Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River conditions 2018  (Read 16945 times)

mikeyman

Re: Chilliwack River conditions 2018
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2018, 09:51:16 PM »

Anybody been out? Going tommorrow first light first trip.

BBarley

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2018, 12:23:10 AM »

It's bumping up in water level, my high water twig from last night is floating downstream somewhere. Heavy rain stopped at 11:30pm, showers from here on I believe is called for.

Chehalis_Steel

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2018, 01:42:17 AM »

I have never seen a salmon standing on the bridge.

However I have stood on the bridge, looked into the water and seen salmon. Even saw steelhead down there and once a seal!

If you spend enough hours on the water you will start to see salmon standing on the bridge  ;D

mikeyman

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2018, 05:02:46 AM »

I saw one on the bridge once. He didnt hold there long. Ended up crossing the rest of the way on the bridge. Headed to chilliwack. Had a fin out trying to hitchhike.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2018, 02:50:59 PM »

Looks like the gong has been banged one of my buddies got limits of coho this morning.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2018, 03:04:19 PM »

Looks like the gong has been banged one of my buddies got limits of coho this morning.

Yup. My buddies limited out, too. AND they hooked into several springs, even a chum! (seriously, not kidding).
The lower Vedder is teeming with fish! Go get them guys! ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2018, 04:03:42 PM »

Love it!

mikeyman

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2018, 07:13:36 PM »

There are no fish. Very slow. Dont go.

BBarley

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2018, 07:58:38 PM »

Either I was at the wrong spot in the lower or these early run fish really don’t like flies.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2018, 08:18:55 PM »

I'll go when I hear the Master (Rodney) is slaying them. ;)

ribolovac02

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2018, 09:01:45 PM »

I'll go when I hear the Master (Rodney) is slaying them. ;)
He is slaying them already, he is just not telling you lol

John Revolver

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2018, 11:56:40 PM »

Yup. My buddies limited out, too. AND they hooked into several springs, even a chum! (seriously, not kidding).

I wouldn't go that far lol -  . I cycled pillings/hopedale/kwb all day today

BBarley

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2018, 12:26:08 AM »

Question for some, probably applicable to most. What is the view on working through/lowholing a fencepost? Is there any ethics anymore to be had during salmon season on these hatchery rivers?  Ie. stepping in and working a drift around a pylon fishermen to probe the flow. If I'm working through a run and somebody fenceposts below, can I sting them at the knees accidentally on purpose to move them.

Granted salmon are migratory and moving and everyone knows the traffic on that river in season. Just looking to clarify some things.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2018, 01:49:47 AM »

Question for some, probably applicable to most. What is the view on working through/lowholing a fencepost? Is there any ethics anymore to be had during salmon season on these hatchery rivers?  Ie. stepping in and working a drift around a pylon fishermen to probe the flow. If I'm working through a run and somebody fenceposts below, can I sting them at the knees accidentally on purpose to move them.

Granted salmon are migratory and moving and everyone knows the traffic on that river in season. Just looking to clarify some things.

Over 40 kms of river and you're worried about fence posters....leave them be and just work your way down past them. I would understand if you were fishing a smaller system where rotational fishing would be the ethical norm. There's a lot of reason why people fence post...physical limitation, limited time, or just the fact they're on the bite. Either way, if they were there before you started the run, they should have the right to enjoy their way of fishing. I understand the frustration, especially during steelhead season, but I won't let it ruin my day unless I was already working a run and I got purposely low holed by some beek coming in from the bushes.

243Pete

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2018, 01:56:37 AM »

I wouldn't go that far lol -  . I cycled pillings/hopedale/kwb all day today

KBW, Browne and Wilson rd for me today, nothing to hand but connected with a nice coho a little bit past first light.

Hmmm... stinging someone at the knee is probably a very bad idea, I'd just talk with the angler in question to see if they would mind if you shifted below them. Generally I've found most people to be totally fine with it aslong as you talk with them first but there might be the odd person out there who it depends on how you want to approach ie waiting for them to leave, just moving around them anyways or seeing if you can reason with them.

On another topic... parking at Wilson road is a no-no now, no parking signs all over the place even on the main road to the gravel area where there is space for parking. Couple guys get parking tickets and buddy talked to by-law and said that they just put in the no parking signs about two weeks ago so no parking on the streets and in the gravel area and tickets and tows will given to those who do.
Looks like we are loosing parking areas on certain areas of the river, I wonder if they will open the gate to allow access down to the river from there or not.