Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heads up Capilano  (Read 28507 times)

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Heads up Capilano
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2018, 11:37:54 PM »

Milo is the classic example of a fisherman who wasn't any good at fishing and could barely catch anything so they started fly fishing to justify not being able to catch fish. Then talks down bait fishing like he is above it.
LOL! You wish! I always make jokes about fishing with bait. Hence the wink and tongue smilies. And FWIW, I'm not above bait. I just don't like getting my hands and gear dirty with borax and dye - hence my switch to artificials. I fish salmon with gear (jigs, blades, spinners, wool, beads and corkies) as much as I do with the fly.
My participation in the salmon fishery has diminished considerably, but I am obviously still quite successful in getting excitable posters to rise to my presentation and take it hook, line and sinker.  ;D

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2018, 11:42:55 PM »

The summer run steelhead at the Cap may not stand a chance with the natives weirs up so many months in summer. DFO should tell the natives to release any steelhead caught by the netting at the weirs. Anybody know if natives keep the summer run steelhead or release them past the weirs? But what about those fishing with the treble hooks at the reserve. Can DFO do something about that? The summer runs are so low in number they don't stand a chance against the treble hooks. That is as non-selective as can be when those trebles are being yanked across the river.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2018, 11:46:32 PM »

My participation in the salmon fishery has diminished considerably, but I am obviously still quite successful in getting excitable posters to rise to my presentation and take it hook, line and sinker.  ;D

You are undoubtedly the Masterbaiter ;)

avid angler

« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2018, 12:17:41 AM »

The summer run steelhead at the Cap may not stand a chance with the natives weirs up so many months in summer. DFO should tell the natives to release any steelhead caught by the netting at the weirs. Anybody know if natives keep the summer run steelhead or release them past the weirs? But what about those fishing with the treble hooks at the reserve. Can DFO do something about that? The summer runs are so low in number they don't stand a chance against the treble hooks. That is as non-selective as can be when those trebles are being yanked across the river.

TBH I would rather have them harvesting food/ceremonial/roadside sales fish there where it's actually sustainable thanks to the hatchery. Unlike the Fraser river wild chinook and sockeye genocide

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2018, 06:40:15 AM »

Knnn, you reopened this thread with a Clint Eastwood style threat, love Clint by the way, then you comment about someone's thinly veiled threat ? You basically told every person on this forum that if you see them fishing bait on the cap you will be in their face with a camera. That's threatening. You then go on to speak of moral flexibility and breaking and bending of rules. So it's safe to assume then that you never have or never will break any of the laws of this land ? Never sped, fudged your taxes,ran a stop sign ? I doubt it. While I agree if there's a bait ban then leave the bait at home you just sound like you need to come off your high horse.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2018, 08:27:08 AM »

Why dont you guys go post up at some wild rivers where no ones around and the real poachers can do harm. Go pester snaggers at the popular spots if youre so concerned about the fish. Taking pictures and videos of people using roe in the canyon is just a weaselly rat move. There are far bigger fish to fry.
WE live in the social media world.
If your caught picking your nose or scratching your butt it could go viral
(and if ya did it at the same time there might even be an infection)
Just because the Cap is a hatch river doesn't mean there should be no rules.

A lot of folks Here complain about the bottom bouncing, flossing and snagging, particularly after a sockeye harvest opening and yet seem to feel the same harvest mentality is OK on certain rivers and not on others?
Where was that learned?

There are kudos and applause whenever someone posts about a poacher being caught or fined.

There are unscrupulous people in every segment of society as well as those who make mistakes.

Perhaps,  However if you can catch and discourage before they become "The Bigger Fish"....

Walleye76

« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2018, 12:33:20 PM »

The fact this is even a "discussion" that has some backing the poachers blows my mind. The mentality that its a "stupid rule" imo is what breeds poaching in the first place. How many lurkers/new anglers (and we all know how many new anglers come with a sockeye opening) do you think read this and then decide "ya they are right im gonna do this too"??I dont fish the cap but I can garuntee you that if any poachers come to my home river and do this I too will be "in thier face with a camera" and making the call to RAPP like a "rat". @knnn Thank you for your actions and call out of these types of offenders. To those of you that choose to make up reasons why they dont/wont follow the regs...I sincerely hope you get caught and your stripped of your gear and made an example of. Rest assured the ethical anglers on this and other boards WILL "rat" your beak A $ $ out. (And FYI that is a threat, one that I and others will follow through on)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 12:36:03 PM by Walleye76 »

Fatso

« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2018, 12:57:22 PM »

(And FYI that is a threat, one that I and others will follow through on)
....Milo!  You got another one!  :)

Walleye76

« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2018, 01:03:21 PM »

....Milo!  You got another one!  :)

Might wanna re read Milos posts, from what I read he was on the side of using the proper avenues to change the regs if you feel they are outdated/stupid/etc. My post was directed at the beaks that simply choose to do as they see fit regardless of the regs  and label those making a positive contribution to our sport as "weaselly rats"

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2018, 01:55:35 PM »

Knnn, you reopened this thread with a Clint Eastwood style threat, love Clint by the way, then you comment about someone's thinly veiled threat ? You basically told every person on this forum that if you see them fishing bait on the cap you will be in their face with a camera. That's threatening. You then go on to speak of moral flexibility and breaking and bending of rules. So it's safe to assume then that you never have or never will break any of the laws of this land ? Never sped, fudged your taxes,ran a stop sign ? I doubt it. While I agree if there's a bait ban then leave the bait at home you just sound like you need to come off your high horse.

In hindsight I agree with some of your comments.  I was still upset at seeing such flagrant abuse and sometimes it is difficult to properly convey your thoughts and meaning through the computer screen.  I presume you have seen the video and can understand why?  I have no intent to "get in their face", just that I will document my observations and report it.  Certainly that represents a treat with respect to the very low possibility of prosecution, however, it was not intended as a physical threat, which is what I perceived Aarons comment to be.  Again, in hindsight, I may have been hasty, because I have meet Aaron before (I'm not sure he would recall) and I remember him to be a good and passionate angler.  So he probably intended it to be a word of caution.  To be honest I'm too chicken shyte to get up into anyone's face and be all confrontational. 

I agree we all break rules, I try not to whenever possible, but the last thing I want is to sound like I'm preaching and sitting on my high horse, that's just the type of person I am.

I thought the Clint reference was apt and somewhat tongue in cheek, intended to provide a warning to others who may use roe illegally, or who are siting on the fence, that it may not be worth the risk.  Since this incident kicked off, I now know that at least 2 other peopled called DFO that day about the same issue and therefore share my feelings.  Unfortunately because DFO is so stretched, little or nothing ever happens about these calls.  As a result there are zero consequences and the poachers do not ever find out they were reported and do not perceive there to be any risk associated with their actions.  I wanted to make a point that this was not the case and there may be consequences for all our actions on the river.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 02:14:58 PM by Knnn »

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2018, 02:00:11 PM »

Might wanna re read Milos posts, from what I read he was on the side of using the proper avenues to change the regs if you feel they are outdated/stupid/etc. My post was directed at the beaks that simply choose to do as they see fit regardless of the regs  and label those making a positive contribution to our sport as "weaselly rats"
Since you quoted part of my post and basically inferred I was a poacher you might wanna reread my post. I agreed with not using bait on a bait ban river. I just get a laugh out of guys who loudly preach about the law on the river when they probably break all sorts of other laws. Not you though obviously. %100 law abiding citizen. Too funny.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2018, 02:03:27 PM »

In hindsight I agree with some of your comments.  I was still upset at seeing such flagrant abuse and sometimes it is difficult to properly convey your thoughts and meaning through the computer screen.  I presume you have seen the video and can understand why?  I have no intent to "get in their face", just that I will document my observations and report it.  Certainly that represents a treat with respect to the very low possibility of prosecution, however, it was not intended as a physical threat, which is what I perceived Aarons comment to be.  Again, in hindsight, I may have been hasty, because I have meet Aaron before (I'm not sure he would recall) and I remember him to be a good and passionate angler.  So he probably intended it to be a word of caution.  To be honest I'm too chicken shyte to get up into anyone's face and be all confrontational. 
No worries. We all bend some laws sometimes was my only point. Yes I saw the video and would definitely have given a polite reminder of the regs.

I agree we all break rules, I try not to whenever possible, but the last thing I want is to sound like I'm preaching and sitting on my high horse, that's just the type of person I am.

I thought the Clint reference was apt and somewhat tongue in cheek, intended to provide a warning to others who may use roe illegally, or who are siting on the fence, that it may not be worth the risk.  Since this incident kicked off, I now know that at least 2 other peopled called DFO that day about the same issue and therefore share my feelings.  Unfortunately because DFO is so stretched, little or nothing ever happens about these calls.  As a result there are zero consequences and the poachers do ever find out they were reported and do not perceive there to be any risk associated with their actions.  I wanted to make a point that this was not the case and there may be consequences for all our actions on the river.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2018, 02:07:54 PM »

No worries Knnn. I was simply pointing out that we all bend or break some laws sometimes. Saw the video and yes I would most likely politely point out the regs to those fellas if I was there.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2018, 02:37:09 PM »

Just curious where did it took place. Highway bridge ?

Walleye76

« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2018, 06:28:41 PM »

So let me get this straight..... your real goal here was to protect the guys who will take pics/video and/confront violators from possible physical altercations? My bad I guess the part where you indicated we should go report on wilder rivers and leave the Cap poachers I mean "stupid rule" breakers go about thier business really threw me off from your intended message. So thanks for the concern with our well being.. ::)
My comment regarding that mentallity breeds poaching was not intended to be litteral, as I pointed out in the following sentence there are lots of lurkers and new anglers on this forum and there are lots of new impressionable anglers on the river that see a guy decked out in simms head to toe with a sage and a milner using roe on during a bait ban and think thats how its done and the only way to target salmon successfully.Just like we see anglers that get introduced to salmon fishing via the sockeye flossery then move to smaller tribs and use the same methods.

Do I agree with all the regs all the time? No I dont, do I feel like I have the right to pick and choose which ones I will follow? Again no, I dont, regardless of weather or not I agree with it or not.
The point is where does it stop? Its ok on hatchery rivers cause thats the purpose? Will every angler then feel that way and restrict thier reg bending ways to rivers with hatcheries? Do you use bait on the Cap or any other bait ban river? I dont fault anyone for feeling like some of the regs are stupid/bias/outdated etc etc. Its when they take it upon themselves to determine which they follow at which times, on which rivers, for which species, that I take issue with.