Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River conditions 2018  (Read 16937 times)

96XJ

Re: Chilliwack River conditions 2018
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2018, 08:59:14 AM »

Over 40 kms of river and you're worried about fence posters....leave them be and just work your way down past them. I would understand if you were fishing a smaller system where rotational fishing would be the ethical norm. There's a lot of reason why people fence post...physical limitation, limited time, or just the fact they're on the bite. Either way, if they were there before you started the run, they should have the right to enjoy their way of fishing. I understand the frustration, especially during steelhead season, but I won't let it ruin my day unless I was already working a run and I got purposely low holed by some beek coming in from the bushes.

I agree , I find if they acknowledge you then they usually won’t have a problem , if they ignore you just leave them alone

I had someone low hole me last year on the Vedder during steelhead season , he just stayed at the tail out and ignored me when I got down to him , I just laughed to myself and left , of course he was a Spey fisher and I’m just a gear guy so I probably had no right to the tail out anyways  ::)

BBarley

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2018, 10:17:46 AM »

Hmmm... stinging someone at the knee is probably a very bad idea, I'd just talk with the angler in question to see if they would mind if you shifted below them. Generally I've found most people to be totally fine with it aslong as you talk with them first but there might be the odd person out there who it depends on how you want to approach ie waiting for them to leave, just moving around them anyways or seeing if you can reason with them.

Forgot the emoji's at the end of that. Was intending on that being a tongue-in-cheek statement. My apologies.

Reason I ask is because I dropped in below a pylon who didn't seem to have any issue with me as I was quite a distance downstream, proceeded to slowly cover the run until I was low holed rather rudely. Not the end of the world. As for the 40km of river comment, this wasn't directly under the KW Bridge or at any of the other gong shows, this was a rather out of the way spot as far as the lower goes.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2018, 10:19:27 AM »

I had someone low hole me last year on the Vedder during steelhead season , he just stayed at the tail out and ignored me when I got down to him , I just laughed to myself and left , of course he was a Spey fisher and I’m just a gear guy so I probably had no right to the tail out anyways  ::)

Well, you DO know what all those aggressive spey fishers are compensating for when they wiggle and shake their large two-handers?
Not unlike those monster pickup drivers revving their huge trucks on city streets.
Have some sympathy. ;D

243Pete

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2018, 10:31:33 AM »

Forgot the emoji's at the end of that. Was intending on that being a tongue-in-cheek statement. My apologies.

Reason I ask is because I dropped in below a pylon who didn't seem to have any issue with me as I was quite a distance downstream, proceeded to slowly cover the run until I was low holed rather rudely. Not the end of the world. As for the 40km of river comment, this wasn't directly under the KW Bridge or at any of the other gong shows, this was a rather out of the way spot as far as the lower goes.

All good, no need to appologize for anything. I took that statement as literal cause there are some people out there who would do such a thing, don't want you getting into some messy situation or unless you are like me... and had a friend low-hole you during steelhead season and pull out two fish... I wanted to sting him for doing that.  ;D

People will react in different ways it just depends on the person, but was it that same person you went below? Cause if it was I wouldn't be to surprised or they are just believing that you know where the fish are or something... sort of like when you watch one person hook a fish... suddenly EVERYONE is crowding around them casting to the same spot.... bloody drives me nuts!

Wouldn't worry to much but always take caution. Best to avoid conflict and problems cause despite it being a fairly large river it can get a bit insane at times.

blackskull

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2018, 12:25:26 PM »

Apparently, the no parking on Wilson Rd. in Yarrow was due to over crowding the road during the summer.  It was so packed with cars at times over the summer, that it hindered access for emergency vehicles.

KBW, Browne and Wilson rd for me today, nothing to hand but connected with a nice coho a little bit past first light.

Hmmm... stinging someone at the knee is probably a very bad idea, I'd just talk with the angler in question to see if they would mind if you shifted below them. Generally I've found most people to be totally fine with it aslong as you talk with them first but there might be the odd person out there who it depends on how you want to approach ie waiting for them to leave, just moving around them anyways or seeing if you can reason with them.

On another topic... parking at Wilson road is a no-no now, no parking signs all over the place even on the main road to the gravel area where there is space for parking. Couple guys get parking tickets and buddy talked to by-law and said that they just put in the no parking signs about two weeks ago so no parking on the streets and in the gravel area and tickets and tows will given to those who do.
Looks like we are loosing parking areas on certain areas of the river, I wonder if they will open the gate to allow access down to the river from there or not.

dave c

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2018, 02:45:49 PM »

Just curious if the bar below kwb on chilliwack side is exposed. Planning on bringing my dogs with me tomorrow and dont want them to have to stand in water for prolonged period.  Tks in advance

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2018, 04:13:53 PM »

Just curious if the bar below kwb on chilliwack side is exposed. Planning on bringing my dogs with me tomorrow and dont want them to have to stand in water for prolonged period.  Tks in advance

Leave the dogs at home..

mikeyman

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2018, 04:58:20 PM »

There are already dogs in the river. I took my dog down once. He decided to go for a swim thru the run and back again. Others not so impressed. Fishing was very slow today. Saw a couple springs hooked but that was it. More fisherman than fish.

dave c

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2018, 07:32:00 PM »

Thanks Aaron

John Revolver

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2018, 10:17:33 PM »

KBW, Browne and Wilson rd for me today, nothing to hand but connected with a nice coho a little bit past first light.

I was out again today started at KWB and worked the canal pretty hard and found a school of resting fish and killed it on some white springs with my double hander- super fun once I went with a heavier tippet.  cycled back up to hopedale towards the end of the day. lots of people out and the odd fish here and there.

On another topic... parking at Wilson road is a no-no now, no parking signs all over the place even on the main road to the gravel area where there is space for parking. Couple guys get parking tickets and buddy talked to by-law and said that they just put in the no parking signs about two weeks ago so no parking on the streets and in the gravel area and tickets and tows will given to those who do.
Looks like we are loosing parking areas on certain areas of the river, I wonder if they will open the gate to allow access down to the river from there or not.

1st Kevs hotdogs gets the boot and now this.  What the fcuk is going on? :(   I am actually pretty choked the new owners of on the way gave Kev the Boot. I am never , ever buying anything from on-the-way ever again.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2018, 10:21:48 PM »

Aaron is right.  For the canal I will leave the dog at home when the water level reach 1.70M.

It ain't the roe bro'

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2018, 10:24:42 PM »

I was out again today started at KWB and worked the canal pretty hard and found a school of resting fish and killed it on some white springs with my double hander- super fun....
JR, snap a quick pic next time so we can all share the FUN!!!
It ain't the roe bro'

John Revolver

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2018, 10:35:48 PM »

Question for some, probably applicable to most. What is the view on working through/lowholing a fencepost? Is there any ethics anymore to be had during salmon season on these hatchery rivers?  Ie. stepping in and working a drift around a pylon fishermen to probe the flow. If I'm working through a run and somebody fenceposts below, can I sting them at the knees accidentally on purpose to move them.

Granted salmon are migratory and moving and everyone knows the traffic on that river in season. Just looking to clarify some things.

Low-holing is not nearly as much of a cardinal sin during a salmon run then during steelhead season. Waves of fish flow throughout the day during a salmon run.  With that being said, I always wave, say hello and nod before I drop into a position during a salmon run and you should always do the same.  It's super important to always be respectful and bring a good vibe and positive energy to a run you are joining.

It's glaringly obvious out there who the seasoned and avid-anglers are. Everyone I come across is super awesome so  If a total newbie armed with a fresh Canadian tire spin kit and rubber hip waders bumbles up to the river and drops in directly below me while casting over my line out of rotation I'm super patient , understanding and  I might even make a few recommendations to that new nervous angler.

During Steelhead season I rotate to the top of the run and wait my turn to cycle in NO MATTER WHAT!!!  - Steelhead etiquette is something NEVER , ever to be F*cked with.

Steelhead is a completely different ballgame all together. :)

John Revolver

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2018, 10:40:54 PM »

JR, snap a quick pic next time so we can all share the FUN!!!

A super cool young dude crushing it on jigs above me was nice enough to snap a few pics on my phone for me. I might post them later. Stinky Chrome Chinook tanks man. Jesus they're strong fish ahaha

avid angler

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2018, 10:48:27 PM »

I was out again today started at KWB and worked the canal pretty hard and found a school of resting fish and killed it on some white springs with my double hander- super fun once I went with a heavier tippet.  cycled back up to hopedale towards the end of the day. lots of people out and the odd fish here and there.

1st Kevs hotdogs gets the boot and now this.  What the fcuk is going on? :(   I am actually pretty choked the new owners of on the way gave Kev the Boot. I am never , ever buying anything from on-the-way ever again.

This is a huge shame. Kev was a big part of the Chilliwack fishing community. I hope the new owners go
bankrupt and I plan on telling them this