beach front property,  They have upgraded all draining systems in the last few years.  Its very likely the project you were talking about was taking that into account already.  There are several interviews with miami's mayor where he discusses at length what the city is doing regarding rising water levels.

being duped, would be buying the 'glacier view rv park' in smithers..... cause now, theres no glacier to view.   

Robert_G would be a fantastic business partner for that endeavour.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2018, 12:54:15 PM »

Current estimates that include all factors  (not just glacier melt) are that sea levels will rise by about a meter (3.25 feet) by the turn of the century. If the reduction of the Greenland Ice cap increases it could be much higher. A total melt off of that ice mass would increase sea levels by about 25 feet. The annual rate sea level rise since 1993 has been about double the historic rate measured since 1880 - that historic rate was 0.06 inches/year. The current rate (since 1993)  is 0.11 to 0.14 inches per year.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2018, 02:31:13 PM »

you haven't been duped.  far from it. Miami invests millions a year in continuously pumping water away from beach front property,  They have upgraded all draining systems in the last few years.  Its very likely the project you were talking about was taking that into account already.  There are several interviews with miami's mayor where he discusses at length what the city is doing regarding rising water levels.

I just came back from Miami last night and indeed, rising ocean levels sure is a hot topic all over Florida. Driving to Key West and back on Friday I witnessed first hand the road being practically at water level in many places, where it used to be a couple feet higher 100 years ago. Add some stormy winds and chop into the mix, and the road is easily flooded.

Sea levels around Miami are rising at an alarming rate of about an inch per year. The causes are quite complex and complicated, both natural and man-made, but make no mistake, carbon levels in the atmosphere are the main culprit - there is plenty of scientific evidence to support that finding.

IMO, whoever still believes that 7.5 billion humans all over the world with their industries and footprint don't influence the climate must be delusional or living in denial.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 02:45:12 PM by milo »

Fatso

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2018, 03:03:09 PM »

but make no mistake, carbon levels in the atmosphere are the main culprit - there is plenty of scientific evidence to support that finding.

.....he says as he's driving his electric automobile down the road.... it was an electric one, right?   ;)

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2018, 03:10:43 PM »

.....he says as he's driving his electric automobile down the road.... it was an electric one, right?   ;)

No, it was a new generation rental gasser. (45-50 mpg). Didn't make me feel too bad.  ;)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2018, 03:52:43 PM »

Sea levels around Miami are rising at an alarming rate of about an inch per year. The causes are quite complex and complicated, both natural and man-made, but make no mistake, carbon levels in the atmosphere are the main culprit - there is plenty of scientific evidence to support that finding.

IMO, whoever still believes that 7.5 billion humans all over the world with their industries and footprint don't influence the climate must be delusional or living in denial.

as the oceans warm sea levels rise, because like all gases and liquids sea water expands as it gets warmer. Sea level rise is not equal at every place on earth.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2018, 04:34:17 PM »

as the oceans warm sea levels rise, because like all gases and liquids sea water expands as it gets warmer. Sea level rise is not equal at every place on earth.

100% correct!

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2018, 06:03:34 PM »

I read somewhere that one cross continental flight pretty much nullifies a lifetime of recycling.

Fatso

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2018, 12:44:13 PM »

.... very interesting. So as water is warmed it expands upward in places!  i thought that water actually flowed DOWN to the lowest point to find equilibrium?  Who wudda thunk that all this man made global warming actually makes water flow uphill in places?

My plumber will be interested to hear this.  Ya learn something new every day. ;D

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2018, 12:54:40 PM »

.... very interesting. So as water is warmed it expands upward in places!  i thought that water actually flowed DOWN to the lowest point to find equilibrium?  Who wudda thunk that all this man made global warming actually makes water flow uphill in places?

My plumber will be interested to hear this.  Ya learn something new every day. ;D

you are being ridiculous, not funny. As water warms ,it is also expands as in, it fills more volume

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2018, 09:07:51 PM »

Damn, I bought in upper Lonsdale too early... my waterfront dream is a bust....