Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River conditions 2018  (Read 16935 times)

John Revolver

Re: Chilliwack River conditions 2018
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2018, 11:00:53 PM »

Well, you DO know what all those aggressive spey fishers are compensating for when they wiggle and shake their large two-handers?

LOL'd hard

bobby b

« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2018, 11:01:10 PM »

This is a huge shame. Kev was a big part of the Chilliwack fishing community. I hope the new owners go
bankrupt and I plan on telling them this

X2 .... a huge shame indeed

Kev is one of the nicest guys. He was always cheerful and made a great dog..... and the best fries. 

John Revolver

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2018, 11:14:55 PM »

X2 .... a huge shame indeed

Kev is one of the nicest guys. He was always cheerful and made a great dog..... and the best fries.

Kev is the true hero of the Mid-Upper CV 

« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 11:20:16 PM by John Revolver »

243Pete

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2018, 06:13:05 AM »

I was out again today started at KWB and worked the canal pretty hard and found a school of resting fish and killed it on some white springs with my double hander- super fun once I went with a heavier tippet.  cycled back up to hopedale towards the end of the day. lots of people out and the odd fish here and there.

1st Kevs hotdogs gets the boot and now this.  What the fcuk is going on? :(   I am actually pretty choked the new owners of on the way gave Kev the Boot. I am never , ever buying anything from on-the-way ever again.

Nice! Going to fish the pin a little more but going to go with the double handers more this year.
But it's good to hear that at least some people are getting into fish.

Your telling me! When I heard about Kev getting the boot I was shocked, super nice guy and always fun to talk with, but I am not surprised honestly with the new owners....
But I've heard of complaints in the past about how some people had parked their vehicles in that spot and it blocked some of the local horse riding users and cyclists, but emergency vehicles is a big one and that isn't good.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2018, 07:22:44 AM »

Three observations from my fishing yesterday:

1.  Holy moly has the lower river changed.  I wanted to check out Peach road at first light and all the previous easily accessible holes are gone.  More footwork is ahead of me on the lower river for sure.

2.  When did the upper river become gang territory?  Some wonderful person has decided to spray-paint some cryptic graffiti on the cement slab and nearby rocks.  I forgot to take a picture - anyone know when this happened?  Really makes it feel like you are fishing in a warzone, even though I was the only person there!  Stopped at a couple spots on my way downstream and saw more spraypaint and considerable ax damage to several large cedars along the river.

3.  Are the "no parking" signs new at Osborne road, or were those put there last year?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 07:51:46 AM by CohoJake »

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2018, 11:08:30 AM »

Three observations from my fishing yesterday:

1.  Holy moly has the lower river changed.  I wanted to check out Peach road at first light and all the previous easily accessible holes are gone.  More footwork is ahead of me on the lower river for sure.

2.  When did the upper river become gang territory?  Some wonderful person has decided to spray-paint some cryptic graffiti on the cement slab and nearby rocks.  I forgot to take a picture - anyone know when this happened?  Really makes it feel like you are fishing in a warzone, even though I was the only person there!  Stopped at a couple spots on my way downstream and saw more spraypaint and considerable ax damage to several large cedars along the river.

3.  Are the "no parking" signs new at Osborne road, or were those put there last year?

Happens every summer when the 16-yr old get to go on car camping trips without parents for the first time. They get into some alcohol and then become campsite super-heros. Can't go camping without spray paint to tag everything. Well then the axe is meant to chop wood right? Get a little alcohol into a a young punk, find an axe and suddenly you have a rampaging wannabe lumberjack. They grow out of it, people say.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2018, 11:16:56 AM »

Happens every summer when the 16-yr old get to go on car camping trips without parents for the first time. They get into some alcohol and then become campsite super-heros. Can't go camping without spray paint to tag everything. Well then the axe is meant to chop wood right? Get a little alcohol into a a young punk, find an axe and suddenly you have a rampaging wannabe lumberjack. They grow out of it, people say.

Well, you did. And so did I. Most of us do.
Most of those who don't eventually end up with a fentanyl overdose in some back alley.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2018, 11:50:58 AM »

Pretty much sums up my first few non supervised camping trips as a teen. Minus the spray paint. Boy I must have been a sight lol

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2018, 04:12:19 PM »

Had a few hamburgers at the "By The Way" hot dog stand this summer, always good conversation from Kevin and the locals sitting out front. Bummer.
Seems like the whole upper river is squatters, garbage and feces. Sad.
Peach road is a whole different world now.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2018, 07:11:49 PM »

New owners bought On the Way store? That place was for sale for a long time. Out with old and in with the new. Hopefully a major reno and a new store. Some eye candy serving up burgers and fries perhaps?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2018, 08:12:28 PM »

I grew up like most of us camping and fishing right on the river. All the way to the boundary. Those were good days. I was in favor when the Schitty blocked camping access on the banks. There was the odd drinking fight and other late night nonsense. However. Squatters, open drug use, stolen property, trash and human waste is allowed ? Maybe we should get the mayor of Abbotsford to dump some chicken my smelly socks in Chilliwack.

John Revolver

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2018, 10:51:35 PM »

Peach road is a whole different world now.

I was shocked when I saw that channel completely change at Peach.   

Peach is always prone to changes year after year.  We still need the first real real sustained dump of heavy rain and peach will change again. The way it looks now, it seems like the main run will be cut wider and the tail out will feed more water to the left channel instead of the right.

thats a shame, that right side suuuper deep slot was a honey hole for a number of years right beside the trail ha

What ever man, changing river dynamics is all part of the fun!!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2018, 12:29:48 AM »

Sorry guys, little late to the game this season. I've posted the usual basic info for new anglers and restart the thread at:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=42326.0

Please continue there.