Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack Steelhead conditions  (Read 131425 times)

bobby b

Re: Chilliwack Steelhead conditions
« Reply #240 on: February 12, 2018, 09:17:22 PM »

Today a bud and I started out at Lickman.... as has been said..wind was Brutal Cold !!  :o

On arriving back at the parking lot ..the guy parked beside me tells me he's had his door lock punched in, and the truck next to his had the door locks punched in too.... Really shitty start to their day ....

Pretty bold considering there was quite a number of fishers in the immediate vicinity. I fricken hate thieves

Left that sketch...

Went to a couple other spots .... at one of 'em ...I got a good yank ....oh well t'was a good tug while it lasted.  Shortly after...elsewhere on the river ...walked in to a spot and one dude there has a fish on..lands a nice wild doe ... 10-12lb ish..   Stayed and fished for a while there.. and then my buddy also lands a similar sized wild doe.  Both beautiful chrome fish.

All in all a good day out....once it warmed up anyways. Thankful to to get a tug  :o and at least see a couple of nice fish.  8)

... Cheers

HA.... oh yeah..  River water conditions!! Over all vis was kinda poor...
prob a foot or less in the lower ...prob a foot or so mid river ... still bit chalky up top

Just a tad bit high and fast too.. I'm off this week so i'll make the best of it I'm hoping for just a bit of a drop and a just bit of clearing... and a FISH ON !!  ;)

Jk47

« Reply #241 on: February 13, 2018, 07:10:06 AM »

I, also, saw a few fish taken over the weekend. In fact, twice this weekend I had fish pulled right out from under my nose - once from a low-hole and the other behind me after I fished the run several times through to no avail!
Kinda scared myself yesterday; you know the run above the crossing you have to walk into from the first parking lots on Chilliwack lake road?  No one has been able to get over ther for a couple weeks since the high water. Well, yesterday morning I found a spot in the side channel I was able to cross. Had that whole section to myself all day long and fished it hard. Well by the time I found my way back to the spot I had crossed, the water was flowing much faster through there, and after a couple attempts with a staff I picked up nearby, I started panicking a bit. Anyways, I found a log that stretched across the width of the channel and was able to scurry across it (clinging for dear life, with my rod stuffed into my waders and dangerously close to falling into the angry, churning torrent beneath me).
Alls well that ends well but be careful out there dudes

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #242 on: February 13, 2018, 08:44:22 AM »

Already are.
Need any more volunteers? I have lots of free time on my hands.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #243 on: February 13, 2018, 08:46:39 AM »

I, also, saw a few fish taken over the weekend. In fact, twice this weekend I had fish pulled right out from under my nose - once from a low-hole and the other behind me after I fished the run several times through to no avail!
Kinda scared myself yesterday; you know the run above the crossing you have to walk into from the first parking lots on Chilliwack lake road?  No one has been able to get over ther for a couple weeks since the high water. Well, yesterday morning I found a spot in the side channel I was able to cross. Had that whole section to myself all day long and fished it hard. Well by the time I found my way back to the spot I had crossed, the water was flowing much faster through there, and after a couple attempts with a staff I picked up nearby, I started panicking a bit. Anyways, I found a log that stretched across the width of the channel and was able to scurry across it (clinging for dear life, with my rod stuffed into my waders and dangerously close to falling into the angry, churning torrent beneath me).
You stayed there all day long?

Jk47

« Reply #244 on: February 13, 2018, 09:46:50 AM »

3 Hours tops. I had the place to myself and it was a holiday and super fishy so I went through a hundred more times than I probably should have.

avid angler

« Reply #245 on: February 13, 2018, 12:00:16 PM »

hate to break it to you but made it over that channel Friday

avid angler

« Reply #246 on: February 13, 2018, 12:03:24 PM »

Need any more volunteers? I have lots of free time on my hands.
they don’t need any more volunteers that don’t catch fish

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #247 on: February 13, 2018, 12:15:31 PM »

Are you carrying a tube aa?

Jk47

« Reply #248 on: February 13, 2018, 12:58:54 PM »

hate to break it to you but made it over that channel Friday
Interesting.... the entire beach was void of footprints. Not saying you’re a liar lol just sayin I thought I was the first there for weeks and I was convinced I was going to pull a fish out  ::)

avid angler

« Reply #249 on: February 13, 2018, 01:06:03 PM »

Are you carrying a tube aa?
I volunteered and was brushed off and was told they have enough people on the chilliwack/vedder. There is a half dozen guys in there 20s who are shift workers/seasonal workers (sturg guides) who are out 5-7 days week putting fish to the beach damn near every trip, these guys have been into double digits for a while now. If you don’t want fish being taken for brood above the boundary you need to put the tubes in the hands of guys who are out there and put their money where their mouth is.

avid angler

« Reply #250 on: February 13, 2018, 01:08:34 PM »

Interesting.... the entire beach was void of footprints. Not saying you’re a liar lol just sayin I thought I was the first there for weeks and I was convinced I was going to pull a fish out  ::)
I thought the same but it was empty Friday... that area does get hit daily by guys in water masters though...

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #251 on: February 13, 2018, 05:03:43 PM »

Lol! Landed a beauty Chrome 8 pd wild doe on Friday. Lol.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #252 on: February 13, 2018, 05:04:43 PM »

I thought the same but it was empty Friday... that area does get hit daily by guys in water masters though...
Fish were in there, you just couldn't hook them.

avid angler

« Reply #253 on: February 13, 2018, 05:06:25 PM »

Lol! Landed a beauty Chrome 8 pd wild doe on Friday. Lol.
congratulations on your first steelhead of the year. Your aware it’s february right?

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #254 on: February 13, 2018, 05:41:26 PM »

congratulations on your first steelhead of the year. Your aware it’s february right?
Caught where u couldnt catch one! Lol. No tube for you! Lol.