Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: daily quota on chinook?  (Read 7116 times)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
daily quota on chinook?
« on: September 20, 2017, 08:40:29 AM »

The daily limit total of salmon in region 2 is 4. The daily limit on adult Chinook/spring is 1 in most rivers, like Fraser, Harrison, Chilliwack Vedder. So if you retain a chinook from Harrison or Fraser, can you retain another chinook from another river on the same day if you fish 2 or more rivers for the day? The region 2 salmon synopsis seems not restricting to 1 chinook per day for region 2. Any comment/clarification appreciated. Thanks.

Here is the salmon quota for region 2 by river/stream:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 08:45:53 AM by Steelhawk »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: daily quota on chinook?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 08:53:52 AM »

No.

I asked the same question once. I actually called DFO and spoke to a FO.  The daily limits per river are not cumulative. So if the limit on the Fraser is 1 over 62 and 1 over 62 in the Vedder you cannot take one per river for a total of 2 in a day.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 09:02:15 AM »

So the daily limit of chinook for region 2 is 1 chinook then. They should have a clause at the top of the synopsis stating that to avoid the confusion. Thanks for the clarification.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 09:02:46 AM »

No.

I asked the same question once. I actually called DFO and spoke to a FO.  The daily limits per river are not cumulative. So if the limit on the Fraser is 1 over 62 and 1 over 62 in the Vedder you cannot take one per river for a total of 2 in a day.
It gets more complicated than that now that the quota for the Vedder is 2 chinook.  If you kept one in the Fraser in the morning, where the quota is one, I would assume you can still go to the Vedder and get a 2nd fish.  The reverse order, however, would be questionable, because if you went to the Fraser 2nd you would already have 1 chinook for the day, which equals the Fraser quota.

Or what if you get 2 coho in the Harrison (which I think is normally the quota there) and then move up into the Chehalis - can you keep 2 more coho?  I would think so.  Can you do the reverse - keep 2 in the Chehalis and then move to the Harrison?  That gets trickier.  Complicated this one even further is that, because you don't need to record coho on your license, there is no documentation of where the fish were caught.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 09:56:52 AM »

Does this mean if you retained 1 pink at Furry Creek, then you are not allowed to retain 1 at Squamish, but the reverse you are allowed?  Either way, you are probably catching 2 Squamish bound pinks.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:58:23 AM by fic »

fisherforever

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 10:13:07 AM »

Daily quota for Chilliwack/Vedder Sept 01 to Dec 31 Chinook 4 per day only 2 over 62 cm

bobby b

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 10:49:44 AM »

Thanks for posting that fishforever. 
Yesterday at the   Vedder I had a guy freak on me because  I  caught and bonked 2 big Springs... "hey you @&$'jn so and so .... you can't keep 2 over 62". I replied "read the regs for this system before you start trying to Police me" and went back to fishing .... then I caught a jack Spring and kept that too!!

Seems there is always a know it all .... that knows not at all.

Also had a guy yell at me a few weeks back for bonking a Pink at Squamish .... saying there is zero retention for pinks!!

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 10:52:08 AM by bobby b »

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 11:21:01 AM »

So the daily limit of chinook for region 2 is 1 chinook then. They should have a clause at the top of the synopsis stating that to avoid the confusion.

No, see: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html . The default limit for salmon region 2 is zero. In waters where chinook retention is permitted, the daily limit is usually 4.  Whether that’s 1 adult, 2 adults, 4 jacks, or whatever, and what is the definition of adult is water specific. Some waters have a daily Chinook limit of 1, just to confuse matters more.

Because each water can and do have different limits I think simply ensuring you do not possess more than you are allowed to on that particular water is the safest practice.

Retain 2 coho from the Stave in the morning, then go to the Vedder to get 2 more in the afternoon? Don’t see a problem.

Retain 1 chum in the Stave in the morning, then go to the Vedder to get 1 more in the afternoon? Asking for trouble.

Retain 2 chum in the Stave in the morning, then go to the Vedder to C&R chum in the afternoon? Asking for extra trouble.

Tangles

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 01:15:16 PM »

It gets more complicated than that now that the quota for the Vedder is 2 chinook.  If you kept one in the Fraser in the morning, where the quota is one, I would assume you can still go to the Vedder and get a 2nd fish.  The reverse order, however, would be questionable, because if you went to the Fraser 2nd you would already have 1 chinook for the day, which equals the Fraser quota.

I don't see a problem because you would have already written down your adult chinook on your license and that includes the river it was caught on  ::)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 04:49:09 PM »

I don't see a problem because you would have already written down your adult chinook on your license and that includes the river it was caught on  ::)

... in which case you can ask Blair to be your legal consultant.  :D
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 05:19:49 PM »

No.

Which would make sense if the retention limits were consistent across all waters in the region, but they are not. If you can keep 1 in the Fraser but 2 in the Vedder then can you retain a second at the Vedder?

I get that limits are not supposed to be cumulative, but your statement implies is that once you hit the limit of a species in a particular water, then you may not retain any more of that species from *any* water in the region even if the daily limit is higher elsewhere. If that is the intent of the regs but it sure isnt clear about that...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 06:15:38 PM »

I think how you and others have looked at it - that for example you could take 2 hatchery coho from Dewdney Slough then go to the Vedder and take 2 more, makes sense.

In the case I called DFO the limits were the same throughout Region 2 but the regs aren't really clear on if catch limits from other rivers can add up to a limit of 4, which is why I called them. The impression I got was they hadn't thought about it in those terms at all.

dobrolub

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 07:04:30 PM »

possession limit  – 2 days' catch.

i've never been able to get my limit, so the possibility of running into this problem is remote for me.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 07:06:36 PM by dobrolub »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 08:58:35 PM »

possession limit  – 2 days' catch.
i've never been able to get my limit, so the possibility of running into this problem is remote for me.

Possession limits do not apply to your ordinary residence. You can keep more than 2 days catch at your ordinary residence, unless of course prohibited by other limits (i.e. annual limit)

"Most" of the DFO Officers don't even understand them themselves ...due to the confusion and daily changes. (Plus i think many of them dont even fish or have a basic understanding -> Yes, i'm calling many of them: STUPID)

If  your "Lucky" -> have the Judge, Prosecutor or DFO officer try going through the DFO WEB SITES and to show the Current Regulations.  They will NOT BE ABLE to show it due to the fact they are the most confusing on the face of the earth!

Your odds of having the Case Dismissed are extremely high.

* I have fished all over this country and have never encountered a more confusing, and idiotic system managed by the DFO. Their system(s) are Pathetic!

Isn't this the kind of rant that you recently promised to spare us from?

bobby b

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 10:18:18 PM »

It was a rant....and an ignorant and offensive one at that.

It was also very bad advise..... 

" ever given a Ticket by a DFO Officer for a discrepancy in Retention limits" ..... "Go to court and fight it" ...gimmie a break
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 10:22:07 PM by bobby b »