Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heads up Capilano  (Read 28520 times)

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Heads up Capilano
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2018, 04:40:23 PM »

BRING IT.

And I'll stand by his side when he does.
The law is the law. Nobody is above it.

If you feel so strongly that goo should be allowed on the Cap, use the myriad legal venues at your disposal (bring it up at your fishing club meetings, write letters, gather signatures, lobby local politicians.
Breaking the law will only land you in trouble. Ask those who thought they were smarter than the cops and lit up joints on city streets back in the 80s...

Defying the rules by openly breaking them DOESN'T show a strong character, but rather a weak, yet boastful one.

Besides, fishing with bait is for little fat kids who can't catch fish unless they feed them. ;) :P

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2018, 07:57:01 PM »

Change the regs to No fishing for steelhead July 31-sept 31. The amount of times those sad tired over hooked steelhead in the cable pool get casted at daily is depressing.

winter steel

« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2018, 08:10:49 PM »

BRING IT.

Really????.....What a well thought response! So......promote laws, uphold laws, protect laws.....only when they are convenient. Otherwise, do as you see fit??? Wow!!!

avid angler

« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2018, 08:12:31 PM »

And I'll stand by his side when he does.
The law is the law. Nobody is above it.

If you feel so strongly that goo should be allowed on the Cap, use the myriad legal venues at your disposal (bring it up at your fishing club meetings, write letters, gather signatures, lobby local politicians.
Breaking the law will only land you in trouble. Ask those who thought they were smarter than the cops and lit up joints on city streets back in the 80s...

Defying the rules by openly breaking them DOESN'T show a strong character, but rather a weak, yet boastful one.

Besides, fishing with bait is for little fat kids who can't catch fish unless they feed them. ;) :P

Milo is the classic example of a fisherman who wasn't any good at fishing and could barely catch anything so they started fly fishing to justify not being able to catch fish. Then talks down bait fishing like he is above it.

bobby b

« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2018, 08:28:42 PM »

BRING IT.

Richard ( Dick ) Cranium ( For brains )

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2018, 08:55:18 PM »

The argument that it is ethically/morally OK to use roe on the Cap appears to be based on a lot of conjecture that the bait ban is a stupid rule.  Is that the gist of it?  I presume this opinion is based on hard science and/or backed up by years of meticulous and detailed research, or is it based on less noble reasons? 

Has anyone actually tried to research this issue, tried to change DFO's opinion or even tried to clarify with DFO why the ban is in place.  Too much effort I guess, when it's just easier to break the rules, all in the name of instant self gratification.  I wonder if this is a generational issue?

If people feel justified in using roe, does that mean they should also feel justified in using a barbed hook?  Why not a barbed hook with three points; hell why not wrap some lead around that sucker?   After all it's only a hatchery kill system, so what does it matter, right?  Depending on the degree of an individuals moral flexibility, people might as well start bonking wild fish, because everyone knows there are no wild fish on the system?  As more and more rules get openly flaunted how much easier is it for everyone else to become more "flexible" on how many, what sizes and what species of fish are retained?  Where do you draw the line exactly and, as a top rod, would you not wish to set a good example to encourage other less experienced or knowledgeable anglers to become better rather than lesser participants in this sport.

Personally  I have no idea why there is a bait ban, but I also do not feel the need to question it.  I would hope the even if top rods thought a rule was stupid, they would still not flaunt the law and encourage, by example, others to do the same.

BRING IT.  Really; for your third post?  Would you prefer cookies or PB&J?

Aaron, I'm disappointed, I thought you to be a conscientious angler and the thinly veiled threat was particularly impressive.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2018, 08:57:56 PM »

The argument that it is ethically/morally OK to use roe on the Cap appears to be based on a lot of conjecture that the bait ban is a stupid rule.  Is that the gist of it?  I presume this opinion is based on hard science and/or backed up by years of meticulous and detailed research, or is it based on less noble reasons? 

Has anyone actually tried to research this issue, tried to change DFO's opinion or even tried to clarify with DFO why the ban is in place.  Too much effort I guess, when it's just easier to break the rules, all in the name of instant self gratification.  I wonder if this is a generational issue?

If people feel justified in using roe, does that mean they should also feel justified in using a barbed hook?  Why not a barbed hook with three points; hell why not wrap some lead around that sucker?   After all it's only a hatchery kill system, so what does it matter, right?  Depending on the degree of an individuals moral flexibility, people might as well start bonking wild fish, because everyone knows there are no wild fish on the system?  As more and more rules get openly flaunted how much easier is it for everyone else to become more "flexible" on how many, what sizes and what species of fish are retained, irrespective of those stupid pesky rules?  Where do you draw the line exactly and, as a top rod, would you not wish to set a good example to encourage other less experienced or knowledgeable anglers to become better rather than lesser participants in this sport.  No wonder there are so many flossers and snaggers around.....

Personally  I have no idea why there is a bait ban, but I also do not feel the need to question it.  I would hope the even if top rods thought a rule was stupid, they would still not flaunt the law and encourage, by example, others to do the same.

BRING IT.  Really; for your third post?  Would you prefer cookies or PB&J?

Aaron, I'm disappointed, I thought you to be a conscientious angler and the thinly veiled threat was particularly impressive.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2018, 08:59:40 PM »

Knnn might be referring to this incident on the river today. People using bait and over limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxfBggKjGRs

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2018, 09:07:26 PM »

Knnn might be referring to this incident on the river today. People using bait and over limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxfBggKjGRs

Over limit eh, a perfect example of moral flexibility right there.  Any idea if this video has gone to DFO? 

RICHARD CRANIUM

« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2018, 09:18:41 PM »

Richard ( Dick ) Cranium ( For brains )

Dick Head.

avid angler

« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2018, 09:52:56 PM »

Once again a moot point. By sending our underfunded, understaffed fisheries and conservation officers to write tickets on the cap is a huge waste of our limited resources to stop poaching that will actually harm wild populatjons of fish. The limit of coho in the cap could be 100 fish per person per day and as long as the hatchery got their brood stock it won't make a lick of difference in the next run size
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 09:56:25 PM by avid angler »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2018, 10:00:30 PM »

I was told once by a very knowledgeable person that the roe ban was put in place to protect the summer steelhead. As to the use of roe, a few Capilano regulars use roe despite knowing full well there is a bait ban in effect.

avid angler

« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2018, 10:06:37 PM »

The summer steelhead are in the system from June to march. Good to know there's a bait ban for 3 of those months 🙄

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2018, 10:32:26 PM »

Once again a moot point. By sending our underfunded, understaffed fisheries and conservation officers to write tickets on the cap is a huge waste of our limited resources to stop poaching that will actually harm wild populatjons of fish.

I think that is a bit of a blinkered viewpoint.  I'm sure if you asked DFO they would have a very different opinion.  As for wasted effort, why; because the same guys would not poach anywhere else but the Cap and this will not act as a deterrent to these particular individuals, their friends or others?

Most of my fishing is on wilder rivers and I take the same approach to reporting all polluters and poachers as I do on the Cap.  Have you not thought that if everyone else did the same and took a stronger and consistence stance against breaking or bending the rules, just may be there would be less poaching everywhere.   

A poacher ain't going to report a poacher.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 11:41:21 PM by Knnn »

avid angler

« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2018, 11:02:27 PM »

DFO also allowed FN seine netting 25 of 30 days last October in the same year with the lowest IFS steelhead populations ever. Maybe not everyone agrees with DFO's priorities and decisions. I'm not blaming the enforcement officers. Im blaming the broken system and blind sheep following that system.