Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Brood Capture Update.  (Read 13851 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
2018 Brood Capture Update.
« on: January 18, 2018, 09:15:58 AM »

4 of the required 70 wild steelhead now tubed and delivered to the hatchery

joshhowat

Re: 2018 Brood Capture Update.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 02:08:54 PM »

Thanks for update Chris.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 06:14:48 AM »

please tell the capture boys not to use the 4-6 pounders we are seeing this year, should be a 30" minimum of wild brood fish.
Just look at the Quinnalt River in Washington, they use only larger fish for brood stock and long term it produces larger fish.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

firebird

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 08:41:14 AM »

It is also a good idea to leave the largest wild fish in the river to do their thing so the large size genes remain in the wild.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 09:34:07 AM »

It is also a good idea to leave the largest wild fish in the river to do their thing so the large size genes remain in the wild.
Might be a better idea to leave all the wild fish alone to do their thing ... ::)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 09:39:05 AM »

Might be a better idea to leave all the wild fish alone to do their thing ... ::)

so no more hatchery plants in the V-C or move to sterilized fish sourced from another system as they do for interior stillwater?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 10:33:16 AM »

Might be a better idea to leave all the wild fish alone to do their thing ...

This is something I have thought about recently. I am not suggesting what should be done either way as I am far from as educated or as informed as the biologists who's jobs it is working in this field, but it is something I have wondered.

Earlier this year I listened to an informative and interesting talk on the diversity of steelhead and how that differentiates them from other salmonoids and what that means in their life histories. The rolls of the diverse age classes and sizes combining to create combinations of potential life histories was quite interesting and was notably reduced along with fitness levels in hatchery offspring even from wild brood stock scenarios.

So right now 70 wild steelhead are pulled from the population. What percentage of the remaining wild run does this 70 fish represent? When was the last time a proper run size assessment was preformed on the Chilliwack/Vedder? Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it has been a long time. I hear anecdotal estimates thrown around but am curious to see actual numbers from a recent study, and am curious what percentage of the wild run are removed to create fish with reduced fitness levels with less genetic life history combinations.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 11:22:07 AM »

i'm confused are you saying there is actually wild steelhead (different genes) in the V/C ? I would of thought they would of been inbred brother/sister by now like all the other enhanced systems.

mikeyman

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 01:09:08 PM »

I always heard the numbers fluctuate year to year around 5000 to 10000 steelhead return. The percentage of wild to hatch. Even at 50 50 split. 70 fish out of 2500 is a small percentage of the wild return. I could be way off. It would be cool if somebody in the know would give thier bit.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 01:10:59 PM by mikeyman »

firebird

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 01:57:53 PM »

No argument from here.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 02:18:55 PM »

Yup and then it will look exactly like the Squamish, extremely poor. 70 fish is nothing for the Vedder even if there are only 1000 wild fish it is still only 15% of the population. I would bet that you get more mortality on this stream from all of the catch and release encounters over the season. Be glad that there is a healthy fishery on this system as it is basically the only consistent steelhead fishery left in the lwr. mainland. Lets not forget that there are 2.5 million people living within 2 hours of this stream and population is projected to double in the next 20 years. The dream that if you have only wild fish will allow this stream to return to it's former glory are totally unrealistic. Just look at the Thompson and Chilcoltin. No enhancement, no fish. There are just too many demands on these populations and society just do's not want to make any significant sacrifices to their lifestyles to allow these populations to recover if that is even possible.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 03:47:15 PM »

With all the wild systems seemingly going down the drain with their runs, perhaps it is time to stop blaming the hatcheries and their fish are causing harm. Perhaps whatever bad things in the ocean (such as the increased predation by the warm water species of Tuna & Mackerel brought up by the 'blob' and the poor nutrients in the warmer open ocean to support plankton, krill, anchovie, needle fish and herring), and the bad things that humans have done (such as all the netting, herring roe fisheries,, habitat destruction, pollution from environment & now nuclear plant etc.), it is time to realize that the mere wild fish population really can't sustain themselves anymore from such high rate of mortality. Perhaps in the past it will take 100 young fry to return 1 adult, and now it will take 300 to get 1 return. Of course I am using the numbers figuratively. But it reflects that something unfavourable is happening that unless we enhance the weakening systems, they will go down the drain in due time.

From another angle looking at it in an extreme way, if we cut off all hatchery enhancement, and that only the much smaller number of wild fry are making down the river and trying to make it to the ocean, do you think they have a much better chance to make it pass all the hungry predators, the pikeminnows, the mackeral & tuna plus the parasite attacks from the fish farms? Will they have better chance? I don't know but it seems logical to project that these hungry stomachs of the predators will find their fill from these wild stocks in the absence of the abundant hatchery fry, and that will be a disaster if it isn't a disaster already in the wild systems.

buck

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 06:38:03 PM »

Well said BKK.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 07:05:52 PM »

Nonsense - Squamish, Thompson & V/C  are apples and oranges  comparisons.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 08:10:51 PM »

year to year around 5000 to 10000 steelhead return? I doubt.

Say in 20km fishable water along vedder, if there were 5000 steelhead, it means 25 fish every 100 meters. Then we don't need to struggle at all.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 08:26:22 PM by psd1179 »