Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using center pin rod and reel  (Read 6559 times)

JustPuttsin

Using center pin rod and reel
« on: December 13, 2017, 04:42:44 PM »

I have been trying to adapt to pin fishing and not having a lot of luck. I purchased a John Milner kingfisher bushing reel and a Okuma SST 1062 10.6 rod with a line rating of 12-20# Medium action. I couldn't seem to get any decent distance and seemed to take a lot of effort to cast so I  purchased a Trophy Xl 10' TC5100C 8-15# line rating and still can not seem to get comfortable with this setup. I'm using 12# line with a 20 gram float weighted properly. I just love the way the reel spools out when drifting but sure is frustrating when I cannot get a consistant cast out of it. Ready to throw in the towel with this setup. Is it my line type or the rod? I'm open to any suggestions you guys and gals might have. :)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Using center pin rod and reel
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 05:03:39 PM »

there are a number of videos on Youtube. Just search "Introduction to Centrepin casting". Check them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNAUHV1qAk8

you will notice with this demo of the BC swing - the demonstrator gets the reel to spin before making the actual cast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy6CmKrQn64

3 methods demo'd here.

Bent Rod's: demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVVQ3Xyh8YI
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 05:07:55 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Jk47

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 05:40:11 PM »

The way this smooth cowboy describes the B.C. Swing cast is the best tutorial I’ve seen, and forget about any other trick casts involving your other hand. Save that hand for reeling for now.
https://youtu.be/zNAUHV1qAk8

Jk47

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 05:42:41 PM »

Oops sorry just realized Ralph already posted this video  ;D Oh well watch again for fun

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 05:55:51 PM »

You could try going up to 20# mono. The stiffer line helps with casting.
Lots of other variables.
Are you using enough weight?
Is the reel brand new?
How much end play does the reel have? There should be just the slightest bit almost not noticeable amount. It’s a very fine adjustment. If the reel is new then it’s probably set right.
Did you over oil the bushing? Excess oil will actually slow the reel down when casting like a hydraulic effect.
If it’s brand new maybe you just need to break it in.

bobby b

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 06:08:37 PM »

Maybe go with a bit bigger float and a bit more weight... say a 30g float setup. The extra weight will aid in your ability to feel the rod load, and when to let the reel spin on a 'bc swing' cast. Should be easier to cast .... esp if you are new to CP.

It helped me starting out.

hammer

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 06:46:27 PM »

Rig it with a foam float and two and half inches of pencil lead ...No hook. Go to a park and practice by letting the reel free spool behind you for a second and do a smooth side arm cast. Once you have that ..cut down the weight and try other casts...first get the sense of a smooth stroke and that the reel should be spinning....if it does not cast with that weight....try loosening the tension on the pin ever so slightly

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 08:03:50 PM »

like others have stated extra weight is key. also bushings will improve as they wear.

mikeyman

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 08:10:33 PM »

Takes some time to get good...start with short casts and control. I hold my pinky to the spool start letting the spool wind out while starting my back swing on longer casts. My one hand on the front cork controlling the spool. The transision to the swing foreward using the whip by now the spool is a spinnin. Sometimes using the other hand to give it more power on the bottom cork. But for the most part steelheading...if gridding out the water u arent casting to the other side till it is time to. Keep at it. Eventually u can hit targets. The drift is great. The fight is great. The long retreaves between casts can get tiring.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 10:41:55 PM »

$120 for the rod and reel!

J/K, some good advice here.  Know anyone else with a CP?  Trying fishing with them and see how they like/cast your rod and also mimic what they do.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 07:53:33 AM »

Lots of the videos on CP casting are for east coast/UK. ie tiny streams and tribs where the gear is tiny and casting distance is small (compared to vedder).

So as someone mentioned focus on the "BC cast".  also, you should be using more weight than needed when learning to CP cast.  So i'd echo the advice to size up the float.  I rarely fish less than a 28gram float and usually its 30-35. 

Are you having issues with distance or over run/backlashes?  Bottom line, more weight will allow for great distance and more weight will allow for more aggressive casts and "checking" of the spool (reducing backlash) until such time as you master the finesse of the cast and light/gentle checking.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 07:58:14 AM »

when I was starting out on the pin I found it much easier to use a heavier weight and float set-up, 30-35 grams and you will be casting it across the river.

JustPuttsin

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 08:22:06 AM »

Thanks everyone for the replies! I think I have nearly worn out the you tube link with the bc swing cast or must be getting really close! That's the cast I have been using and its getting me out and I know I need to fine tune it a lot more. The reel I am using is pretty much brand new as I have only had it out half dozen time's. In regard's to Noahs Arc post..my reel does have a bit of end play. If I take the spool and pull it away from the backing plate it moves with an audible click. May need to take the reel back to freds and see if that's an allowable amount of free play. Might be where my problem lies. As for over oiling that's not an issue here as I always wipe it dry when I get home as well if I have been out in the rain.
Again...thanks for all the replies everyone. Its always good to have someone else's idea's as food for thought!
Tight Lines!!

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 08:30:24 AM »

Bigger float and more lead.
Or ask someone on the river to help you.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 10:15:53 AM »

both of my kingfishers have end play. i would consider that normal. bushing reels are like bottles of scotch, better with age.