Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices  (Read 170140 times)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices
« Reply #240 on: August 12, 2018, 10:30:36 AM »

Excellent advice, thanks!

My phone auto corrected  moved to Novemeber. I dont know why

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #241 on: August 12, 2018, 10:33:10 AM »

Westside, eh? This guy is good, he really breaks down the b-b'ing rigging for you. He points out that some guys are using 20' leaders but he prefers to only use 12'.

Apprearntly 20-25# fluorocarbon line is the key so the fish don't see the leader.  ::)

Hmmmm - good advice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_HwOfL_xLU

You decide if this helps you. That braided knot does look good though.

I would say floro only because it sinks. But Mono works just fine and the added stretch is perfect. Whatever works I guess.

I tie dark green wool and corky 2" behind my hook to not interfere with a hookset. So many ways to floss. Whatever

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #242 on: August 12, 2018, 10:50:19 AM »

Yes many ways to bounce. Biggest thing is just go out an get them while and if you can. Finest eating fish you can get out of this river and you never know, you may not get another crack at them next cycle 4 years from now.

dave c

« Reply #243 on: August 13, 2018, 05:00:15 AM »

Yes many ways to bounce. Biggest thing is just go out an get them while and if you can. Finest eating fish you can get out of this river and you never know, you may not get another crack at them next cycle 4 years from now.
I too tie my corkie below thr hook. Got my 2 in half an hour yesterday

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #244 on: August 13, 2018, 09:35:13 AM »

Got my 2 in half an hour yesterday.

Yesterday everybody I talked with limited out. It was a great day for flossing.
Ruined only by the double-dippers. Had to chase off a whole group off of Croft Island.
They were four guys who limited out while I was sitting behind them, waiting for a spot to open.
They left with their 8 fish, and then came back an hour later with the intention to fish again. 
Not cool. Not cool at all.

They did get a piece of my and other people's mind and left. I took their license plates and will be watching.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #245 on: August 13, 2018, 09:47:23 AM »

Awesome work milo,  enforcement knows this happens all time time but unless they are out their documenting it it’s hard to charge. With the DFO office in mission getting shut down and officers retiring and positions no being back filled they is hardly any left.

It’s really up to the public to stop this and shame the f out of these people.

Sockeye is a shared resource by all Canadians. They are stealing from us when people do cupcakes like this. We all loose as a society.

So I thank you

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #246 on: August 13, 2018, 12:53:22 PM »

Yesterday everybody I talked with limited out. It was a great day for flossing.
Ruined only by the double-dippers. Had to chase off a whole group off of Croft Island.
They were four guys who limited out while I was sitting behind them, waiting for a spot to open.
They left with their 8 fish, and then came back an hour later with the intention to fish again. 
Not cool. Not cool at all.

They did get a piece of my and other people's mind and left. I took their license plates and will be watching.

...what pikers! Don't they know the proper way to double dip is to go home and bring back the wife, kids and the grandparents?

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

dave c

« Reply #247 on: August 13, 2018, 02:40:56 PM »

Can anyone confirm that there is a commercial opening Wednesday?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #248 on: August 13, 2018, 03:39:34 PM »

Lost three in the AM. Then nothing for 3 hours. We moved, got a prime spot at the tail end of a busy bar and caught limit for two guys in 5 min

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #249 on: August 13, 2018, 04:31:35 PM »

Can anyone confirm that there is a commercial opening Wednesday?
Should be on their notices, did you check?

tfishy

« Reply #250 on: August 13, 2018, 06:09:01 PM »

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #251 on: August 13, 2018, 06:10:55 PM »

Opening will be confirmed tomorrow.

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=211924&ID=all
Looks like a shorter proposed opening than last time, yes?  Wasn't it 24 hours last time?  This is only 16 hours.

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #252 on: August 13, 2018, 06:20:13 PM »

Popped my cherry! Fished for sockeye and the Peg Leg both for the very first time today. Trial by fire, I guess. Amazed at how many people are there on a weekday. 11-3, managed to land one, hooked a few more. Two guys (friends, I guess) next to me argued over which colour wool to use. One insisted on green because it infuriates to fish. The other guy also insisted on green because they can't see it. lol, probably the latter.

Question: An older couple was fishing below me. Well, the man was, landing four fish between them while the wife never left her chair. I presume she has a licence but she has to bring it to shore, no? nobody said anything.

Another guy snagged my line a few times, when I unhooked him, I noticed he didn't pinch the barb. I told him but he just giggled. wtf?

Is all this typical for the fishery? I mean, it was fun and most people were cordial but it's a difficult value proposition coming from downtown to combat for two fish, maybe. I guess you really have to get closer to Hope for the best action?

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #253 on: August 13, 2018, 07:16:03 PM »

Quick question Re: limits.

If say 3 people are on a guided trip.  The limit for the guests would be 6 sockeye.  Can the guide also catch his two during the same trip for a total of 8 in the boat, legally?

Not for me, just looking at some guide pics on social media...

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #254 on: August 13, 2018, 07:35:20 PM »

Yes the guide can always fish for his limit, some are even nice and gift them to your wife when she picks you up.

Others will be stocking their own freezer or catching for sturgeon bait.

Technically the guild could also gift you his two at the end of the trip as well and your could bring home your possession limit of 4.

Not sure people would find that ethical but in this harvest fishery anything seems to go.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 07:41:41 PM by wildmanyeah »