Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices  (Read 170199 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices
« Reply #420 on: August 28, 2018, 06:34:10 AM »

BTW it's my traditional fishing grounds as well. Just as they are everyone who grew up fishing the Fraser.

This whole i was here first logic is childish.

LOL
'fraid not... it's the law. Much more to it but what' s the point ... people will get to the point of understanding themselves or never will.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #421 on: August 28, 2018, 08:38:01 AM »

As a white man this makes me so embarrassed and angry. 

I am so sorry that the people of the SAY Nations have to experience this crap.  I hope these pieces of cupcakes get busted for indecent exposure and child abuse.

If the allegations are true, then charges are appropriate. I have not looked into finding video of the event as I wouldn't be surprised in the least that this took place. I don't need to see this sickening action as I've witnessed enough similar abusive garbage toward FN during salmon seasons over the years that I just can't be bothered to go to participate in the salmon harvest anymore. The BS rock throwing, launching bettties and hooks at the FN fishermen along with the verbal abuse - its all sickening but the verbal abuse and exposure to women and children is criminal and can't be ignored.

I'm sorry to those that were subjected to this garbage behavior. Maybe some prison time and surrendering of the boat used in this offense, to the FN Chief might be appropriate punishment. A "No" punishment action will surely cause even more muddied relations. I'm a little worried how this is going to play itself out.

chironomidking

« Reply #422 on: August 28, 2018, 08:44:56 AM »

As a white man this makes me so embarrassed and angry. 

I am so sorry that the people of the SAY Nations have to experience this crap.  I hope these pieces of cupcakes get busted for indecent exposure and child abuse.

https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/2018/08/27/fishermen-allegedly-shout-racial-slurs-and-expose-themselves-to-indigenous-family-fishing-along-fraser-river.html

Tangles

« Reply #423 on: August 28, 2018, 12:01:13 PM »

So how is the fishing? I'm taking the kid out to the bar tomorrow. Any ideas on the netting schedule, is the fish getting a break, people still catch em?

Bingbamboom

« Reply #424 on: August 28, 2018, 03:13:29 PM »

Wondering if I might have to come down with the fishing flu , and call in sick for work or not . How is it out there ?

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #425 on: August 28, 2018, 03:20:41 PM »

So how is the fishing? I'm taking the kid out to the bar tomorrow. Any ideas on the netting schedule, is the fish getting a break, people still catch em?

The upper river netting has had a pretty significant impact on the rec fishery over the last couple of days... at least in Chilliwack / Aggasiz

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #426 on: August 28, 2018, 03:25:32 PM »

So far, it looks like mainly drift nets are being allowed for 10-12 hours per day, Mon - Weds this week, from Sumas River (canal) upstream to Laidlaw.
There is also an opening of set and drift nets below Port Mann on Monday, from 3-10pm.

Looks like another lower river FN opening added to the one above, from noon today (Tuesday) through to Wednesday morning....
and the upper river openings above have had the area expanded up to Hope ("Harrison R to Laidlaw/Jones Cr, Sumas River to Harrison, Agassiz to Hope")

In addition to the FSC openings above, the latest Fraser River Sockeye Update states that "several First Nation Economic Opportunity fisheries are being planned in the lower Fraser River"
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 03:58:40 PM by marshal »

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #427 on: August 28, 2018, 04:46:35 PM »

Fishing has been great upper river! Just put in the leg work to find out which bars are producing constitantly! Read the river and position yourself in a "travel" zone.

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #428 on: August 28, 2018, 05:08:41 PM »

Fishing has been great upper river! Just put in the leg work to find out which bars are producing constitantly! Read the river and position yourself in a "travel" zone.

What 'areas' have you experienced today that are producing?  Many without a boat would likely not consider the last couple of days as 'great'.... but others please chime in....

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #429 on: August 28, 2018, 05:24:21 PM »

Cleaned up some garbage today at Gill and Agassiz Rosedale Bridge and only saw one fish hooked but was there a very short time. I actually got a video of that fish, funny but sad at the same time watch for it later on a different thread.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #430 on: August 28, 2018, 05:58:53 PM »

just back from fishing the north shore west of Hope by foot access. I brought home a white spring of about 8lbs and a sockeye of about 5. Lost 2 sockeye.  Fished about 6 hours. Saw a number hooked and landed. Some folks got their 2 sockeye. Late run projection has been down sized to 6 million.  Not as fast as the last couple of trips but as I have said before the summer run tails off at this time. Adams river fish are not a big show at this point. Saw no FN fishing activity anywhere on the river, either crossing the Port Mann or from around Laidlaw to Hope.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #431 on: August 28, 2018, 06:08:25 PM »

What 'areas' have you experienced today that are producing?  Many without a boat would likely not consider the last couple of days as 'great'.... but others please chime in....
I hear people say the fishing is slow and talk about native and commercial openings! Lol. For myself and buddies it's been stellar! A quick limit for myself and my buddy yesterday afternoon on foot. Put the leg work in and find the good spots. Hint- fish high up on the north side of the river and in the main stem.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 06:10:56 PM by Wiseguy »

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #432 on: August 28, 2018, 06:35:00 PM »

I hear people say the fishing is slow and talk about native and commercial openings! Lol. For myself and buddies it's been stellar! A quick limit for myself and my buddy yesterday afternoon on foot. Put the leg work in and find the good spots. Hint- fish high up on the north side of the river and in the main stem.

It has been quite slow in the areas we have been fishing and had typically been limiting out in short order... there is a definite change... perhaps FN, perhaps changeover between runs, perhaps.... ?.  End of the day, if you want fish, its currently fish 'hunting', and as was said above, finding the rarer travel lanes when putting in time to find them.  Not my experience of great sockeye fishing... but all the power to those that do.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 08:32:40 PM by marshal »

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #433 on: August 28, 2018, 07:50:19 PM »

Got my fish tonight on the lower . Had to work hard for them. Only runts being hooked where I was all covered in net marks. Fishing was slow today for sure thru chilliwack from what I saw .

BBarley

« Reply #434 on: August 28, 2018, 08:36:10 PM »

The best part of sockeye fishing, or any salmon fishing where the fish are moving by in numbers, is to watch your spot on the river slowly narrow as more and more people think you have "the hot spot." Definitely pays dividends to really monitor where your hooking up and what's happening with regards to bottom structure, at least with the bars just below Hope. Not to brag/preach/condescend the art of lining salmon, but certainly those who know seem to get in and get out a lot faster then the quadrennial beak out who hasn't held a rod since 2014.

On another note, how much rain is going to have to fall to turn Vedder Creek back into a river again? I can't imagine anything swimming up that in it's current state.