Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack Steelhead conditions  (Read 131662 times)

avid angler

Re: Chilliwack Steelhead conditions
« Reply #255 on: February 13, 2018, 06:24:00 PM »

You 100% would have washed away and died trying to get over there. Your even less likely to have caught a fish there considering your probably 1 for atleast 20 trips if your a retired local.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #256 on: February 13, 2018, 07:40:05 PM »

Some of the younger guys definitely should be given an opportunity to tube, I know a few guys who have already landed more than 20 fish this year and people like them would greatly benefit the hatchery.

avid angler

« Reply #257 on: February 13, 2018, 07:48:33 PM »

Glad someone else can see the light. What’s going to happen when Thor gets too old to continue tubing? They would only have a few fish by now. It’s time to pass the torch

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #258 on: February 13, 2018, 08:33:51 PM »

I’m not sure they care to tube every last wild fish in the vedder. If they did they could easily just beach seine to ensure that they got every last one.

Oh yeah I forgot the vedder different then every other declining steelhead systems in bc.

It’s plentiful the old fishermen just suck.

Oh and can anyone here actually tell me how many are returning this year?

Is catch and release not enough? Do we really need to retain steelhead?

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #259 on: February 13, 2018, 09:19:41 PM »

Glad someone else can see the light. What’s going to happen when Thor gets too old to continue tubing? They would only have a few fish by now. It’s time to pass the torch
No tube for you!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #260 on: February 13, 2018, 09:20:00 PM »

Is catch and release not enough? Do we really need to retain steelhead?
And that folks is the elephant in the room. Thanks for stating the obvious wildmanyeah.  I'm going for popcorn  ;D

Jk47

« Reply #261 on: February 14, 2018, 06:30:57 AM »

Extra butter please

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #262 on: February 14, 2018, 09:51:58 AM »

Around 4 inches of snow overnight, wet snow now, roads are good.

spoiler

« Reply #263 on: February 14, 2018, 11:54:42 AM »

Yeah,
there's a bunch of 20 something year olds out there fishing every day that probably guide during the summer and take the winter off to collect EI on our dime so they can fish all the time! Most of the ones I have run across seem to have some sense of entitlement to the fishing spots as they have zero etiquette when it comes to other anglers and even though a lot of them are driving POS cars they all own custom built Sage rods and $600 center pin reels! 

John Revolver

« Reply #264 on: February 14, 2018, 01:43:14 PM »

a lot of them are driving POS cars they all own custom built Sage rods and $600 center pin reels!

I'd say they have their priorities perfectly in line

Apennock

« Reply #265 on: February 14, 2018, 03:38:51 PM »

So you saw a group of young people getting out and enjoying nature, fishing instead of partying and wrecking, spending their money on rods instead of supped up rice rockets and your immediate reaction is to make a bunch of assumptions that turn all that into a bad thing?  That makes no sense to me.  Nor does it make sense to assume that a young person with time during the day is on EI and not in university OR that they may just live at home and not need income for the full year. 

I’m a 27 year old landscaper and I often get snowed out and go fishing.  I participate in river cleanups and teach my kids to do the same, I practice appropriate fishing etiquette because I have been lucky enough that more experienced fisherman helped me learn how.  A lot of young fishermen don’t get that opportunity. 

Spoiler, you’re welcome to come fishing with me anytime to get to know what the “20-something’s” on the river are really like but it would be even better if you would befriend the kids you’re talking about and give them a chance to learn how it’s done. 

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #266 on: February 14, 2018, 04:11:32 PM »

So far this season I have met some really nice people on the river. Young and old. That being said I don't fish weekends and don't fish the lower end meat holes. Lost another fish this morning. Starting to see a few around now. Talked to Thor today and he says 16 so far captured for brood stock.

Jk47

« Reply #267 on: February 14, 2018, 04:17:15 PM »

River got really chaulky in the upper river through the day, started nice but when I left vis was a foot at best

avid angler

« Reply #268 on: February 14, 2018, 06:49:13 PM »

Yeah,
there's a bunch of 20 something year olds out there fishing every day that probably guide during the summer and take the winter off to collect EI on our dime so they can fish all the time! Most of the ones I have run across seem to have some sense of entitlement to the fishing spots as they have zero etiquette when it comes to other anglers and even though a lot of them are driving POS cars they all own custom built Sage rods and $600 center pin reels!

Feel free to come tell us how you feel in person when you see us on the river.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #269 on: February 14, 2018, 07:04:48 PM »

Feel free to come tell us how you feel in person when you see us on the river.
Whoa, I know spoiler and he is one of nicest guys you will ever meet.  He is a “younger” old guy (as opposed to me ) who, like me, remembers the way the Vedder used to be.  He is a pleasure to fish with, very non aggressive and is the type that would never slip in below you.  A gentleman angler who has done his share of mentoring as is obvious when you see the crowd of younger anglers, mainly friends of his son, he travels with.  Pretty good rod too ;)