Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River Sportfishing Alliance public meeting, May 30th 2018  (Read 10603 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Fraser River SportFishing Alliance Public Meeting
7:00pm, Wednesday May 30th, 2018 (door opens at 6:30pm)

FB event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/2530572923834863/

The Fraser River Sportfishing Alliance invites the public to share the concerns regarding the state of our precious fisheries. Our valued Canadian heritage and the future is in critical danger and could be lost forever.

It is time to act now, to save the tremendous social, cultural and economic values of our fisheries by working together in prioritizing the steps needed to save our fish and fishing opportunities for all British Columbians.

We look forward to see you there.

FRSA Board

Robert_G

Re: Fraser River Sportfishing Alliance public meeting, May 30th 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 02:30:49 PM »

I really wish I could say something positive about this.....
But this horse has been dead for years......why do we still beat it?

When they close the ENTIRE skeena watershed to recreational salmon fishing in an area of less than 50k people.....what kind of pipe dream says we'll ever have any sort of reliable yearly fishery on the Fraser in an area of over 2 million people? The natives have claimed the scraps....are we looking for the scraps of the scraps.....is there even such thing as scraps of scraps?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 03:07:44 PM »

Robert_G I couldent of said it any better.

Like Rod said last Summer when pinks were closed go fish a lake and give up on fishing the Fraser River. 

"The tune hasn't changed one bit. My point is still the same, expect to see less and less recreational fishing opportunities in the Lower Mainland in the years to come so people need to start exploring other opportunities in this province. We are losing opportunities due to stock decline, but for the most part the management approach has changed and recreational fishing sector is not in the managers' best interest."
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 03:20:29 PM by wildmanyeah »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 03:19:58 PM »

lol... So your choice is to put your hands up and forget about it? That's ok, but don't discourage others who choose to do otherwise.

Guys like Chris Gadsden, Rod Clapton, Fred Helmer, etc (the list goes on, too many to list out, but you know who you are...) are the ones who keep coming up with ideas and suggestions on how we can improve the state of our fisheries and relationship with other user groups. You may not agree with all of their views and approaches, their ideas may have failed to provide more fishing opportunities, but they are still doing it and you must have respect for that. Maybe they're all taking the wrong approaches because there are no fresh ideas, but the lack of involvement by those in the 20 to 30 year old group is not helping. Everyone wants to point fingers at others and complains about how poorly the fisheries are being managed, yet no one wants to be proactive about creating opportunities and saving resources.

This public meeting is not about telling you what this organization wants to do. it is more about inviting you, the user, so you have the opportunities to provide your thoughts and fresh ideas. Maybe it won't change a thing, but maybe it will. You won't know unless you show up.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 04:36:27 PM »

With all due respect Rod and I applaud the people who fight for us. But I too IMO believe our concerns fall on deaf ears. it is a sad state of affairs when the sports sector whom brings in millions of dollars to our economy each yr continually gets the short end of the stick.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 05:47:49 PM »

I hope there is a good turn-out of people.
Its all we really have and probably wont change a whole lot but you never know.
If nobody says anything for us sporties then there will be a dam on the Fraser before you know it.
I have pretty much given up on fishing the Fraser for Salmon but its not only the Fraser that needs our support.
Lets try and do our best to attend this meeting and show that we do care and we do want our slice of the pie too.
If anyone is going from maple Ridge area and wants a co-pilot i could sure use a ride .
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 05:49:40 PM by firstlight »

avid angler

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 09:25:19 PM »

Robert_G I couldent of said it any better.

Like Rod said last Summer when pinks were closed go fish a lake and give up on fishing the Fraser River. 

"The tune hasn't changed one bit. My point is still the same, expect to see less and less recreational fishing opportunities in the Lower Mainland in the years to come so people need to start exploring other opportunities in this province. We are losing opportunities due to stock decline, but for the most part the management approach has changed and recreational fishing sector is not in the managers' best interest."

You need to stop commenting when you don’t know anything about the fishery being discussed. You do it on multiple boards. Give it up.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 09:27:28 PM »

But I too IMO believe our concerns fall on deaf ears.

So what now, everyone sits back and does nothing? lol... Recreational anglers in BC are the most unorganized user group I've worked in. Everyone either wants to do their own thing, or doesn't want to be involved in anything yet chooses to complain.

Keep pointing out what can be done and what is being done is not how you'd do it on the forum is great for my website traffic stats, but it does nothing to the community. Show up on May 30th if you think you have some fresh ideas to contribute. Who knows, maybe you'll learn something, maybe you can actually help.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 08:49:05 AM »

It's so much easier to complain than to participate.

Perhaps...
And this is just an idea...
But maybe If everyone who wanted a fishing licence had to attend a meeting of the like to get one?

Throw a competency test in there.

This would limit the number of anglers,  free up more fishable areas, fines for those without a licence would surely provide the extra funds for additional CO and DFO officers truly needed.

Shinny

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 10:19:25 AM »

Perhaps...
But maybe If everyone who wanted a fishing licence had to attend a meeting of the like to get one?

This would limit the number of anglers,  free up more fishable areas, fines for those without a licence would surely provide the extra funds for additional CO and DFO officers truly needed.

::)

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 11:07:53 AM »

At least this shows the managers of the resources that there is still keen interest from the sportfishing community (or at least some subset of it), and that there is significant economic and community benefit in having accessible fisheries.

Sportfishers may be the lowest on the totem pole but they are still stakeholders that should have some input and be heard.

If the DFO issued closures or reduced allocations and no one ever said a word, then what would they reasonably conclude? Probably that it wasnt a popular fishery or did not impact too many people, nobody cared, and their decision was the right one. I think groups like this keep the interests of sportfishers in the mind of the managers.

Some of the past emails and correspondences with the DFO posted on this site seem to show that they do listen and at least make an effort to respond. They may not make decisions that please the community, but it would seem naive to hope they would proactively keep the interests of sportfishers in mind without some sort of advocacy.

Robert_G

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 12:21:23 PM »

seem to show that they do listen and at least make an effort to respond. They may not make decisions that please the community,

Strange....some people just never learn the art of recgonizing lip service when it is right in front of them.

GordJ

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 04:05:26 PM »

Perhaps...

This is a perfect post.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the topic, it addresses some problem that is not explained and finishes up with a solution that borders on the absurd with hints of hallucinogenic drug use.
Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 09:07:05 AM »

Here is some background on the FRSA I filmed a while ago for those that may not seen it. https://youtu.be/j_lhp3ogN0A

As Rod said in the first post on this thread we need more younger people to get involved as a number of us older ones do not have the energy anymore, I know I donot at nearly 75.

At least try to attend the meeting and listen and hopefully give your support, they are working for your future fishing opportunities.

cdjk123

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 01:58:45 PM »

While I respect the work that they do, I was extremely unimpressed at the "protest fishery" they staged. It was childish and in poor taste.
As a 27 year old, I fall into the 20-30 category that was mentioned above as being "needed". However, I cannot align myself with an organization with poor judgement.