Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New group calls for seal and sea lion cull on B.C.’s coast  (Read 4811 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....

Members of the Tsawwassen First Nation are teaming up with commercial and sport-fishers on B.C.’s coast to call on the new federal fisheries minister to allow a West Coast seal and sea lion harvest. The group, called the Pacific Balance Pinnipeds Society, says that growing populations of seals and sea lions endangers future salmon populations.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4344527/new-group-seal-sea-lion-cull-bc-coast/

Of course the Global reporter got the population numbers all wrong, and the anti's at Ocean Wise have started their bleating already.
But, this is an initiative that is long overdue IMHO, and I will support it any and every way I can...  ;)

Cheers,
Nog

Fatso

Re: New group calls for seal and sea lion cull on B.C.’s coast
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 09:04:57 PM »

It's a brilliant idea.
There should be a regular harvest of seals and sea lions and a great big barbeque.
I don't understand why they don't allow it.  I am sure there would be a lot of opposition by the vegetarian Peta type people but what a great source of protein.  Free range and no antibiotics. 

Put me down for a seal flipper burger.  Thank you.

Tangles

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 04:02:06 PM »

They are full of mercury and not tasting good at all from what I know.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 04:13:02 PM »

They are full of mercury and not tasting good at all from what I know.

Which pretty much indicates you know extremely little.  ;D

Cheers,
Nog

Fatso

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 10:05:08 AM »

So how do they taste?
Other than animal rights groups, i cant see why we dont eat them if they taste good.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 10:23:15 AM »

So how do they taste?

The natives used to say the Stellar Sea Lions were good to eat but the California Sea Lions not so much.   Unfortunately its the the California ones that are the problem.   Never heard a comment on the Harbour Seals.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 01:44:25 PM by VAGAbond »

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 12:27:10 PM »

If the deers, wolves and bears can be hunted, why not seal and sea lions.

GordJ

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 01:44:29 PM »

Or eagles and swans?

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 01:53:39 PM »

Or eagles and swans?

LOL! Not such a good selection to make your point...
Swans are hunted in many jurisdictions, including Canada.
The younger (grey) ones taste just like geese btw...  ;D

Cheers,
Nog

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 02:58:25 PM »

Does anyone have any links to technical papers, studies or reports that provide any science behind the claims that there are growing numbers of seals and sea lions and that there is a confirmed correlation between seal/sea lion numbers and a measurable impact on salmon returns that are not or cannot be associated with other environmental impacts. 

The video mentions the need for studies to establish the seal population and status, therefore how has it been established that the salmon crisis is in any way linked to seal and sea lion numbers?

I am not saying there is or is not a correlation.  The video is dramatic and if seal numbers have increased substantially the cause and effect would appear to be obvious.  However, I would like to look at hard data rather than anecdotal assumptions and guesses, which may or may not be supported by hard evidence.

If there was clear evidence (or even reasonable evidence that suggests a likely correlation, i.e. based on a balance of probability, more than 50%), then I would fully support appropriate management.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 03:07:02 PM »

Does anyone have any links to technical papers, studies or reports that provide any science behind the claims that there are growing numbers of seals and sea lions and that there is a confirmed correlation between seal/sea lion numbers and a measurable impact on salmon returns that are not or cannot be associated with other environmental impacts. 

There are a few links in this thread: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=42122.0

Cheers,
Nog

spoiler

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 08:29:57 PM »

I'm surprised that First Nations groups all along the coast haven't jumped on this a lot earlier! I fished all over the BC coast from Sooke to Haida Gwaii and there are huge populations of both seals and sea lions everywhere I have gone

StillAqua

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 08:46:57 PM »

So how do they taste?
Other than animal rights groups, i cant see why we dont eat them if they taste good.
I've had Harp Seal tartare in Quebec and I would describe it as an acquired taste. We thought it tasted like a venison steak that had been ground with a spoon full of cod liver oil.

StillAqua

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 08:56:34 PM »

There is a very strong global move toward banning the harvest and use of all marine mammals because of "conservation concerns" although it's really driven by an animal cruelty movement with an ecology cloak. They generalize that marine mammals have intrinsically low rates of reproduction and can't sustain commercial scale harvesting. Doesn't hurt that it's easier to raise money with a cute doe-eyed seal pup than a slimy bulbous-eyed fish.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 10:37:09 PM »

I may be wrong but I once heard that the Chinese believe the sea lion penis has aphrodisiac value.  If it's true and the cull materialize that'd sure put a damper on the seal and sea lion population eh?
It ain't the roe bro'