Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2017 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 151675 times)

hillmonkey

I fished lower river at Wilson road from about 7am till 1pm and saw 3 fish landed, 1 Jack Spring, 1 Adult Spring and 1 pink. I didn't get a sniff. Water is super clear and low. Tons of fish were rolling, splashing, etc.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?

was fishing after work around 6...saw a couple of nice clean jacks on the beach but no ho. water is clear and in some spots moving pretty good. lots of old pinks still milling around heading up river.  fished mid river for an hour spinning with blue fox various colors but no bites...nothing. The hunt continues for them ho's...vacation starts next week  :)

milo

• Old Timer

Two buddies who are top rods and who fished today told me it was a tough day today with no coho seen or caught. Some more rain would definitely help.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

Ya it seems a tough year for coho so far. Was there yesterday never saw a coho taken in the few spots I tried. Took home a chrome 20 lbers spring doe. Water just way too low and clear. Whatever happen to all those heavy snow last winter. Never saw so much snow fall and yet never saw the Vedder so low either. Not logical, isn't it? Lol. Can we blame it on global warming?  ;D ;D

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

With conditions like this, first and last light are KEY. Use every legal minute you can. Even with the rain yesterday looks like the hills are still just soaking it up.
Good luck out there today guys and gals.

mikeyman

Noticed the rain was enough to push fish up from the canal. Not as many stacked up as last week. Got 2 chrome springs with sea lice. Lost one. Missed a few. Otherwise slow. Not sure if there have been nets out recently. Assume there was got calls from some roe suppliers recently. The river has been very low for this time of year. But it didnt rain all summer or early spring. Weather has been outta wack for sure. Global warming? Warm ocean current blobs. The springs will be tapering off now. Bring on the coho. Been tuff on coho. Hoping rain, other rivers starting up and opening soon will start spreading out the crouds. Time to scout out some spots that have less pressure. Not to turn this into floss snag report. Long leaders. Plain hooks. Rip on every cast. Where is the fun in that? The best part in my opinion is when that fish bites and that float disapears. Not when u bite them. But until regulations change this will be the norm on our rivers. Even when changed I have counted multiple violations each time out. I even made the mistake the other day. Walking back to the car a CO on a quad stopped me. Cool. Good to see. I show him my liscence. Retained a spring. He says this is all good but it is last years liscence. Oh sh@t. I had grabbed the wrong one and put it in my vest. He said honest mistake. Just need to confirm u have this years. He radios it in. I grabbed my phone and beat him to it having kept the email recipt and pdf file from back in May when I purchased it. So all good. Sent on way. Promised i would transfer over my retained springs to the current liscence. So we all make mistakes. But when you see constant ripping snagging taking fish down river to retain. Barbed hooks. Bare hooks. 5 to 10 ft leaders being the norm. Something has to change.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 09:47:47 AM by mikeyman »

Seatosky

Upper river from first light to 1:00.  Plenty of chinook jacks around, and of course old pinks, not much else.  River is was disappointingly clear - I was excited by the bump up last night/early morning, but the river actually dropped down to almost where it was yesterday by the time we started fishing at first light.  Still way too low and clear - I don't think it was enough rain to move fish upriver.  Either that or this is a really awful coho year.

Thank you

bobby b

Good outing today despite the crowds

Hiked around mid and upper ...found some fish .. both the wife and I managed a few big Springs... including a nice red.

clarki

• Old Timer

I found the coho today but what I couldn't find was my landing mojo. I went 0 for 3.  :-[

Tomorrow they won't be so lucky!

clarki

• Old Timer

I found the coho today but what I couldn't find was my landing mojo. I went 0 for 3.  :-[

Tomorrow they won't be so lucky!

They were so lucky. Another 0 for 3 day. Dang!

ja

Just wondering clarki, approximately what time of the day did you get the cohos (first light?). Did you use roe or croc or blades?

Thanks.

clarki

• Old Timer

Just wondering clarki, approximately what time of the day did you get the cohos (first light?). Did you use roe or croc or blades?

Morning.

None of the above. Jigs.

Every Day

• Old Timer

Tried the last two evenings. Fishing from 6 pm to dark (approx 7:10 pm).
Roe in fairly quick water along structure.
Killed a hatch tonight and lost 2 other coho. Yesterday was two chinook and a coho.

Fish are spooky, normally get 1 or 2 per run and then have to move.
Went to a size 4 hook and a 10 pound flouro leader 3 ft long - float to weight about 6 inches. Need to be fishing slow-ish, even flow/speed water to make the long leader trick work though.       

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

surprising. usually get really good hook sets with jigs.

clarki

• Old Timer

surprising. usually get really good hook sets with jigs.
True that. And today was as equally productively non-productive. You can be sure that I have spend time in introspection, self doubt and loathing.😀

I have made some gear adjustments and tomorrow we'll have another crack at them.