Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices  (Read 170207 times)

marshal

• Hook Chucker
Re: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices
« Reply #390 on: August 26, 2018, 11:37:19 AM »

Last commercial opening was Aug 21.  FN opening on the lower fraser was yesterday.  Next FN opening for Monday and following meeting late Monday expect a commercial opening announcement.
Looks like it has been a consistent 24/7 opening for FN for the past weeks.....
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 11:44:41 AM by marshal »

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #391 on: August 26, 2018, 11:56:11 AM »

Looks like it has been a consistent 24/7 opening for FN for the past weeks.....

I'm also confused about FN openings listed in the DFO notices. I see the same areas fished with nets all the time. I'm not against it but I am wondering where these notices are. I saw them out from Harrison to island 22 yesterday. Where is the notice ? I'd like to fish down stream or avoid one if I can.

tfishy

« Reply #392 on: August 26, 2018, 12:15:14 PM »

Sorry I was referring more to the fishing that was happening in the tidal portion of the Fraser mostly.

The FN openings have food fisheries, and their own commercial openings.  The ones you see on DFOs Fishery Notices page are usually the economic FN notices.  Other openings upper river are at

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/fraser/abor-autoc-eng.html

They will usually have FN fisheries of any type on the lower Fraser from Friday to Monday and have Regular commercial openings From  Tuesday - Thursdays.  They try to stagger the openings and have the opening be on a slack tide or close to it on the lower Fraser.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #393 on: August 26, 2018, 12:30:55 PM »

Yep, netting all morning in front of us, and the same yesterday too.  And it was very slow, although we each had enough on to limit, we only managed to land 1 each.  Very chrome and fresh today - seems the fish have gotten fresher since Friday.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #394 on: August 26, 2018, 05:09:43 PM »

It is good that people are enjoying the fishery for what is  a chance to catch one of the best eating salmon out there. However, like everything else there are yahoos out there who have to give sports fisherman a bad name. On the Hope Bulletin board on Facebook it was posted that some idiots were fishing yesterday in a boat and not only yelling insults to the natives on shore, but exposing themselves and urinating in front of them too. It is yahoos like this who give reasons to the decision makers to not open the sports fishery. And can you blame them, this is an  incident that could have gotten very, very ugly. Hopefully the asshats get caught from the videos and pictures that were taken by people on shore.

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #395 on: August 26, 2018, 05:56:44 PM »

So far, it looks like mainly drift nets are being allowed for 10-12 hours per day, Mon - Weds this week, from Sumas River (canal) upstream to Laidlaw.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 05:59:13 PM by marshal »

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #396 on: August 26, 2018, 06:08:31 PM »

Sorry I was referring more to the fishing that was happening in the tidal portion of the Fraser mostly.

The FN openings have food fisheries, and their own commercial openings.  The ones you see on DFOs Fishery Notices page are usually the economic FN notices.  Other openings upper river are at

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/fraser/abor-autoc-eng.html

They will usually have FN fisheries of any type on the lower Fraser from Friday to Monday and have Regular commercial openings From  Tuesday - Thursdays.  They try to stagger the openings and have the opening be on a slack tide or close to it on the lower Fraser.

There is a link to a First Nations sockeye total cumulative catch report on the page link, above.  There is no catch recorded after August 5th between the Port Mann Bridge upstream to Sawmill Creek.  I presume that this data is not up to date.  Anyone have any info on this data?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #397 on: August 26, 2018, 08:50:38 PM »

This data is more up to date as of friday the 24th,  4 million harvested so far by all groups

https://www.psc.org/download/580/2018/11305/august-24-2018-2.pdf
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 08:52:12 PM by wildmanyeah »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #398 on: August 26, 2018, 08:56:28 PM »

It is good that people are enjoying the fishery for what is  a chance to catch one of the best eating salmon out there. However, like everything else there are yahoos out there who have to give sports fisherman a bad name. On the Hope Bulletin board on Facebook it was posted that some idiots were fishing yesterday in a boat and not only yelling insults to the natives on shore, but exposing themselves and urinating in front of them too. It is yahoos like this who give reasons to the decision makers to not open the sports fishery. And can you blame them, this is an  incident that could have gotten very, very ugly. Hopefully the asshats get caught from the videos and pictures that were taken by people on shore.

Yeah It got really bad in the late 90's. Was hoping people would just stay off the water for the FN fishery

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #399 on: August 26, 2018, 09:56:42 PM »

FWIW, today I saw an angler lose a fish to a FN drift net, but after they finished their set the FN boat made a point of coming back to where the angler broke off to try to return the fish to them.  Unfortunately, they had already pulled anchor and left.  Still, I am not seeing any overt hostility between the groups, but of course anglers complaining about how the drift netting is ruining the fishing, etc. 

sthdslayer

« Reply #400 on: August 27, 2018, 06:30:02 AM »

Just a note on that incident the picture shows they were sturgeon fishing not sockeye fishing for what its worth

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #401 on: August 27, 2018, 07:54:34 AM »

Just a note on that incident the picture shows they were sturgeon fishing not sockeye fishing for what its worth
Which incident?  The one I was describing was sockeye fishing.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #402 on: August 27, 2018, 10:56:27 AM »

Which incident?  The one I was describing was sockeye fishing.

From Facebook, Their is also a picture of a guy peeing off the back of his boat.

Stacy McNeil
August 25 at 11:53 PM ·

Every year we deal with this. Disrespect for our indigenous rights and traditions, our sacred fishing grounds and our people.
Today, although not new to us, we had sports fisherman decide to anchor their boat in front of our fish camp. Two indigenous women and three children were at the river cutting and cleaning our fish, enjoying the teachings we were passing on and the gathering of our family’s food. The sports-fishermen began loud, obnoxious conversations loaded with disgraceful language. After some time, one of the mothers asked them to please stop using foul language in front of our children.
Their response was to tell us to shut up and begin urinating in front of us, asking us to suck their cocks. The first offender left his penis out for a long period of time, repeating his earlier request. The mother again asked for them to stop as children were present but they did not. They had no fear in front of us women and children. Eventually, their comments and lewdness got worse. According to them, we are dumb Indians who are stealing all of the fish, getting free fish and free gas. More and more words slandering our people and culture occurred.
While I was on the phone with rcmp, as the abuse could be heard all down the river, three boats full of indigenous warriors came and circled the offenders, suggesting that they move along. The offenders continued to insult these men, calling them down as people who have stolen fish for many years, etc. Eventually, they pulled anchor and drifted away - not before one of them rolled his pants and underwear down to provide everyone with a full frontal view of his privates.
All of these five “men” were drinking.
Rcmp reported to be on their way but did not come, calling first to say they would be sending instead an email address via text for us to send the photos we had taken. We have many and share one with you now.
Enough is enough. Our fishing grounds are sacred. Our ancient sturgeon use them to feed also and are being mercilessly tormented day in and day out. Sports fisherman should not fish near our traditional sites. Stop the disrespect. ✊🏼

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #403 on: August 27, 2018, 11:02:54 AM »

I'm so sorry to hear of this. :-[
Find solace in the fact that those who did it are what we call "white trash", and they are a disgrace to humanity.

If you have video of this offense, please send it to me. I will forward it to the proper authorities and media.
Like you said, enough is enough. People like those offenders don't deserve to go unpunished. Such behaviour is UNACCEPTABLE.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #404 on: August 27, 2018, 11:21:48 AM »

I'm so sorry to hear of this. :-[
Find solace in the fact that those who did it are what we call "white trash", and they are a disgrace to humanity.

If you have video of this offense, please send it to me. I will forward it to the proper authorities and media.
Like you said, enough is enough. People like those offenders don't deserve to go unpunished. Such behaviour is UNACCEPTABLE.

Looks like its going Viral now, Last time i checked it had over 1000 shares, I am sure all the proper authority and media are already involved.