Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices  (Read 170235 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices
« Reply #345 on: August 22, 2018, 10:37:04 AM »

Any idea how many more openings the commies are going to get for their pogey hours at this point with the returns falling around the p25 mark?

returns are at the p25 mark? From what I have seen they have been p50 or better.

No idea how many more openings. The biggest component, the Adams River run, has yet to arrive in big numbers. I would guess another next week and perhaps after Labour Day, depending on how concern for interior Coho get factored into the decision.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #346 on: August 22, 2018, 10:49:00 AM »

This was an interesting non-announcement:

Fishery Notice
Category(s): COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net
Subject: FN0836-COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net - Fraser River Sockeye - Area E - Area 29 - Closed August 21, 2018

The Area E Gill net fishery described in FN0809 closed as scheduled at 18:00
hours August 21, 2018. 

The next update on the progress of Fraser River sockeye runs and fishing
opportunities will be available on Thursday, August 23, 2018 following the
Fraser River Panel meeting.

Recorded updates for fisheries notices are available at (604)666-2828 or
1-866-431-3474.

FOR MORE INFORMATION

Barbara Mueller, Resource Manager (Fraser River), Delta (604)666-2370
Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0836
Sent August 22, 2018 at 1030

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #347 on: August 22, 2018, 11:26:04 AM »

Captain Obvious says, "the end is near."  :-\

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #348 on: August 22, 2018, 11:38:33 AM »

Fishery Notice
Subject: FN0836-COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net - Fraser River Sockeye - Area E - Area 29 - Closed August 21, 2018

hours August 21, 2018. 

1-866-431-3474.

FOR MORE INFORMATION

Maybe I missed something here but I see no deviation from what they normally say every Tuesday or Thursday.

I remeber reading in one announcement that there is no change to the predicted number and that the Adam's run is staging now. I know U would love to see a rec extension past Sept 3rd for one week. But, to be honest I'm getting tired of cleaning fish everyday and my wifes patients are wearing thin.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #349 on: August 22, 2018, 11:53:15 AM »

Maybe I missed something here but I see no deviation from what they normally say every Tuesday or Thursday.

I remeber reading in one announcement that there is no change to the predicted number and that the Adam's run is staging now. I know U would love to see a rec extension past Sept 3rd for one week. But, to be honest I'm getting tired of cleaning fish everyday and my wifes patients are wearing thin.

Try feeding your wifes patients some of the fish you've been catching and they should improve. You don't have to go and kill everyday.  ::)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #350 on: August 22, 2018, 12:48:23 PM »

Try feeding your wifes patients some of the fish you've been catching and they should improve. You don't have to go and kill everyday.  ::)

Well I sure do put my time into lots of things around home. I work a Fri, Sat, Sunday shift and I'm home for 4. Parrent, work on the other business and home duties. Yes I get out lots but I never take a day off. I earn it.shell just have to realize how good she has it. I could be working 6 days a week at another place. She lucky  ;)

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #351 on: August 22, 2018, 01:02:10 PM »

Well I sure do put my time into lots of things around home. I work a Fri, Sat, Sunday shift and I'm home for 4. Parrent, work on the other business and home duties. Yes I get out lots but I never take a day off. I earn it.shell just have to realize how good she has it. I could be working 6 days a week at another place. She lucky  ;)

Sorry - I thought your wife was a health care provider.  ;D

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #352 on: August 22, 2018, 01:52:36 PM »

Well , by the sounds of it your storing enough socks to last you till the next cycle  ;) . Eat fish , drink and stay thirsty my friends  ;D .Realistically , you got about six months to pound all that sockeye down . After that they will taste like farmed crap  :o ;D ;D ;D ;D.
Cheers
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

tfishy

« Reply #353 on: August 22, 2018, 02:29:47 PM »

Fishery Notice

hours August 21, 2018. 

1-866-431-3474.

FOR MORE INFORMATION

This is just a statement to end any possible extension to the opening on Tuesday.  There will be an opening next week.

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #354 on: August 22, 2018, 03:34:54 PM »

I thought today would have been awful but sheer luck and the right spot two of us limited in an hour and half this AM.
That's the way it goes sometimes.... yesterday, a bad day, I was (the first) off the bar with my limit in under a couple of hours with not much else going on all around me, and today, 4 hours nets me 1... very slow this morning.

SilverChaser

« Reply #355 on: August 22, 2018, 04:07:40 PM »

Nada this morning, change spots, me and dad both limit out  ;D
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

Robert_G

« Reply #356 on: August 22, 2018, 04:49:50 PM »

They already warned of a possible extension, and the way things are going this season....its basically a sure thing....question is how long the extension will be.

Wow....I don't mind being wrong on this sort of thing....but its rare to see the commercials not get this sort of thing.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #357 on: August 22, 2018, 04:59:44 PM »

Wow....I don't mind being wrong on this sort of thing....but its rare to see the commercials not get this sort of thing.
I was also surprised to see this was the only opening this week.  Of course, they could still announce an opening for Friday that screws up our whole weekend.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #358 on: August 22, 2018, 06:18:48 PM »

The Fraser River Sport Fishery is pretty small in the scheme of things. As far as sport fishing goes the saltwater is the big event. FNs and commercial pull more weight yet. I don't think the PSC and DFO will worry too much about impacting a long weekends fishing if they think there is a window for a net fishery. If you consider the political aspect, the Liberals know they can't win most of the valley ridings and the Conservatives kow they can't lose.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

dcajaxs

« Reply #359 on: August 22, 2018, 06:47:47 PM »

FN openings both tomorrow and Friday so basically the river is netted from Tuesday on....