Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Brood Capture Update.  (Read 13839 times)

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
Re: 2018 Brood Capture Update.
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2018, 06:00:30 AM »

Hey guys can we get an update for the sky is falling crowd. I'm guessing brood capture goals are reached, disaster averted and we are not needing to cull the brood stockers yet.

Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

stsfisher

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2018, 07:14:52 AM »

Hey guys can we get an update for the sky is falling crowd. I'm guessing brood capture goals are reached, disaster averted and we are not needing to cull the brood stockers yet.

:) 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2018, 07:49:30 AM »

Last I heard they needed around 5 bucks but that was from a report last week.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2018, 11:08:12 AM »

Judging by the 1-3 hero picks posted daily between Feb 24 to March 24 Fraser Valley Fishing Addicts Facebook page that the run was pretty strong or the fishermen were really good.

Cheddar steelhead at this point are probably one of the strongest runs of steelhead in the provence. Given its proximity to a major city that's incredible.  I hope the powers at be out their study what makes this system so productive.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2018, 12:41:30 PM »

Rod, I wish I was as optimistic as you about the future of wild Vedder steelhead. As you are a fishing guide who has a financial interest in steelhead numbers I can understand your position on this.

Indeed it appears broodstock numbers have been reached, as we all predicted, but what price was paid to early run fish?  We still have no clue as to what percent of the wild population was removed, and to my way of thinking, that not knowing is poor management.  The silver lining of course is that the river was in poor fishing shape for much of December and January, so if there were any early fish they may have got through.

This is obviously a contentious issue and we all have opinions. By early June, buck and I will have completed our 8th year of spot counts at 3 known spawning areas – I will wait and see how those numbers compare to past years before I comment much further on this.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 04:10:58 PM by Dave »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2018, 12:56:12 PM »

Judging by the 1-3 hero picks posted daily between Feb 24 to March 24 Fraser Valley Fishing Addicts Facebook page that the run was pretty strong or the fishermen were really good.

Cheddar steelhead at this point are probably one of the strongest runs of steelhead in the provence. Given its proximity to a major city that's incredible.  I hope the powers at be out their study what makes this system so productive.
I can think of several reasons Vedder steelhead are still here ... 1) these fish are not subject to interception fisheries and 2) the upper reaches are closed to angling, which creates a stress free staging/spawning area and 3) the river is often unfishable due to high/turbid water, allowing safe passage through the gauntlet of anglers. 
Could be made better though ... a closure to angling from March 15 above Tamihi Creek would do wonders to protect spawners.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2018, 02:11:17 PM »

No need to replace the old guys with the young guys yet? 😬
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 02:15:23 PM by Wiseguy »

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2018, 03:47:50 PM »

I can think of several reasons Vedder steelhead are still here ... 1) these fish are not subject to interception fisheries and 2) the upper reaches are closed to angling, which creates a stress free staging/spawning area and 3) the river is often unfishable due to high/turbid water, allowing safe passage through the gauntlet of anglers. 
Could be made better though ... a closure to angling from March 15 above Tamihi Creek would do wonders to protect spawners.

Close above Tamihi Creek is good idea. I always wonder fishing upper river or lower section. Once it is closed, there is no hesitate stress anymore.

Also, I would like a bait ban for steelhead season. It may help to stop Chum be netted for eggs.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 03:50:39 PM by psd1179 »

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2018, 05:38:31 PM »

^^^^^ and stop the rape an pillage for egg export

avid angler

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2018, 11:44:32 PM »

I 100% agree with this

avid angler

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2018, 11:50:44 PM »

That is not an indication of run strength. The good fisherman caught fish as usual but this year is a grind to say the least.
Close above Tamihi Creek is good idea. I always wonder fishing upper river or lower section. Once it is closed, there is no hesitate stress anymore.

Also, I would like a bait ban for steelhead season. It may help to stop Chum be netted for eggs.

Uneducated post. Most of the returning lower mainland chum are heavily hatchery augmented. The sport fishery has little to no impact. The commercial and fn mainstem Fraser fishery though is another story... and their customers are over seas not bait fisherman.

avid angler

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2018, 11:51:29 PM »

No need to replace the old guys with the young guys yet? 😬
most of the fish were taken above the boundary this year so the usual brood guys did not come through.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2018, 10:24:36 AM »

most of the fish were taken above the boundary this year so the usual brood guys did not come through.
I thought it was only the old broodstock guys fishing above the boundary? One would think with all the high water for the first half of the season allowing the fish to get upriver quickly and fishing undisturbed water it would be pretty easy to catch broodstock in the closed section of the river.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2018, 10:29:23 AM »

I would like a bait ban for steelhead season.
Explain why a bait ban is needed?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2018, 10:57:56 AM »

I thought it was only the old broodstock guys fishing above the boundary? One would think with all the high water for the first half of the season allowing the fish to get upriver quickly and fishing undisturbed water it would be pretty easy to catch broodstock in the closed section of the river.
The only fishing for broodstock above the boundary is by hatchery staff. I have angled for broodstock in the closed area, many years ago, and yeah it was easy fishing.  Pretty much like any steelheading when there are lots of fish.