Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Bar Fishing On The Fraser River Update  (Read 9366 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
2018 Bar Fishing On The Fraser River Update
« on: August 06, 2018, 12:24:09 PM »

For those that still like to bar fish. I just checked the visibility of the river and does not look too good at the present, around 6 inches at Old Orchard Road. I guess it has been caused by the heavy rain higher up in the Fraser River watershed.

For those that would like to learn bar fishing here is a good video Rodney filmed with Nick and I a few years ago. There are others in this series. Here is part 1 that some may have not seen it.

https://youtu.be/KmfqiOQRkdQ

BNF861

• Old Timer
Re: 2018 Bar Fishing On The Fraser River Update
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 01:14:22 PM »

Timely post Chris, thanks.

Without getting into the politics or methods of catching sockeye (I do not want this thread to go down that road), I would strongly suggest and encourage those that are on the river to harvest their two sockeye but would like to continue to fish for the day in hopes of catching a chinook, that once they have retained their two sockeye to switch to a more selective way of fishing, such as bar fishing, for the rest of the day to allow the remaining sockeye to continue on their journey.

Yes, people have caught sockeye before while bar fishing, but it is a very rare occurrence. For the most part it gives you a good shot at targeting a chinook and leaving the sockeye alone. Bottom bouncing with long leaders is not selective at all and the odds are you will catch many more sockeye before you find a spring. Once you have two you cannot keep any more and releasing fish with such a long leader is very difficult without dragging a fish up the beach, that should never be done to any fish you intend to release.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 02:10:39 PM »

Timely post Chris, thanks.

Without getting into the politics or methods of catching sockeye (I do not want this thread to go down that road), I would strongly suggest and encourage those that are on the river to harvest their two sockeye but would like to continue to fish for the day in hopes of catching a chinook, that once they have retained their two sockeye to switch to a more selective way of fishing, such as bar fishing, for the rest of the day to allow the remaining sockeye to continue on their journey.

Yes, people have caught sockeye before while bar fishing, but it is a very rare occurrence. For the most part it gives you a good shot at targeting a chinook and leaving the sockeye alone. Bottom bouncing with long leaders is not selective at all and the odds are you will catch many more sockeye before you find a spring. Once you have two you cannot keep any more and releasing fish with such a long leader is very difficult without dragging a fish up the beach, that should never be done to any fish you intend to release.
Good post. This thread is intended to just speak about bar fishing and keep people updated about water conditions as well as any success you may have.

coldfinger

• always thankful
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 02:23:07 PM »

Very well explained.Hopefully it's something every one will consider doing.
Unfortunately the two styles of fishing BB and Bar fishing seldom coexist on the same bar.  And there are only so many bars w decent seams available. I would love to hear ideas, or solutions to make the concept more probable.

I wonder how "That" guy who, after flossing the two sockeyes , then decides to pull the bar and just park himself right in the middle of things, would be appreciated... Imagine the harassment.

Oh well.. we'll see, cause that's exactly what I plan to do.... wish me luck!
That guy!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 06:00:30 PM »

Visibility improving saw the odd person bar fishing on my tour this afternoon.

bobby b

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 06:01:23 PM »

Very well explained.Hopefully it's something every one will consider doing.
Unfortunately the two styles of fishing BB and Bar fishing seldom coexist on the same bar.  And there are only so many bars w decent seams available. I would love to hear ideas, or solutions to make the concept more probable.

I wonder how "That" guy who, after flossing the two sockeyes , then decides to pull the bar and just park himself right in the middle of things, would be appreciated... Imagine the harassment.

Oh well.. we'll see, cause that's exactly what I plan to do.... wish me luck!
That guy!

Really ...your wanna be 'that guy'....why?! 

Good luck ... lets see... if you're gonna setup after flossing then there will most likely already be people flossing/bb'ing beside you ... your gonna what? Tell 'em they can't fish there anymore ...cause your lobbin a bar rig into their drift... ?!

coldfinger

• always thankful
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 08:04:07 PM »

My point exactly.....And no I'm not really That guy. Just making the point.
Sarcasim aside I didn't even make it out to bar this morning. Had a of lower unit  issue, this AM.  Which leads me to this..
A huge shout out and thank you to the two gentlemen who responded to our plight.
They pulled us out of a tough spot and set us a loose on a lovely drift back home.

And they did it all with a smile and a positive reassuring word. Sorry we didn't get there names.
Hope this digitally reaches them...
Cheers
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 09:29:13 PM by coldfinger »

bobby b

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 09:13:04 PM »

Ahhhh.... I had a feeling you were kiddin'

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 05:13:27 AM »

Any bar above Dewdney/Vedder mouth will produce Chinook.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 05:23:19 AM »

The was a couple of good old bar fishers in this video I filmed, nothing for them but the water was OK. https://youtu.be/f8dxPt5ics4

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 08:05:28 AM »

I tried last evening. Almost no other there. A gill net in the middle of the river.
Only coarse fish. Saw a few sturgeon jumping.

Go back when coho come back

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 04:46:18 PM »

I can't wait to cast out the chrome with green top.. Sunday can't come soon enough.
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

avid angler

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 06:42:59 AM »

100% not true. Finding bars with chinook travelling lanes within casting distance isn’t always easy. Chinook will take the deeper heavier route. Not as easy as finding a spot to floss sockeye

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 10:56:35 AM »

100% not true. Finding bars with chinook travelling lanes within casting distance isn’t always easy. Chinook will take the deeper heavier route. Not as easy as finding a spot to floss sockeye

BS

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 01:00:46 PM »

Went to the river to scope out a bar fishing spot for tomorrow and cleanup some garbage which to my surprise was not too bad. Got half a bag along with some discarded line.

The other surprise, the river was mud with no visibility at all. I guess it was caused a lot of rain at the Fraser headwaters so no bar fishing now for a while.

The other surprise, people were still out there throwing their bouncing betties and they were catching fish, how could that be as the fish could not see the wool, maybe they have a new color.lol :-X :P ::) ??? :o :( ;)

Maybe firstlight can update me.lol