Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices  (Read 170197 times)

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices
« Reply #330 on: August 20, 2018, 08:32:00 PM »

River has seemed to slow down considerably, at least where I've been. Test nets have also taken a downturn........ are they holding off the mouth or have the nets scooped everything out? In river commercial opening closed Thursday night, surely the river should have refilled since then. Where's the big surge of late runs?
Is that just today you are seeing this?  Saturday was slow for us as expected (although we could have limited three times if we could have kept fish hooked), and yesterday was easy limits in less than 2 hours.  This is fishing in Chilliwack.  If you are far upriver, maybe you are still seeing a gap from the commercial openings?  Were you above the bulk of the FN netting on Saturday?  They also seemed to pretty effectively sweeping the river. 

BBarley

« Reply #331 on: August 20, 2018, 08:50:27 PM »

Is that just today you are seeing this?  Saturday was slow for us as expected (although we could have limited three times if we could have kept fish hooked), and yesterday was easy limits in less than 2 hours.  This is fishing in Chilliwack.  If you are far upriver, maybe you are still seeing a gap from the commercial openings?  Were you above the bulk of the FN netting on Saturday?  They also seemed to pretty effectively sweeping the river.

I noticed it's gotten progressively worse since Friday, just west of Hope area, today being the worse...... What would be the travel time to gauge the voids left by the openings, 3 days for Hope, 2 for Chilliwack?

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #332 on: August 20, 2018, 09:00:59 PM »

I noticed it's gotten progressively worse since Friday, just west of Hope area, today being the worse...... What would be the travel time to gauge the voids left by the openings, 3 days for Hope, 2 for Chilliwack?
I suspect at least part of the void you saw today was from the FN opening on Saturday.  We saw as many as a dozen gillnet boats in front of us at various times on Saturday - pulling up as many as 30 or more fish per set.  I don't know how many kms this was happening at once, but I would expect it to take a good bite out of the run further upstream.

BBarley

« Reply #333 on: August 20, 2018, 09:09:37 PM »

I suspect at least part of the void you saw today was from the FN opening on Saturday.  We saw as many as a dozen gillnet boats in front of us at various times on Saturday - pulling up as many as 30 or more fish per set.  I don't know how many kms this was happening at once, but I would expect it to take a good bite out of the run further upstream.

I imagine that's the case, openings Wed/Thurs/Sat probably put a pretty big gap in the river that seemed more pronounced in the upper reaches. Hopefully Sunday/Monday loads back up and the commercial opening stays only 8 hours tomorrow.

Any idea when the majority of the late run usually hits the marine approach areas? (12/13 and 20) Just curious if we're still seeing summer runs primarily coming in.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #334 on: August 21, 2018, 05:45:07 AM »

I mentioned above there may be a lull before the late (Adams) run comes in. Past years when that component is not strong usually sees results tail off around the 3rd week of August. That is because the summer run has mostly passed upstream
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 05:52:25 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #335 on: August 21, 2018, 02:39:30 PM »

I was very slow at scale today, nothing for me and very few limits, also seabird parking area was not available because of the fire , they parked quite a walk away.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #336 on: August 21, 2018, 03:00:01 PM »

216 sockeye in the Albion test net yesterday - the biggest daily total yet this year.  And finally a decent day for chinook numbers too.  Doesn't look like a lull between runs yet.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #337 on: August 21, 2018, 04:53:50 PM »

fishing was very good this morning where I was near Hope - many limits taken.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #338 on: August 21, 2018, 04:59:23 PM »

Is there any opening for commercial in the river this week?

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #339 on: August 21, 2018, 05:15:29 PM »

Still no announcement about the gillnet opening in the river mouth.  Per the last announcement, the current opening closes in 45 minutes but may be extended further.  No announcement about other gillnet openings in the mouth this week either - could be a good sign for us for the weekend.  Fingers crossed . . .

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #340 on: August 21, 2018, 06:29:37 PM »

Saturday was very slow, we were above the fn nets so not much was getting through.  Last night was on fire at snaggy.  That bar really lives up to it's name  ::)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #341 on: August 21, 2018, 09:49:26 PM »

I take the boat out 4 days a week from island 22 and fish Grassy on up to Calamity point. It was slow Monday and today. We battled for 6 hours and only hooked two fish with one taken home. I saw many people give up. It was brutal out there.not worth the $18 in gas and snacks to go out for the day in a boat.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #342 on: August 22, 2018, 08:52:40 AM »

I take the boat out 4 days a week from island 22 and fish Grassy on up to Calamity point. It was slow Monday and today. We battled for 6 hours and only hooked two fish with one taken home. I saw many people give up. It was brutal out there.not worth the $18 in gas and snacks to go out for the day in a boat.

X 2 river was dead from mtn bar to grassy yesterday ... saw enough in a couple hours to leave early and avoid boat launch madness.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #343 on: August 22, 2018, 10:15:26 AM »

I thought today would have been awful but sheer luck and the right spot two of us limited in an hour and half this AM.

BBarley

« Reply #344 on: August 22, 2018, 10:21:03 AM »

X3 pour moi near Hope. Starting to think said spot just isn't a big producer without big numbers in the river.

Any idea how many more openings the commies are going to get for their pogey hours at this point with the returns falling around the p25 mark?