Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Be Safe .....  (Read 8250 times)

bobby b

Be Safe .....
« on: February 13, 2017, 07:54:03 PM »

This post is to the 2 guys I saw yesterday try (and fail) to wade across the river at Prison run.....

If you are a member(s) of this forum, or happen to read this forum.... you know who you are.

I saw you both head down into the bottom of the tailout and wade across the river where it narrows downstream...... then later you both popped outta the woods all the way back up the river up to the bottom wide section of Prison run  ... 1st dude starts to wade across....wades forward into the flow and clearly starts to fumble as the water got higher/faster and ended up swimmin' .....in his waders... a dunk and a few strokes later.. he stumbled across onto the rocks. 

I and others were yelling at ya NOT to go as you were goin' .....prob no chance your buddy heard any of that with the white noise of the flow.....seeing as he, after watching you go for a swim..... proceeded to do exactly the same thing , with a bit more of a swim!

Fools ....both of ya.  With waders on, that easily could have gotten bad....

I heard ya both were seen stripping down as ya had to get all your wet clothes off/... serves ya right.

Be friggen safe out there .... you have a choice ...if it looks sketchy.. it is sketchy ,why take risks. Someone died in that river on feb 14 last year...no need for another.   

Be safe

Peace .....
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 07:58:35 PM by bobby b »

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: Be Safe .....
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 08:10:18 PM »

Stupid people. If you have no regard for your own life, at least think of the poor rescue crew members that have to endanger their own lives and work theirs butts off to recover your water logged carcasses.

Come on people -  lets try get through 2017 without a drowning on the river.

Please - think before you wade. Know your escape plan every time you step into the river, just in case something goes poorly.

Knowing that you'll have to swim in waders is not a good escape plan.

I'm glad I wasn't there to see that. I don't need the nightmares.

cdjk123

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 01:50:38 PM »

People don't have enough respect for water. I'm saying this because I've had many close calls while trying to wade something I shouldn't.

Always play it safe-if it feels wrong, don't do it.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 05:52:26 PM »

Tight fitting wading belt will help keep you from filling up immediately. I always wear mine and always have, I've also taken a couple plunges down the Vedder in winter doing something stupid and dangerous. I rarely wade past my knees anymore unless the current is quite slow and I can see the bottom. A fish is not worth a life !
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 09:57:47 PM »

I do what people perceive as "sketchy" wades quite often.
What one person perceives as sketchy, may very well be completely fine for another angler. For example, I'm confident in waist deep fast flowing water while many aren't.

I have quite a few conditions for a wade.
These are based on bottom substrate, and water directly below/dangers below (waterfalls/cascades/log jams/sweepers), and river levels.

If it's mostly gravel bottom (similar to what I remember the bottom end of prison being), I will often do deep wades/fast water. This is because there is no foot entrapment potential, which is what generally kills people in a panic situation (they try to stand and their foot gets wedged). I'm fine with "deeper water" in a lot of those situations - of course depending on what kind of water is directly below me. I like to have at least 100 yards of water to work with in case something happens. If you fall, you swim. Don't try to stand back up, just beach yourself. If you swim, believe me when I say the waders have literally NO IMPACT. It's trying to stand up that kills you in waders - they are heavy and you can't stand which makes you panic more. Swim to the beach, beach yourself, and crawl up while leaning forward to drain the water out of the top (hopefully you were wearing your wading belt).

I took a couple super sketchy swims in white water last year. They were just that - swims - because I didn't panic and swam rather than trying to stand up. One, I got launched out of a raft on a drift in class 4 water. Everything happened so fast I didn't even deploy the life jacket. I just swam to the raft. The other I was walking a canyon wall and fell 15 feet into a torrent. Luckily on the second one, I was 10 feet away from the end of the wall near a gravel bar and was able to swim out before the cascade below. The second one scared me badly - and now I'm obviously more careful. Learning experience.

Obviously I'm not saying go out and swim around in steelhead season. What I am saying though, is that it's not the waders that kills you - it's panic and bad decisions. If you're not confident in a wade/have a bad feeling, don't do it. If you aren't experienced wading, don't do stupid wades. If you aren't comfortable around water, don't do dumb wades. It's not rocket science. Calling out people on a forum though for a wade they did is kind of silly. The way you often learn is by doing those wades once or twice. I bet they won't do it again, with you calling them out or not. Getting wet scares a lot of people.

It should also be mentioned that the drowning last year on this date was in extremely high water, and wasn't a wading accident.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 10:04:12 PM »

when wade into river, do yourself a favour by double checking cellphone in waterproof box. I lost two iphone 6 cost half of my life:)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 11:13:20 PM »

Rivers change from one year to another. What is "safe" one year may not be next season.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 12:19:20 AM »

I've had a few close calls myself and I'll tell you it doesn't take much to distort visibility and flow. What you think is a clear path going one way can easily change with the tide and shifting of the sun or lack of. I remember the last scary situation I put myself in, I was crossing up river during a down pour and I lost my footing causing the current to twist me side ways pinning me against a boulder. The only reason I was able to right myself was because my rod was out of the water and I was able to use it as a gaff to guide me to the next set of rocks where I found my balance....I didn't panic, but being alone it surely scared me straight. Now I rarely wade pass my knees even in familiar water...it's just not worth it.

I always cringe when I see over confident fishers cross rivers where even the most experienced waders will think twice...It's worse when they refuse to take heed to the warning of others of the danger they're putting themselves in.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 08:42:44 AM »

I've had a few close calls myself and I'll tell you it doesn't take much to distort visibility and flow. What you think is a clear path going one way can easily change with the tide and shifting of the sun or lack of. I remember the last scary situation I put myself in, I was crossing up river during a down pour and I lost my footing causing the current to twist me side ways pinning me against a boulder. The only reason I was able to right myself was because my rod was out of the water and I was able to use it as a gaff to guide me to the next set of rocks where I found my balance....I didn't panic, but being alone it surely scared me straight. Now I rarely wade pass my knees even in familiar water...it's just not worth it.

I always cringe when I see over confident fishers cross rivers where even the most experienced waders will think twice...It's worse when they refuse to take heed to the warning of others of the danger they're putting themselves in.

Your description of your scary wade is exactly what I'm talking about. Boulders. They always cause problems. Anything with rocks larger than fist size should be done with extreme caution. I probably wouldn't do anything over knee high in a large boulder setting.

Wading during rising water is never a good idea either. I've almost been stuck a few times.

And I agree that rivers change often. You should never wade just because you've done so in the past. A good pair of polarized glasses and being able to read water goes a long way.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 03:15:44 PM »

When you get to my age I use a wading stick even in knee high water and even on dry land too as my balance is not what it used to be. Glad I donot need it on the badminton court. ;D

Snagly

Wading war stories and a good article
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 04:23:05 PM »

The late Barry Thornton wrote an article "Wading the River" that I recommend: http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/angling/protalk/thornton/steelhead3.phtml

After I read it, I started using a wading staff (stout stick: not one of the multi-piece metal staffs that only are stable in slow flows) even in water that wasn't particularly challenging. When two anglers are crossing, we link arms and the downstream fellow has a staff while the upstream man carries the rods. I pay extra attention when wading swift, shallow water as falls in the shallows end up hurting a lot more than stumbles thigh-deep as there's less of a cushion in shin-deep water.

I also wear three wading belts, all of them super tight. This reads like overkill, but on the one time I took a dunking last fall I needed all three. I had a hot 2-salt steelhead on the line that wanted out of the tailout and into the rapids below. I was dragging the fish to shore right at the break, and fell backwards on my butt in 1 meter of water. In the strong current, it was like lying down and having a firehouse stuck down the back of your waders. I was quickly back on my feet, released the hen, and then walked to shore and pretty much stood on my head to get the water out that was trapped above the various belts. I hadn't shipped too much on board, and was wet only on one side from shoulder to waist. I ended up fishing the rest of the day in almost-comfort even though it was quite cold out.

I concur with EasyDay that panic is the enemy, so having a plan as to when and where you'll cross is the first step to not panicking if you fall. The shock of <5 degree water can take your breath away, and then the inability to stand right up again (and the decision whether to drop your rod or hang on) can contributed to additional poor decisions.

As I age, I take fewer risks when wading. I have a greater appreciation for the power of the water and perhaps a lowered sense of invulnerability.
"One and done" to limit our impact on wild steelhead

skitterbug

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 05:31:47 PM »

I do what people perceive as "sketchy" wades quite often.
What one person perceives as sketchy, may very well be completely fine for another angler. For example, I'm confident in waist deep fast flowing water while many aren't.

I have quite a few conditions for a wade.
These are based on bottom substrate, and water directly below/dangers below (waterfalls/cascades/log jams/sweepers), and river levels.

If it's mostly gravel bottom (similar to what I remember the bottom end of prison being), I will often do deep wades/fast water. This is because there is no foot entrapment potential, which is what generally kills people in a panic situation (they try to stand and their foot gets wedged). I'm fine with "deeper water" in a lot of those situations - of course depending on what kind of water is directly below me. I like to have at least 100 yards of water to work with in case something happens. If you fall, you swim. Don't try to stand back up, just beach yourself. If you swim, believe me when I say the waders have literally NO IMPACT. It's trying to stand up that kills you in waders - they are heavy and you can't stand which makes you panic more. Swim to the beach, beach yourself, and crawl up while leaning forward to drain the water out of the top (hopefully you were wearing your wading belt).

I took a couple super sketchy swims in white water last year. They were just that - swims - because I didn't panic and swam rather than trying to stand up. One, I got launched out of a raft on a drift in class 4 water. Everything happened so fast I didn't even deploy the life jacket. I just swam to the raft. The other I was walking a canyon wall and fell 15 feet into a torrent. Luckily on the second one, I was 10 feet away from the end of the wall near a gravel bar and was able to swim out before the cascade below. The second one scared me badly - and now I'm obviously more careful. Learning experience.

Obviously I'm not saying go out and swim around in steelhead season. What I am saying though, is that it's not the waders that kills you - it's panic and bad decisions. If you're not confident in a wade/have a bad feeling, don't do it. If you aren't experienced wading, don't do stupid wades. If you aren't comfortable around water, don't do dumb wades. It's not rocket science. Calling out people on a forum though for a wade they did is kind of silly. The way you often learn is by doing those wades once or twice. I bet they won't do it again, with you calling them out or not. Getting wet scares a lot of people.

It should also be mentioned that the drowning last year on this date was in extremely high water, and wasn't a wading accident.

You made a couple valid points; wading below hazards and not panicking.

I will disagree with your other statements;
You've been lucky and need to educate yourself further.

Snagly

Phone preservation
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 06:32:55 PM »

Forgot to mention that for US$8-$10 (plus shipping plus all the extra Loonie costs) you can buy from Amazon a "Joto" waterproof pouch that hosts most iPhones and Samsungs. I was dubious when I bought mine as you can spend up to $100 in an airport bookshop for the same thing (by a different manufacturer, of course). But it works great: fully waterproof, and the touch-sensitive screen works through the plastic. The photos from my Samsung are as good as those from my waterproof camera. 
"One and done" to limit our impact on wild steelhead

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 01:39:24 AM »

A good ziplock bag works great, and touch phones work through the bag with your fingers assuming there's not a 1/4" of guts and borax on your finger. Can talk on the phone through the bag too.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 08:23:44 AM »

After you drown from careless wading, it won't matter if your phone was in a zip lock back or not. But fear not, after they recover your body, you and your cell phone will take a ride in a very lovely black vinyl bag sporting a very nice chrome zipper.

Planning a swim with waders is not a good survival plan.

Preparing for an accidental slip by planning what steps and precautions you need to take to survive an accidental slip that puts river water over the top of your waders is good survival planning.

It would probably even be a good idea to go out as a group in the summer to test the effectiveness of a wader belt and the effects of water filling your waders without that belt. Done in a controlled environment, this could make the difference between life or death in regards to how you prepare and how you react once you go under water.