Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Run 2017  (Read 258524 times)

Shmoke Shaman

Pink Run 2017
« on: March 04, 2017, 08:43:19 AM »

Who's excited for the Pink run this year? I am.
A lot of of people pass on eating the Pink because of the light color of the meat and the softness. I actually enjoy eating the Pinks.

Having the soft meat, how does everyone cook their Pinks?
I generally wrap them in foil and cook in coals or just a simple pan fry.

If you're just getting into salmon fishing, fishing the Pink run is the best way to start. Take advantage this year since they only run every odd year.

Does anyone have any killer lures or fly's for the Pinks?
I know they generally bite anything but I have caught the most Pinks on this fly.

I hope ya'll hyped for the Pinks now  ;D

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Pink Run 2017
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 08:57:56 AM »

well I will be more excited if it turns out to be a decent run. The run up north last year was pretty much a bust and 2015 was mediocre.

As for flies I generally just use some sort of simple pink marabou fly either with dumbell eyes or bead chain.

One is just a gold body a few wraps of cerise or hot pink marabou, dumbells/chain eyes and a few strands of gold flashabou. size #6 or #8

The other has a marabou tail, length of the hook,sparkle chenille hot pink or cerise body & bead chain eyes: #10 hook 1x or 2x long

A simple Pink Eve style fly also has caught me fish for decades.

I have used a rolled muddler style like yours with a hot pink yarn head clipped short.

Fact is just about any variation on these styles will catch fish as will other flies in blue green or even white with teal hackle catches pinks

For lures a kitamat in hot orange with white stripe or a pink bladed spinner work - even when the Fraser is muddy.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 09:55:18 AM »

After catching, bleeding and de-gilling.  I bring it home and get ready to BBQ it.

Baste on some sesame oil, a little ginger and garlic, soy sauce and honey.  Cooked skin side down on bbq, lid closed, directly on the grill rack.  Gets a nice carmelization around the edges, and some people like the eat the crispy skin.

If I'm not eating it same day, they get brined and smoked.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 09:55:29 AM »

I'll be more excited in May. That said I'm looking forward to getting my youngest into his first salmon this year on his Spider-Man rod.
That's what excites me about the pink fishery. Anyone and everyone who normally doesn't give a heck about fishing can get out with friends have a good time and catch a couple fish.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 09:58:11 AM »

I've taken part in this fishery for decades.  Its funny, you can talk to 20 different guys about what their "go to" lure is or was.  And get 20 different answers.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 09:59:31 AM »

I've taken part in this fishery for decades.  Its funny, you can talk to 20 different guys about what their "go to" lure is or was.  And get 20 different answers.

My go to lure when I'm not fly or jig fishing is any old tarnished spinner that's been neglected or beat up spray painted pink. Or just the way it is.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 11:01:20 AM »

Hope the Fraser pinks will be better than last season's 6 million fish count.  The season before it was 24 million and you can really see the difference on the Fraser and the Vedder.  Squamish pinks in 2015 were pretty abundant I found, but they were quite a few of them on the small side compared to the 2013 run.

Wonder what happened with the Seymour pink run with the Rock slide.  I don't think they were trucking pinks up to the spawning grounds.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 11:04:58 AM »

the Squamish #s in 2015 were much lower than 2013 though it didn't seem to have the 4 fold decrease the Fraser system experienced. I guess we'll have to wait and see but my guess there will be another low return on the South Coast - hopefully it's more than 6 million, not less.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Shmoke Shaman

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 09:53:51 PM »

Looks like theres alot of excitement! Hopefully we see a nice healthy return this year.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 11:24:58 PM »

Best part is fishing early in the morning under Pattullo bridge and go to work with one fish.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 12:19:31 AM »

Super excited!

TimL

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 09:35:37 AM »

Looking forward to it for sure  😀

chironomidking

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 09:43:25 AM »

Fav Pink recipe is Thai Green Curry

Ingredients
 4 each 6oz (170 g) thick salmon fillets, skinned, de-boned, cut into 1" cubes
 1 can unsweetened coconut milk (check ingredient - only milk and water is best)
 1 tbsp Thai green curry paste
 1 tbsp white sugar
 1 cup (240 ml) white wine or combination of cooking wine/cooking sherry
 3 tbsps Asian fish sauce

Serve over rice and top with fresh chopped cilantro

Options to add:
 1 tbsp tumeric
 2 cups (130 g) snow peas, stem ends trimmed and strings removed
 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
 3 green onions, thinly sliced

Bring sauce (with all spices) to a rolling boil and add in fish - do not over cook! 

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 09:56:59 AM »

Excited to take my little salmon slayers out again for pinks.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

BananasQ

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 11:32:28 AM »

Yep - looking forward to getting my kids into the pinks this year for sure.  Eldest got skunked for coho on her trips last fall, but this will be perfect and may even take the younger one too.  Also going to introduce some newer Canadians (father and son) to this amazing opportunity. Did Furry Creek in 2015 with good success, two quick Qs which I hope people don't mind as Furry Creek isn't a big secret and one is a safety issue 1) how do people get to the parking on the southbound side of the road - turn around at Brittania? and 2) when should I be penciling in my calendar, late June / early July? And to answer the original question, I found the "eyed pink flies" absolutely lethal. Better than jigs, buzzbombs, spinners, etc - I was hooking up every cast once dialed in, whilst others around were getting little success - it was amazing to be part of the "10% of fisherman" for once! :D