Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simms Rant  (Read 32654 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Simms Rant
« on: December 22, 2017, 09:03:58 AM »

After a surprisingly unfavorable experience with Simms I have decided I will feel better if I slag them off on this site.

So, roughly 1.5 years ago I decided to treat myself to a G3 Guide jacket. Before that I had a middle of the road Cabela's gortex jacket which now serves as my quading/hunting jacket. Fall 2016 and winter 2016/2017 no issues with the G3 jacket. Loved the big chest pockets and big zip pocket in the back. No complaints with the jacket and no regrets on dropping $600+ on it.

Then this fall I started to notice the velcro on both chest pockets was falling apart. More specifically, the "soft side" that is stitched to the top of each chest pocket. The "rough side" that is stitched to each flap was fine. I thought, meh, not really going to worry about it. Then one day soon after I noticed one of the little black patches that holds the inner magnet (there is one for each tool clip) had fallen off, along with the magnet. Upon closer inspection of the other patch I could see it was starting to peel off. Pretty clear that soon it too was going to fall off leaving me with two missing patches/magnets.

(if not already obvious the purpose of the magnets is to stick to your nippers/scissors and prevent them from flapping around. Clever idea).

So now I'm a bit cheesed that my relatively new - only washed once - $600 jacket is having issues. I consulted the staff where I bought it and they more or les said, yeah, there was a bit of a bad run of the G3s, those issues have be improved in subsequent models, if I were you I'd mail the jacket to Simms. They'll at least repair it with better materials, or give you a new jacket.

I emailed Simms and they said they could not commit to anything over email and to mail them the jacket. They did reassure me that defects in materials or workmanship are covered for the life of the jacket and unless it appeared that the damage was my fault (melted, dog chewed it, etc) they would repair or replace the item. I decided to chance it and mail the jacket to Simms (about $30 with tracking).

To say something good about this experience, Simms was great about keeping me in the loop regarding the jacket's status. Got an email when it arrived. Another a week or so later informing it was being "evaluated." Another email a week or so later telling me they were going to repair and not replace the jacket, and finally one last email telling me that the jacket had been mailed back to Canada. I received the jacket 2 days ago. In total I was without it for about a month.

Quick tangent: I know it's not Simms problem that my back up jacket sucks, but it really did suck wearing the old Cabela's jacket for the last month. The water repellant finish is gone and the jacket gets saturated and cold if rainy. I was a bit lighter when I bought it 10ish years ago and now take an XL. The L especially with layers on was constantly a bit too tight and uncomfortable. Not enough room in the chest pockets for the containers I typically carry, and no big zip pocket in the back, so I had to carry an extra small back pack for the last month which I find uncomfortable. But, I reasoned, it will be worth it when I get my jacket back with new velcro and magnets, or maybe I'll luck out and they'll replace it with a new G3 jacket (!)

So, it arrives in the mail a couple days ago. Happy dance! I opened it right away to inspect the repair work. WHAT - THE - F**K?!!?!? Instead of replacing the deteriorating "soft side" velcro on the chest pockets, they just sewed back and forth over it a bunch of times! They couldn't even be bothered to seam rip off the garbage velcro that was falling apart and sew some new better stuff on. I then inspected the two new black "patches" they glued/stuck on. You could see one was already starting to peel off a bit!!

After an initial blast of 4-letter words, I calmed down and decided that if the velcro frays apart again I'll just take it to a seamstress and have new velcro sewn on. Would probably only be 30 bucks or so. And if the magnets fall off again, well, I'll just have to live with it.

Too add further insult to injury last night I decided to wash the jacket. It was just a tad grimey when I mailed it to Simms, but I figured no point it washing it with (expensive) Nikwax Techwash if they might give me a new jacket. But now I have my jacket back and figured why not start the steelhead season off with a nice clean jacket? Plus I find a wash with the previously mentioned product revives the water repellant finish.

I followed the care label on the garment exactly. Warm wash (front load machine), synthetic cycle, dry 20 min low heat. When I pulled the jacket out of the washing machine both magnet patches had fallen off!! I stuck my head in the machine and found both patches and both magnets. I also noticed that the wash cycle had caused the mickey-mouse fixed velcro to fray apart significantly. It now looks more or less like it did before I mailed the jacket to Simms.

So, after paying $30 for shipping, a month without my jacket, a fair bit of my time corresponding with Simms, my jacket is essentially the same as before I mailed it off. Velcro is falling apart, patches and magnets have fallen off.

Yesterday I sent Simms a somewhat nasty email. Said more or less what I've said here. Attached pictures. Told them please do not even suggest that I mail you the jacket again. Told them I'll get the velcro fixed by a seamstress on my own dime. Told them I'll just live without the tool magnets. When I feel motivated I think I could very carefully apply a thin layer of Aquaseal to the underside of each patch and glue them in place. This would likely hold for good. Whatever adhesive the patches have on them from the factory is not much better than sticky tape. They will fall off. Maybe if you never washed the jacket, but that is totally unreasonable.

So there is my Simms rant. Awaiting a response via email. If they do not step up and make this right I will NEVER buy another high end Simms product. A hat or shirt sure, but surely not waders or jacket etc. I like Simms stuff a lot. I have G3 waders, Guide boots, numerous packs, hip bags, and so on. IMO part of the reason why you pay top buck for this stuff (much like a Sage rod) is if you have a warranty claim they treat you right and make it right. If this is the type of warranty service I can expect from Simms I will give Patagonia a shot next time around.

**Sorry I can't seem to attach pictures right now. Issues with photobucket. Will try again later, maybe the website is having issues? People still using photobucket to upload pics on this site?**

ShaunO

Re: Simms Rant
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 09:50:56 AM »

Your experience sounds like an exception rather than the rule to their customer service.  You've given Simms a chance to make it right, and I'd be interested how that turns out.  Please let us know!

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 10:57:14 AM »

Oh I will definitely post their response. I did not ask for anything. Left the ball in their court. Hoping my email falls on someone's desk/inbox a little higher up the food chain with Simms. I would have been happy with a decent repair job, but the sewing looks like a 5 year old did it, and the patches+magnets did not even survive one go through the wash! Definitely, no way, am I mailing the jacket back. I'd rather fix the velcro and magnets myself, which, in hindsight, I wish I had just done in the first place.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 11:10:43 AM »

Not sure if I got off better or worse.
The glued internal collar seam separated from the body of the jacket on my G4 jacket.
My jacket isn't dirty and has no wear spots or rips.
It clearly separated because it was never built to be hung from the hanging loop. I don't see how this could be anything other than a manufacturing defect.

Simms refused to repair it and offered me 40% off a new one.
I had them send it back and will glue it myself. As if I would buy another Simms product. They really don't want to be in the jacket business.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 02:10:45 PM »

Wow. No kidding hey?! :o
That is pretty brutal. "Top of the line" G4 jacket and they wouldn't warranty that?! Holy smokes.

I wonder if their warranty service had taken a nose dive? When I bought the G3 I was also looking at a similarly priced Patagonia jacket. Staff recommended Simms as if I had an issue with the jacket the Simms warranty is rock solid. Well, from my experience, not so much!

I just wish they could have been straight up with me. I would have been happy with an answer like "honestly we are just going to sew over that Velcro. And the magnets we will replace but they are prone to falling off, and we are not giving you a new jacket. For the cost of shipping it to the US, and factoring in the wait time of a month +/-, you might what to consider just getting both these fixed locally."

I'm not anticipating a great response from my email, but you never know.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 06:45:14 PM »

I have Simms Headwater waders and I like them a lot. But that's where my relationship with Simms ends. I'm very happy with my Frogg Toggs Pilot 2 guide jacket that cost a quarter of what you paid for your Simms G3. Make no mistake, Simms products are very good indeed, but in today's competitive market, they are significantly overpriced, IMO.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 06:59:59 PM »

That is some tough luck. I feel bad for you. I'm lucky my G4Z waders and G4 jacket are still in tip top shape. Maybe next time don't wash your jacket ? I'm not too sure if you're machine washing it or just wiping with a rag. Machines will destroy those jackets.

Jeff_

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 08:03:14 PM »

I feel like for a high end jacket, like the G3, it should be expected that the user will get it dirty with heavy use. My problem is that Simms says directly on their website to "machine wash warm" and "tumble dry on warm setting". I agree that wiping will probably help increase the longevity of the jacket but if that's the case then the manufacturer should specifically state that. It's pretty unreasonable for the manufacturer to expect the user to never wash their jackets especially given the environment we wear them in. Definitely interested in seeing the outcome of the situation.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 08:51:10 PM »

i have had my g3 jacket for at least 5 years. i have only washed it a handle full of times and have had zero issues. only complaint i have is my hands are to large for the cuffs and it is always a pain to get off but i have bear mitts.

Jk47

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 10:52:31 PM »

Hmmm. Well then while we’re on the topic I’m going tomorrow to pick up my new waders tomorrow and I can’t afford 700 bucks so I figured Simms Freestones would be a far superior wader than I’ve ever owned and comes in around budget. But I’ve heard Patagonia has better warranty. Plus I feel like they’re the under dog, and I like their “look” and the fact they’re not “Simms” like everyone else on the planet has. I WILL be trying a couple other pairs on in the morning before I decide, but any thoughts?

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 11:46:35 PM »

Been so long I can’t remember what year I bought my original guide jacket! Dam near bullet proof! I know it was a 3rd of the price what the new jackets are now. My jacket was made in the USA and not overseas. Me thinking that is the reason it has lasted so long! As a matter of fact, I know that’s the reason!

Happy Holidays Everyone, come to think of it Merry Christmas sounds better!!!!! And a Happy New Year!

8)
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Shinny

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 10:24:38 AM »

Hate to hear stories like this. Companies have “an amazing warrantee, no questions....” until it comes down to the nitty gritty.

I think once you reach a certain price point ($600++) that if a product fails within 3 years on poor workmanship as what happened to S.S then the product should be replaced with a new one.

Arcteryx replaced a 5 year old jacket because the pocket was leaking, They don’t do repairs, that’s what it should be. I know it’s not a fishing company but the cost of the jackets are in the same ballpark so why shouldn’t the warrantee be similar? Dealing with a local company might have played a roll...

Jk47

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 11:00:48 AM »

This concerns me. I am notoriously “hard on equipment” and just my luck would be to spend big money on Simms waders and then get pooched for warranty when the inevitable happens. Heading to Freds shortly today  to make a decision and I’m leaning more towards Patagonia as this post develops. Any more Simms horror stories and/or Patagonia testimonials would be appreciated... will check this post again before I buy in a couple hours.. cheers

Shinny

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 11:18:34 AM »

I don't think anyone is saying all Simms products are bad...SS is having a bad experience with his jacket AND warrantee procedure.

I have Simms freestones. This would be my third year with them. I am hard and careless with gear and they have been great, ive done alot of severe Bush wacking. No complaints. I would probably buy another pair once these are done. A friend had Patagonia boots and they were absolutely terrible.. Tearing the third time out... Uncomfortable.. Thats been my only experience with Patagonia in the fishing  world.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 01:34:29 PM »

This concerns me. I am notoriously “hard on equipment” and just my luck would be to spend big money on Simms waders and then get pooched for warranty when the inevitable happens. Heading to Freds shortly today  to make a decision and I’m leaning more towards Patagonia as this post develops. Any more Simms horror stories and/or Patagonia testimonials would be appreciated... will check this post again before I buy in a couple hours.. cheers

Hard to flog Simms waders. Except for maybe the price.