Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Run 2017  (Read 262022 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Pink Run 2017
« Reply #390 on: August 14, 2017, 05:41:14 PM »

The Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) applies only to USA.  The Marine Mammal Regulations (Canada) does not prohibit the use of slingshots on seals

Rather than make assumptions, I prefer to ask the question.  I am not saying nor am I implying it is the moral thing to do.  I am specifically asking if it is legal or illegal to use slingshots on seals.  It appears that I may not get the answer.  I suspect the COs may not know this either.

they are a protected mammal under federal law. You are trying to be too clever by half. You can't shoot them or otherwise harass them. The use of a sling shot or a pea shooter doesn't have to be specifically prohibited.

see; http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-93-56/page-2.html#h-6:

Prohibitions

7 No person shall disturb a marine mammal except when fishing for marine mammals under the authority of these Regulations.

PART IVSeals
Licences

26.1 (1) Every person who fishes for seals shall hold at least one of the following licences:

(a) a fishing licence for seal — personal use;

(b) a fishing licence for seal — commercial use; or

(c) a fishing licence for nuisance seal.

without a license or some other authority (ie 1st Nations harvest) Section 7 applies.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 05:43:01 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #391 on: August 14, 2017, 05:59:47 PM »

Graph for San Juan Seine Test fishery Pink Catch

you can see the effect of the higher diversion through Johnstone Strait. The test results are much lower compared to 2015

same graph for Area 12 Seine Pink Salmon Test Fishery

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 06:35:50 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #392 on: August 14, 2017, 06:57:32 PM »

I was at Squamish a few days ago and there were dozens of anglers up and down the river. It felt a little crowded. Does anyone know what the BC regulations are for using slingshots on anglers (with the intent to scare them away rather than to injure)?  Are they allowed or prohibited?  And will this depend on whether you are on land vs the water? I am not saying nor am I implying it is the moral thing to do. I am specifically asking if it is legal or illegal to use slingshots on anglers. I suspect the COs may not know this either.

On a serious note, I asked somebody who knows the BC environmental laws inside and out. RalphH's answer is right on the money! I suspect the COs are aware of the laws as well, assuming they aren't already on the forum.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #393 on: August 14, 2017, 07:24:33 PM »

Please don't!

My waders have enough holes already...;)

Dryfly22

« Reply #394 on: August 14, 2017, 07:30:17 PM »

Only fly fishers are protected by law.  All other gear guys and especially bottom bouncers are open year round.

Old Blue

« Reply #395 on: August 14, 2017, 07:56:23 PM »

I was at Squamish a few days ago and there were dozens of anglers up and down the river. It felt a little crowded. Does anyone know what the BC regulations are for using slingshots on anglers (with the intent to scare them away rather than to injure)?  Are they allowed or prohibited?  And will this depend on whether you are on land vs the water? I am not saying nor am I implying it is the moral thing to do. I am specifically asking if it is legal or illegal to use slingshots on anglers. I suspect the COs may not know this either.

On a serious note, I asked somebody who knows the BC environmental laws inside and out. RalphH's answer is right on the money! I suspect the COs are aware of the laws as well, assuming they aren't already on the forum.

In stitches!!!!  Thx for this

pkan

« Reply #396 on: August 14, 2017, 08:13:27 PM »

Thank you all for your comments and feedback.  As Rodney would say, "let's get back to fishing".

Scooterguy

« Reply #397 on: August 14, 2017, 09:10:10 PM »

At last, i saw blue sky at Furry Creek last Sunday. Just beautiful. Not sure anyone notice it or too much attention on water :) :)

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #398 on: August 14, 2017, 11:54:03 PM »

Graph for San Juan Seine Test fishery Pink Catch

Thanks.
It ain't the roe bro'

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #399 on: August 15, 2017, 06:03:27 AM »

I assume I'd have to get both a saltwater and freshwater slingshot license, or is it more rock-dependent?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 06:52:30 AM by NothingToSnagAbout »

GordJ

« Reply #400 on: August 15, 2017, 08:36:36 AM »

It is better to get your PGAC (paint ball gun acquisition permit) so the problem anglers can be id'd when they become habituated. Once they get a taste of salmon they can become a real problem.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #401 on: August 15, 2017, 08:51:32 AM »

I just take satisfaction in knowing that the seal may die as it tries to digest both of my treble hooks.  Lost a 20 pound chinook earlier this summer

243Pete

« Reply #402 on: August 15, 2017, 09:23:21 AM »

I just take satisfaction in knowing that the seal may die as it tries to digest both of my treble hooks.  Lost a 20 pound chinook earlier this summer

Ooohh that sounds like quite the slow and painful death. =\ Makes the idea of constipation ten times worse.

But from what I've noticed this year is that the seals seem WAY more hibituated as they seem to wait till a fish is hooked before they go after it. If a school of pinks is coming you will see them and behind them will be 2-4 seals, once a fish is hooked you will see the wakes they make going straight towards that fish.
Unfortunately, I had a seal chase a fairly large male pink straight towards the shore and it wrapped itself around another anglers legs whom I appologized to and both noted how the seal stopped only five feet from him. Then the next day something similar happened and a seal chased my fish straight towards a buddy of mine and freaked him out as he saw the black shadow bolt in front of him, and watched many more people get fish taken either far out or close to shore from seals especially when the bite is on. But to my luck I haven't had any fish taken off my line from the seal other than the very light subtle bites and thrown hooks.

Maybe this is cause of the low numbers of fish or they are now getting used to a human presense and know that a hooked fish is way easier to get than a free swimming one.

Oh and Furry was quiet so quiet on Monday that people started to leave before 8am. I had one pink follow up to shore which surprised a buddy's friend cause he was like "What the heck is that?!!?" and saw the open mouth trying to bite my spoon.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #403 on: August 15, 2017, 09:50:10 AM »

Ooohh that sounds like quite the slow and painful death. =\ Makes the idea of constipation ten times worse.

But from what I've noticed this year is that the seals seem WAY more hibituated as they seem to wait till a fish is hooked before they go after it. If a school of pinks is coming you will see them and behind them will be 2-4 seals, once a fish is hooked you will see the wakes they make going straight towards that fish.
Unfortunately, I had a seal chase a fairly large male pink straight towards the shore and it wrapped itself around another anglers legs whom I appologized to and both noted how the seal stopped only five feet from him. Then the next day something similar happened and a seal chased my fish straight towards a buddy of mine and freaked him out as he saw the black shadow bolt in front of him, and watched many more people get fish taken either far out or close to shore from seals especially when the bite is on. But to my luck I haven't had any fish taken off my line from the seal other than the very light subtle bites and thrown hooks.

Maybe this is cause of the low numbers of fish or they are now getting used to a human presense and know that a hooked fish is way easier to get than a free swimming one.

Oh and Furry was quiet so quiet on Monday that people started to leave before 8am. I had one pink follow up to shore which surprised a buddy's friend cause he was like "What the heck is that?!!?" and saw the open mouth trying to bite my spoon.

Bingo over the last 5 years the have become completely habituated off fishermen. They key in on the boats fishing and will follow the boat around too. Best you can do when your out there is get by another boat and then speed up and hope you tag the other boat with the seal.

96XJ

« Reply #404 on: August 15, 2017, 12:52:19 PM »

Bingo over the last 5 years the have become completely habituated off fishermen. They key in on the boats fishing and will follow the boat around too. Best you can do when your out there is get by another boat and then speed up and hope you tag the other boat with the seal.

Sounds like a video game i used to play with my kids - bump into another player and they would get the timebomb