Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Run 2017  (Read 260156 times)

BananasQ

Re: Pink Run 2017
« Reply #300 on: August 08, 2017, 11:11:54 AM »

Okay, just wanting to confirm - but the Squamish fishing boundary is as follows, correct?  Also, I finally worked out how to post a picture from OneDrive!

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #301 on: August 08, 2017, 11:23:20 AM »

Okay, just wanting to confirm - but the Squamish fishing boundary is as follows, correct?  Also, I finally worked out how to post a picture from OneDrive!

Correct.

TimL

« Reply #302 on: August 08, 2017, 05:40:17 PM »

Really ... I had 4-5 fish in the first hour..... prob had 12-15 total.
 Got a Jack Sping too😃!
Hmm I must have missed you or we were fishing on different banks...but that was the general consensus I got from the area I was fishing at. Anyway good for you..at least you were slaying!  It was a pretty brutal day for me- nothing on gear was working (I don't fly fish)..Speaking of green I did try drifting a chartreuse jig and a half green/half silver trolling spoon but no takers..I suspect my presentation is still too big.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #303 on: August 08, 2017, 06:14:14 PM »

Hmm I must have missed you or we were fishing on different banks...but that was the general consensus I got from the area I was fishing at. Anyway good for you..at least you were slaying!  It was a pretty brutal day for me- nothing on gear was working (I don't fly fish)..Speaking of green I did try drifting a chartreuse jig and a half green/half silver trolling spoon but no takers..I suspect my presentation is still too big.

I am guessing the bright sun turned off lots of bites.  Using the same presentation on a rainy day I bet you would have had lots of hook ups.

GRS1550

« Reply #304 on: August 08, 2017, 06:34:35 PM »

On Friday Morning was casting out and caught a SeaGull.  The hook didnt get in, just line wrapped around the wing.  I was amazed at how CALM the seagull was. Didnt even try to bite me once or move away. Just sat patiently on the ground as i unwrapped the line.

Anyone know what the LIMIT is on Seagulls?

NBL.....
SSS...
Ok, newbie here so please forgive me.

Was on the Squamish last week for the first time using a fly rod and slightty under-gunned, but having fun.
Anyways, had one roll over my toes and seen a couple hooked and long line released.
Then there where the two guys above me who had one on the beach each and continued to fish.
FFS, people play by the rules, there is a reason why they reduced the limit and the warmer water is one reason.

Rob
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 06:37:01 PM by GRS1550 »
Play Hard, Fish Harder

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #305 on: August 08, 2017, 06:40:40 PM »

It is legal to continue fishing after retaining your limit as far as I know, with steelhead being the exception.

cdjk123

« Reply #306 on: August 08, 2017, 07:59:44 PM »

I believe you have to stop once you limit out (1 per day/angler)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #307 on: August 08, 2017, 08:02:32 PM »

I believe you have to stop once you limit out (1 per day/angler)

Applies only to steelhead. Doesn't apply to salmon.....yet

bobby b

« Reply #308 on: August 08, 2017, 08:31:24 PM »

NBL.....
SSS...
Ok, newbie here so please forgive me.

Was on the Squamish last week for the first time using a fly rod and slightty under-gunned, but having fun.
Anyways, had one roll over my toes and seen a couple hooked and long line released.
Then there where the two guys above me who had one on the beach each and continued to fish.
FFS, people play by the rules, there is a reason why they reduced the limit and the warmer water is one reason.

Rob

Undergunned? What weight rod you using?

I caught a few on Sat with my 5wt and too felt under gunned a bit .... but it was still fun..  Used a 10 ft single hand 8wt on Sun/Mon and was way better suited for a good sized fish that gets into fast moving water..   a 6-7wt would prob be ideal for Pinks..... hmm, maybe I need another fly rod.... ;D

BTW..
The retention limit on the Squamish is 1 Pink Per Day Per Angler....

If I get a nice one I keep it, I have no prob just Catch & Releasing fish after that....
Release is easier on the fish when fishing barbless and not beaching the fish.
it is a sport after all. C&R done with care can still equal a full day of fun....and a belly full of Salmon for dinner!! 

Steelhead... some systems ya can keep one hatchery fish per day.... at the Vedder for example, if ya kill then it you are done fishing for that day. If ya dont kill it then ya can ....fish on!!

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 09:29:31 PM by bobby b »

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #309 on: August 08, 2017, 09:24:15 PM »

From the Region 2 Synopsis:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1517/fishing_synopsis_2015-17_region2.pdf

"When you have caught and retained
your daily quota of hatchery steelhead
from any water, you must stop fishing
that water for the remainder of that day."

There is no similar regulation for salmon.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 09:26:13 PM by fic »

bobby b

« Reply #310 on: August 08, 2017, 09:45:00 PM »

I suspect my presentation is still too big.

Could be....the fly I use is quite small and sparse.

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #311 on: August 08, 2017, 09:58:09 PM »

Never Been Late
Split Sour Stave
Four Fudge Steaks

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #312 on: August 09, 2017, 07:45:09 AM »

There appears to be some concern about people fishing after they caught their limit of one pink on the Squamish this year. I commend your enthusiasm for the welfare of the fish, and I won't argue with anyone who chooses to leave after catching and retaining their one fish.  I certainly practice this on the Fraser when the sockeye are open.  When the sockeye are not open, I choose not to fish the Fraser at all (even in the springs are open).  That's my choice.

But I'll present another side of the story.  The pinks in the Squamish are already in, or close to, their home water.  Unlike the Fraser sockeye that have to deal with great distances and warm water, the pinks have the benefit of short travel and the water is cold (glacial fed cold).  If DFO was concerned about pink mortality due to low numbers and environmental conditions, they would have CLOSED the fishing for pinks.  Remember in past seasons (2005, 2007, and 2009) there was a non-retention fishery for pinks on the Squamish.  In fact, the river was closed in mid-August 2005 due to a chemical spill that occurred. I believe it's fair to say that a C&R fishery did not affect the run as evidenced by strong runs in 2011, 2013 and 2015.

As I've said above, if you choose to stop fishing after retaining your limit of one fish, then that's your choice.  However, before preaching to others to do the same, I think it would be good to consider all the information and not compare the Squamish pink salmon fishery to the Fraser sockeye (Bottom Bouncing) flossery.

Just my 50 cents worth.  Carry on and get your line on the water...:)

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #313 on: August 09, 2017, 11:45:00 AM »

Was out in Squamish on Monday, noticed some guys start trying to drift small flies with their baitcasters. Never seen this before. Does it work? Need to put some split shots along the way?

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #314 on: August 09, 2017, 12:09:46 PM »

Lots of posts and suggestions saying it does. I caught at FC with that method...