Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Bar Fishing On The Fraser River Update  (Read 9364 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: 2018 Bar Fishing On The Fraser River Update
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 01:33:55 PM »

Went to the river to scope out a bar fishing spot for tomorrow and cleanup some garbage which to my surprise was not too bad. Got half a bag along with some discarded line.

The other surprise, the river was mud with no visibility at all. I guess it was caused a lot of rain at the Fraser headwaters so no bar fishing now for a while.

The other surprise, people were still out there throwing their bouncing betties and they were catching fish, how could that be as the fish could not see the wool, maybe they have a new color.lol :-X :P ::) ??? :o :( ;)

Maybe firstlight can update me.lol

UV and Glow Chris sheesh cuts though that nasty river water

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 02:35:57 PM »

I hear Maple Leaf blue with a touch of white is the go to lure this sockeye season. ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 04:29:48 PM »

I hear Maple Leaf blue with a touch of white is the go to lure this sockeye season. ;)
Not many TM people take part in this activity. Canucks are bottom bouncing cellar dwellers. :)

avid angler

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 09:20:26 PM »

BS

You really don’t think location matters.... why do you think certain guys hook up almost every trip bar fishing and other guys struggle all season long for a handful of bites. Being able to read water is huge.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 10:01:14 PM »

You really don’t think location matters.... why do you think certain guys hook up almost every trip bar fishing and other guys struggle all season long for a handful of bites. Being able to read water is huge.

being able to read BS is important too....

Hey Chris i have to be nice to you as i too was once a Leafs fan.
Was them or Montreal and well you know.......

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2018, 05:22:37 AM »

BS

lol really? I'd say location is probably one of the most critical factors when it comes to bar fishing success.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2018, 08:10:10 AM »

Just how much water clarity is needed for bar fishing? I was in the Hope-Flood area yesterday and the clarity was over a foot - which isn't bad for mid summer when the weather has been hot. I'd think one of those great big spin n glos with vibrating wings would show up fine in that water.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2018, 10:01:41 AM »

lol really? I'd say location is probably one of the most critical factors when it comes to bar fishing success.

lol what really? where do i say location doesnt matter?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 03:02:42 PM »

Just how much water clarity is needed for bar fishing? I was in the Hope-Flood area yesterday and the clarity was over a foot - which isn't bad for mid summer when the weather has been hot. I'd think one of those great big spin n glos with vibrating wings would show up fine in that water.
I like about 18 inches. The Master said it looked OK today. The heavy rain up river made it muddy on Monday. Check Rodney's videos for bar fishing tips on bar fishing. I now have my license, the latest in the year I have not fished and may try bar fishing tomorrow, if I can find a spot, if not i could head to the bar.lol

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2018, 08:19:23 PM »

if I can find a spot, if not i could head to the bar.lol
Probally have better luck for some nookie by going to the bar! Lol

norton

Very good post chris. Like chris said if you've caught your 2 sockeye
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2018, 01:14:31 PM »

Timely post Chris, thanks.

Without getting into the politicsvery or methods of catching sockeye (I do not want this thread to go down that road), I would strongly suggest and encourage those that are on the river to harvest their two sockeye but would like to continue to fish for the day in hopes of catching a chinook, that once they have retained their two sockeye to switch to a more selective way of fishing, such as bar fishing, for the rest of the day to allow the remaining sockeye to continue on their journey.

Yes, people have caught sockeye before while bar fishing, but it is a very rare occurrence. For the most part it gives you a good shot at targeting a chinook and leaving the sockeye alone. Bottom bouncing with long leaders is not selective at all and the odds are you will catch many more sockeye before you find a spring. Once you have two you cannot keep any more and releasing fish with such a long leader is very difficult without dragging a fish up the beach, that should never be done to any fish you intend to release.