Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heads up Capilano  (Read 28651 times)

MetalAndFeathers

Re: Heads up Capilano
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2018, 07:25:59 PM »

Just gonna put this out there, wild summer steelhead. Makes you wonder what the actual summer steelhead run size on the cap really is.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn-SmjCgXuG/?taken-by=moni_ca_voisin

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bmuwx4jgc5T/?taken-by=moni_ca_voisin
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 07:35:13 PM by MetalAndFeathers »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2018, 08:13:18 PM »

LOL! You wish! I always make jokes about fishing with bait. Hence the wink and tongue smilies. And FWIW, I'm not above bait. I just don't like getting my hands and gear dirty with borax and dye - hence my switch to artificials. I fish salmon with gear (jigs, blades, spinners, wool, beads and corkies) as much as I do with the fly.
My participation in the salmon fishery has diminished considerably, but I am obviously still quite successful in getting excitable posters to rise to my presentation and take it hook, line and sinker.  ;D

If your jokes get lost in translation from your mother tongue maybe you should stick to just simple English (without jokes). Razumes?

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2018, 08:19:39 PM »

And a big thumbs up to the fellow with a nice coho at capilano rd and RTE 1 to hwy set of lights east side of the bridge. He was walking in his waders on the sidewalk! A real fisherman lol. Cheers.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2018, 10:48:10 PM »

Roderick

« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2018, 11:44:30 PM »

Ok I'll bite... my first post.

Those of you that a re defending the bait ban because it's the law I will applaud.  Without the laws there would be no fish.  But I have to ask.... how many of you have been at cable pool when the water is high in the fall?  Have you seen all the people with the orange and green wool, the 8 foot leaders, the RIP at the end of every cast, the joy on their face when they bring in a black spring jack by the tail?  Hey, they caught a fish. 

Given a choice those same people would be angling with roe and getting fish to bite, which is what happens at cable pool during the rest of the year when there is no bait ban.  But they can't.  Not legally.  Not without facing a social media back lash. 

Ahh the elusive Cap summer steelhead.... in a dozen falls fishing the Cap I have caught only a single steel, and it was on a spinner, and was bleeding like a stuck pig when I released it.  I felt bad cause it coulda been the only one that made it past the weir that year.  Seriously, I heard that one year the hatchery got only a single summer run, which they released...

But back to the subject at hand. 7/10 people (or so) that catch fish on the Cap in the fall do so by (legal) flossing and outright snagging.  Cable, Doctors pool, and Kieth Road are so much of a disgrace that I can't even bring myself to go there during the bait ban.  For those of you that only fish Vedder, think Kieth Wilson and Tamahi.  And some of them are proud to claim that they have been fishing that way for 30 years (so stfu they say). I asked one guy what colour wool he was using when he caught his spring at dog leg, and he was so embarrassed that he just looked the other way. Sad. Of the remaining 30% that catch fish, I estimate that 10% use lures and 20% use roe. 

Sure, there are other pools and I do well enough on spinners not to care. 

The Squamish river is bait ban all year.  It's not a dammed river, with only a small hatchery for it's size. In this river a bait ban may indeed have a sizable effect.  I respect that. 

It may be "too easy" to catch fish using roe in the Cap in the fall, but unless you really want sport fishermen to copy the FN style of harvesting I suggest to both DFO and the Squamish band that there should be no bait ban in place on this 100% hatchery river.

You shoulda been here yesterday.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2018, 10:27:47 PM »

Sometimes when we see something not right, instead of video taping people with the intent to shame them to rant our feeling (and you are lucky they didn't forcefully confront you to take away your camera or push you into the river, lol), it may be more effective to simply politely approach the person to tell him if he is aware of the regs not to do so. You don't imply a threat and so it is not confrontational and no one needs to be mad at you to risk a fight. The other day I was at the Cap and saw a young guy keeping his fish alive in a stringer (mind you he was using wool not roe, lol), I went up to him and politely asked him if he is aware that it is illegal and inhuman to do so. He was probably from some cultural background where people think it is the way to keep their catch as fresh as possible. But once he realized that, he instantly went ahead to bonk his fish. So something positive and educational was achieved without confrontation or threat. I told him CO can be in plain cloth so better not try break the law next time and he was receptive to that. So may be there is better approach to accomplish what we want to convey across than issuing threat or even confrontation at the river.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 10:30:27 PM by Steelhawk »

Fatso

« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2018, 08:49:29 AM »

Steelhawk, you are the voice of reason and civility. 👍

Stevejet

« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2018, 03:49:11 PM »

Ahh the elusive Cap summer steelhead.... in a dozen falls fishing the Cap I have caught only a single steel, and it was on a spinner, and was bleeding like a stuck pig when I released it.  I felt bad cause it coulda been the only one that made it past the weir that year.  Seriously, I heard that one year the hatchery got only a single summer run, which they released...

FYI, I was fishing beside an elder asian fellow yesterday near Hwy 1 overpass, and he caught a released 2 summer run steelhead.  They were both silver bullet and beautiful.  Told him he was very lucky as some people don't even catch 2 steelhead in a whole season, let alone 2 in one outing.

Roderick

« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2018, 03:47:45 PM »

Two steelhead is a very good day.  It's nice to hear that there are a few in there.  But did he catch them on bait?  The point I was trying to make is that steelhead will take a variety of presentations including flies and lures.  Any hook can puncture an artery or rip the esophagus and the steelhead that do make it past the weir will probably be caught at least a couple of times even before they reach the RIPers at cable pool. 

The only answer that makes sense in the face of all the fishing pressure this river faces is to increase the numbers of summer steelhead that the hatchery raises.  In the end the bait ban wont save them. 
You shoulda been here yesterday.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2018, 06:50:24 PM »

Razumem moj kurac! ;D

Ah...if you only had one.

bobby b

« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2018, 10:03:26 PM »

FYI, I was fishing beside an elder asian fellow yesterday near Hwy 1 overpass, and he caught a released 2 summer run steelhead.  They were both silver bullet and beautiful.  Told him he was very lucky as some people don't even catch 2 steelhead in a whole season, let alone 2 in one outing.

Nice, 2 in a day .... gotta like that.

A number of weeks back at an undisclosed spot on the Cap I saw at least 2 - 3 dozen Steelhead ... let that sink in...yes 2-3 dozen! I personally counted 20 or so individuals and noticed quite a few others coming and going. I had my gear with me but I did not target them. It was good to see. Then again last Wed I was fly fishing near the Hwy 1 overpass and a big steely sauntered up to me... literally 3-4 feet in front of me. It sat there for about 5-6 minutes then moved on. Ive never seen so many up close before in any LM river. Lets hope this bodes well for the future.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 10:21:02 PM by bobby b »

bobby b

« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2018, 10:19:36 PM »

Oh... just so ya know ... considering where I saw the group I am sure they have made it past Cable by now ... just putting it out there. I hope I don't cause an avalanche of people hoping to get into one. There are plenty of Springs and Coho in the river right now to keep ya's happy.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2018, 10:38:59 PM »

Ah...if you only had one.

Your response tells me that your knowledge of Serbian language is rather poor. Google Translate will only give you a literal translation, not the true meaning of a colloquial phrase, especially when you use Google to translate from a synthetic to an analytic language or vice-versa.
What I wrote means "I don't understand". :P

It also reveals that you have no sense of humour and inadequate language skills to enter into linguistic and other debates with me, so I wont be replying to your inane comments anymore.
Please find another victim to exercise your outdated and veiled Anglo-Saxon chauvinism. In me, you picked the wrong Slav because I was born in London, UK, and I was schooled in Queen's English. I am a Certified Translator for Serbian and Croatian so no, nothing was lost in translation, Dennis, it was lost in your head.

Oh, man, sometimes I wish I had a brain like yours to get some rest.  ::)

Back to regular programming and my apologies for the digression...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #103 on: September 26, 2018, 06:15:29 AM »

makes me wonder exactly how lifting the bait ban on the Cap make all those rippers, flossers and snaggers magically disappear? The Vedder never had a bait ban and has always been loaded with same during fall salmon season. A lot of those types simply won't pay the ridiculous $ to buy roe
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

mikeyman

« Reply #104 on: September 26, 2018, 08:46:21 AM »

Roe is getting up there in price. But find a supplier buy enough for a season cure it freeze it. Couple 100 bucks tops isnt very much money if river fishing. Go buy a boat and see how far 200 bucks goes. Not far at all.