Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River Sportfishing Alliance public meeting, May 30th 2018  (Read 10606 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Fraser River Sportfishing Alliance public meeting, May 30th 2018
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 03:38:17 PM »

While I respect the work that they do, I was extremely unimpressed at the "protest fishery" they staged. It was childish and in poor taste.
As a 27 year old, I fall into the 20-30 category that was mentioned above as being "needed". However, I cannot align myself with an organization with poor judgement.
Thanks for your thoughts but what would you suggest should be done?

cdjk123

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 06:35:30 PM »

To make my position clear, I am concerned with the DFO's mismanagement of salmon and steelhead stocks, and I believe they are a major factor in the problems we face today. However...

We should be providing continued pressure via legal means (letters, meeting with MPs, MLAs, media attention, protests that don't break laws, etc.). My concern was the message it was sending to "occasional" anglers, and those who don't follow fishing news too often. The protest fishery sent a message to BC anglers saying that if you don't like the law, you don't have to follow it. Even worse, it was sanctioned and lead in part by Fred's Tackle. Fred's regularly deals with occasional anglers all the time, and was encouraging everyone to participate. To me, that is a poor use of a position of influence. Anglers who care about fish stocks, regulation, and laws should do everything in their power to promote compliance, not defiance.

Rules can be changed without breaking them. Remember that we're not fighting for civil rights, or women's suffrage here (ie, things worth breaking laws over). We're fighting for recreational fishing opportunities-hardly something worth staging a public show of defiance over.

avid angler

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2018, 08:07:42 PM »

Technically no rules were broken. Just a bunch of fisherman using single barbless hooks not retaining any fish.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2018, 08:10:42 PM »

To make my position clear, I am concerned with the DFO's mismanagement of salmon and steelhead stocks, and I believe they are a major factor in the problems we face today. However...

We should be providing continued pressure via legal means (letters, meeting with MPs, MLAs, media attention, protests that don't break laws, etc.). My concern was the message it was sending to "occasional" anglers, and those who don't follow fishing news too often. The protest fishery sent a message to BC anglers saying that if you don't like the law, you don't have to follow it. Even worse, it was sanctioned and lead in part by Fred's Tackle. Fred's regularly deals with occasional anglers all the time, and was encouraging everyone to participate. To me, that is a poor use of a position of influence. Anglers who care about fish stocks, regulation, and laws should do everything in their power to promote compliance, not defiance.

Rules can be changed without breaking them. Remember that we're not fighting for civil rights, or women's suffrage here (ie, things worth breaking laws over). We're fighting for recreational fishing opportunities-hardly something worth staging a public show of defiance over.
I hope you will be able to attend the meeting and share your thoughts with those in attendance. Maybe you can gather other people together and pursue what you suggest should be done. I know we need people with a lot of good ideas and energy that I donot have any more  being a couple of months away from 75..

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2018, 07:37:14 AM »

It has absolutely nothing to do with the topic,

Actually it does.
It addresses the keyboard apathy so many have
and your post is even less on topic.
However if you're practicing for your radio licence that was good so Foxtrot Unicorn Tango to you as well.
it addresses some problem that is not explained and finishes up with a solution that borders on the absurd with hints of hallucinogenic drug use.
Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot.
Perhaps I should have prefaced my words with the word SARCASM
Hotel alpha November delta  ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2018, 09:47:44 AM »

Please don't forget that the town hall meeting is happening tonight. Doors open at 6:30pm. I see lots of opinions being provided in a couple other threads so it'll be great to see the same participants attending so you can voice those concerns tonight.

Robert_G

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2018, 12:21:12 PM »

So what is the big plan to get us out salmon fishing now that the meeting is done?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2018, 01:00:42 PM »

So what is the big plan to get us out salmon fishing now that the meeting is done?

If you cared you should've went you dont get to have your cake and eat it.

Tylsie

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2018, 03:12:12 PM »

If you cared you should've went you dont get to have your cake and eat it.

That is not really fair. I certainly care but I already had a meeting with another organization that I was committed to before I heard about this meeting. Others I know had to work or don't get home until after 6 and then making a drive to Chilliwack by 7 is not practical.

I would truly like to know where I can find what was discussed or any ideas that were put forward. Will the information be available here or on the Fraser River Sportfishing Alliance Facebook page?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2018, 04:32:24 PM »

That is not really fair. I certainly care but I already had a meeting with another organization that I was committed to before I heard about this meeting. Others I know had to work or don't get home until after 6 and then making a drive to Chilliwack by 7 is not practical.

I would truly like to know where I can find what was discussed or any ideas that were put forward. Will the information be available here or on the Fraser River Sportfishing Alliance Facebook page?

That's right Tylsie, not everyone could have made it that evening as we all have family and work obligations. I will be publishing the video of the powerpoint presentation from that night which summarizes what the FRSA hopes to accomplish in the long run. The video should be available in the next couple of days.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2018, 04:49:30 PM »

That's right Tylsie, not everyone could have made it that evening as we all have family and work obligations. I will be publishing the video of the powerpoint presentation from that night which summarizes what the FRSA hopes to accomplish in the long run. The video should be available in the next couple of days.

My comment was aimed at Robert who earlier on this thread was discouraging people by saying nothing ever comes out of these meetings that get sports fishermen more opportunity.

Not at the people that wanted to go but could not make it.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2018, 05:02:46 PM »

My comment was aimed at Robert who earlier on this thread was discouraging people by saying nothing ever comes out of these meetings that get sports fishermen more opportunity.

Not at the people that wanted to go but could not make it.

I wasn't replying to you.

Robert_G

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2018, 06:09:27 PM »

discouraging people by saying nothing ever comes out of these meetings that get sports fishermen more opportunity.

What I was saying are actual facts. I've been watching this sportsfishing alliance since the 90s when it began. I even participated in it for the first few years...and nothing from it has ever benefited us...at least nothing worth mentioning.....and in the last 10 years??? Absolutely 0 has happened that befefits us. All we get is lip service....I'm just thankful I stopped wasting my time soon after it began....Its painful to see people wasting their time on something that is never going to happen. It's like watching a dog jumping at a treat hanging from a rope that is 3 inches higher than its maximum jumping ability.

You may ask....why do I post in these threads then? The answer is simple...Fraser river fishing used to be a huge part of my life(one of my greatest pleasures...actually)....something that got me excited all the time....and now its gone. So when I see these guys with their faint hope....it keeps bringing back the pain of what is lost and what I KNOW WILL remain lost to me forever. It's like someone trying to dig up my grandfathers grave twice a year and giving him CPR....Its dead....and its not coming back to life...no matter how much CPR you give it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 06:14:11 PM by Robert_G »

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2018, 07:06:00 PM »

Sorry I couldn't make the meeting. Was to busy fishing catching trouts up country. Soon the only fishery we will have left. Did the meeting change anything?