Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using center pin rod and reel  (Read 6548 times)

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: Using center pin rod and reel
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 10:32:50 AM »

both of my kingfishers have end play. i would consider that normal. bushing reels are like bottles of scotch, better with age.

Very true, they need to be broken in and all will have some wiggle by design. If the constant chattering bothers you then a high end bearing reel will have no play and tight tolerances.

edit: to clarify, Milners should cast just fine out of the box, but will get smoother as they get broken in. Any casting issues the OP is having is should be resolvable with some combination of technique and/or weighting as others have suggested.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 11:03:26 AM by DanL »

Dragnet

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 04:25:59 PM »

There is a bit of a trick to the casting.  First it is a sweeping cast as a opposed to the level wind.  Second you must let the reel start spinning when you are about to throw your line.  Yes that means it's starting to unreel behind you just as you are casting the line so as to let the rod load.  The distance comes with the loading of the rod. Practice and once you get the feel it is a fun way of fishing.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 06:35:29 PM »

both of my kingfishers have end play. i would consider that normal. bushing reels are like bottles of scotch, better with age.

Absolutely. I thought maybe the grub screw was set a little too tight. As im sure you know, an 1/8 of a turn can make a big difference in how the reel spins.

JustPuttsin

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2017, 08:26:50 AM »

I picked up a 25 gram float yesterday and will give that a try. Took everything apart and cleaned and put just a little bit of gun oil on the spindle. On my desk it seems to spin forever so I think the problem lies with the fisherman in this case. That being said I will get my tail out there again with a little more weight etc and I'm sure it will work. Still love the drift when I get it where I want it.Thanks Again for the replys!!