Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack Steelhead conditions  (Read 130236 times)

John Revolver

Re: Chilliwack Steelhead conditions
« Reply #225 on: February 10, 2018, 09:29:04 PM »

how was the gongshow?

Im heading out tomorrow. How was the vis up top?

Ryan.maccie

« Reply #226 on: February 10, 2018, 10:31:57 PM »

Day started out with 6-10" vis' in the lower.  Lowholed in the gongshow rite off the bat.  Toward sunset the clarity ws coming back i woud say 18-20" vis.  Water is still very higher than ideal imo.   Fished 7am-5pm. 2 guys on spey gear' no luck.  No reports of anything either.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #227 on: February 11, 2018, 01:04:36 PM »

Water looked OK at first light. Has warmed up now not sure if more clay will fall in during the day.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #228 on: February 11, 2018, 06:07:03 PM »

Took a look see tonight. Mid river was about 18 inches.Ugly grey colour instead of nice green shade. Two campfires left burning where I checked out the river. What a zoo. Be back out on Tuesday after the weekend guys are gone!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 06:25:30 PM by Wiseguy »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #229 on: February 12, 2018, 09:20:23 AM »

Water was good this AM but very windy at Lickman Road area. Parking lot was also packed with holiday fishers.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #230 on: February 12, 2018, 11:50:07 AM »

Thanx Chris! Weekend almost over and the river coming into shape! Gonna be a good week!

DRP79

« Reply #231 on: February 12, 2018, 02:43:58 PM »

Out again today for a good ol skunking. Water level is getting much better but clarity still not ideal. I would say 12-18 inches of visibility. Bit of a nip in the air but no icy guides and I avoided the wind for the most part.

I love being out there whether I catch or not but my will is being tested in a big way, lol. Im getting dangerously close to about 30 trips for steelhead over the past 2 seasons (and to this point this season) without even a bite from one silvery mother trucker. After catching a handul over the first three seasons I suddenly find myself wondering what my golf clubs are doing and if they think of me.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #232 on: February 12, 2018, 03:13:05 PM »

Out again today for a good ol skunking. Water level is getting much better but clarity still not ideal. I would say 12-18 inches of visibility. Bit of a nip in the air but no icy guides and I avoided the wind for the most part.

I love being out there whether I catch or not but my will is being tested in a big way, lol. Im getting dangerously close to about 30 trips for steelhead over the past 2 seasons (and to this point this season) without even a bite from one silvery mother trucker. After catching a handul over the first three seasons I suddenly find myself wondering what my golf clubs are doing and if they think of me.

Still wearing the Habs hat?  ::)

DRP79

« Reply #233 on: February 12, 2018, 03:23:51 PM »

Lol, funny you should mention that Dave. Im not much for superstition but the habs hat was there at the beginning when i did catch a few and then things did dry up around the time I got a new hat. I went back to the habs hat for a while, stopped bringing bananas, tried a new hat again and still nothing, lol.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #234 on: February 12, 2018, 03:55:34 PM »

Don't sweat it bro. Been a tough year so far. Everyone is struggling to hook up.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #235 on: February 12, 2018, 03:59:30 PM »

Well, at least you aren't wearing a Leafs hat ... those guys never catch many fish :-[
Seriously, don't feel bad as it does seem there are fewer fish this year.
-  oops, Wiseguy beat me to it.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #236 on: February 12, 2018, 05:16:26 PM »

This fall I fished a lower main flow for coho that does not get very many returners. I found out from the Hatchery manager that they only clipped 25000 smolts for the year return. Even at a conservative 2-4% ocean survival rate that would only mean around 500-1000 clipped coho would be returning. 

I fished the flow every morning for almost 30 days. I had 3 days where my arms fell off from fighting so many Coho.  Every other day I got Skunked besides from lots of cutthroat. 

One's own fishing experience is not a good representation of the actual returns.  It's why we need proper counts done in the C/V, we also have no idea of the age they are returning at. 

I know steelhead migrate differently, so maybe the compression is not a good one.

In the early 1900's these rivers were top steelhead rivers "The Stave River, January and February; the Coquehalla and Vedder in February and March, and the Seymour and Capilano in February and again in May and early June."

Vedder is the only one left that has any resemblance of a fishery

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #237 on: February 12, 2018, 05:24:52 PM »

Today is brutal cold. I felt colder than January. Fished from hatchery to peach road no luck.
Talked to a senior carry fish tube, he is also disappointed and worried the brood stock.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #238 on: February 12, 2018, 06:38:31 PM »

As far as brood stock is concerned. Last count I heard was 14 so far, that was last week. With the high water this yr, the tubers may have to fish the closed area to get the 70 required.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #239 on: February 12, 2018, 09:01:23 PM »

As far as brood stock is concerned. Last count I heard was 14 so far, that was last week. With the high water this yr, the tubers may have to fish the closed area to get the 70 required.
Already are.