Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices  (Read 174336 times)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
Re: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices
« Reply #435 on: August 28, 2018, 08:55:57 PM »

Definitely pays dividends to really monitor where your hooking up and what's happening with regards to bottom structure, at least with the bars just below Hope. Not to brag/preach/condescend the art of lining salmon, but certainly those who know seem to get in and get out a lot faster then the quadrennial beak out who hasn't held a rod since 2014.

A little slower this morning but still a limit for a buddy out this morning. Just need to be in the good spot and get a proper drift. Don't be afraid to move around either. If the fishing sucks in one area of the river move to another. Talked to a fellow yesterday who was skunked at one bar and moved to another and limited out.

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #436 on: August 29, 2018, 06:37:09 AM »

Best part of sockeye fishing for me is catching the timing, having lots of fish pushing through, and hooking up readily.  Has little to do with how anyone else does or any other aspect.... I certainly miss my boat this summer... 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 06:41:20 AM by marshal »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #437 on: August 29, 2018, 08:43:38 AM »

Released a wild coho yesterday with one less maxillary. Felt horrible, Mouth of the Fraser river (in ocean) , Also landed an elusive late sockeye, Both males, one had about 40 sea lice on it and that was pretty nasty, Slime balls also. Looks like some Coho also starting to show in the in river test fishery so watch out for them.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 09:26:28 AM by wildmanyeah »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #438 on: August 29, 2018, 09:32:52 AM »

the coho are likely interior bound fish. If they show in numbers now there may be an in river shut down announced. The sockeye fishery stayed open into Sept in '10 and '14 but with the late run looking to be under forecast and interior coho doing poorly since '14, opportunity to catch sockeye may end after Labour Day.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #439 on: August 29, 2018, 05:32:32 PM »

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #440 on: August 29, 2018, 06:41:41 PM »

Anyone have the dfo posting
 for above Hope after sept 3?

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #441 on: August 29, 2018, 06:57:37 PM »

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #442 on: August 29, 2018, 07:03:16 PM »

So far, it looks like mainly drift nets are being allowed for 10-12 hours per day, Mon - Weds this week, from Sumas River (canal) upstream to Laidlaw.
There is also an opening of set and drift nets below Port Mann on Monday, from 3-10pm.Looks like another lower river FN opening added to the one above, from noon today (Tuesday) through to Wednesday morning....
and the upper river openings above have had the area expanded up to Hope ("Harrison R to Laidlaw/Jones Cr, Sumas River to Harrison, Agassiz to Hope")

In addition to the FSC openings above, the latest Fraser River Sockeye Update states that "several First Nation Economic Opportunity fisheries are being planned in the lower Fraser River"

Well, the FSC openings for this week have been extended through to Friday noon and the anticipated First Nation Economic Opportunity river openings are set to begin tomorrow (Thursday) morning through to noon on Friday, Port Mann to Sawmill Creek.

Seems like quite a few back-to-back... but that may be typical as I haven't paid attention in prior years.  Anyone know if this amount of FN openings is typical?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:22:25 AM by marshal »

Tangles

« Reply #443 on: August 30, 2018, 12:14:46 PM »

Well, rumor has it that DFO is not considering any extension past Sep 3rd. So get out there and get your limit once more in what might be the last Sockeye opening ever.

dobrolub

« Reply #444 on: August 30, 2018, 01:01:12 PM »

So I consider myself pretty new to fishing and this was my first season on the big river fishing for sockeye. I had tremendous success, landed multiple fish including two beautiful silver red springs. I've also found a successful setup with a shorter leader that worked well for sockeye. In short, the setup suspends a small colorado blade on a corky. The total leader length is 1.5 meters ( and could probably be shorter ). Corky is pinned one foot from the colorado blade. The theory is that the corky should suspend the colorado blade just at the right level for sockeye to see. With this setup I had some really exciting violent bites. Yes, I believe sockeye did bite the colorado blade as I have hooked multiple sockeye on this setup and the corky and the small leader definitely reduce a chance of flossing.

Anyways, I am super excited to continue to fish for Chinook and would like to ask more experienced anglers a question. On the bars located at Hope, is there any hope hooking into Chinook using Fly Fishing setup? ( I am aware of planking, but I prefer more active ways to fish, such as spay casting, etc. )

If so, what kind of setup would you recommend? Any particular locations I should focus on ? Thanks in advance!

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #445 on: August 30, 2018, 02:56:10 PM »

Well, rumor has it that DFO is not considering any extension past Sep 3rd. So get out there and get your limit once more in what might be the last Sockeye opening ever.

We say this all the time. I think it's a bad attitude to have. Let's be hopeful here

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #446 on: August 30, 2018, 03:53:29 PM »

By the numbers, there's a positive chance for an extension, or a second rec opening..... I agree, let's be hopeful....

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #447 on: August 30, 2018, 04:25:57 PM »

By the way, any feedback from the last couple of days (Chilliwack / Aggasiz)... how has the fishing been?

mikeyman

« Reply #448 on: August 30, 2018, 07:23:10 PM »

All doom and gloom. After commercial and native openings I am sure the river has been either great or very slow. Fact is the fish mill around in the chuck and school up until the water cools or rain comes then they start flying up. Lots of fish out there still.

Aki

« Reply #449 on: August 30, 2018, 07:30:47 PM »

Slow today upper river...apparently better early morning...we didn't start until after 10am...