Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Be Safe .....  (Read 8253 times)

doja

Re: Be Safe .....
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 08:52:56 AM »

^^^ YouTube already beat you to it...

Waders are perfectly safe to swim with if you have a belt and preferably a tight fitting peice of clothing (worn over the waders) which will actually work better than any belt. I use mine kayaking in the ocean lots with a pfd with no issues.

I have a old wool sweatshirt that is for this purpose as it shrunk and is now tight fitting and combined with a shirt underneath water has a very difficult time getting in. I don't even use a belt as I think it's kinda pointless and uncomfortable.

An improperly worn seat belt can cause injuries too...  Note the word "improperly worn".

A t-shirt and waders is going to fill quickly which is why I wear mine at waist level for the most part when warm and belt it. With the extra wader part wrapped up for a tighter seal.

Bunch of nacys on here, lol
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:02:03 AM by doja »

bobby b

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 10:32:42 AM »

The problem with waders in a fast flow is NOT that you can't swim in them….. they will cause you to be swept away by the current more easily.

Swimming in a 'controlled' environment ( swimming pool or ocean ) does not equal the effect that fast flowing water will have in a river. Fast flowing chest high water can quickly sweep one away, that combined with the frigid temps of the water esp.  when winter fishing, and any unseen obstacles in the river make for a very dangerous situation no matter how ya slice it.

There are more than just boulders to worry about. Submerged branches etc… can get you hung up when in that sceanrio too. I have myself almost been tripped up in a knee deep gravel bottom fast flow ….. old fishing line that was snagged on the bottom wrapped around one of my feet…..  go figure

Every Day… I don't think my post was 'silly' ….. I and several others that actually witnessed this, deemed the pair of anglers as 'silly'…'stupid'..'careless'…

I had a guy come down from the very top of the run and he even said "what were those idiots thinking"…   

My post was also an attempt to simply make others who may be inexperienced more aware of the dangers present when trying to wade in deep river water. An inexperienced angler may attempt a deep crossing because they saw someone else do it…. and if they are alone and something goes wrong then we all know what 'could' happen.

doja

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 10:44:39 AM »

Waders can't cause you to be swept down river....  Wearing them improperly can...
Not sure why people fail to understand this?

Part of being a male is doing stupid stuff... Women don't understand the need to take risks but men do...  And we sure learn from it...  Sometimes,  lol
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 10:47:32 AM by doja »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 11:43:32 AM »

Meh. Let's ban all wading above the knee.  ::)

bobby b

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 11:49:06 AM »

Waders can't cause you to be swept down river....  Wearing them improperly can...
Not sure why people fail to understand this?

Part of being a male is doing stupid stuff... Women don't understand the need to take risks but men do...  And we sure learn from it...  Sometimes,  lol

Yes they can…. stand in a good flow with bare legs and shorts  and then stand in it with waders on … no difference you say?  BS

If you have a tight wading belt on then the air trapped in your legs will cause you to be more buoyant….. the result? ….You will get swept away more easily!! Furthermore having buoyant legs and a non buoyant upper one may also struggle to keep their head above water.

Your last comment is beyond me. Are you saying males 'understand the need to take risks'….really??? Part of being a a dead idiot is doing stupid stuff…male or female. 

The web is rife with tragic tales of seemingly safe river wading attempts that have gone wrong….

For some it is a learning experience ….for others it can spell doom.

doja

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 12:20:45 PM »

OK.....  Let's see a "reputable" article supporting your claims... That faults the waders being worn properly...

Next I guess people shouldn't wear a life jacket on the river too as it'll increase your drag profile... Lol
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 12:29:17 PM by doja »

bobby b

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2017, 12:33:00 PM »

I'm not here to argue .... believe what ever you like ...

Be safe

doja

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2017, 01:06:34 PM »

Not here to argue....  Isn't that what Internet forums are for...  :o

On a more serious note the "waders of death myth" have been debunked long ago by informed people who have tested it...

If one wants to preach safety (I'm all for safety) backing it with truthful facts sure does help...

I have  taken a few swims in the river and I only get wet on my arms and upper chest....  All due to properly wearing my chest waders above the stated advice of just wearing a belt... I'm also ok with a swim as I'm comfortable in the water due to swimming but others probably aren't.

Let this be a note to those stupid people (like me) who take risks... Although mine are calculated and sometimes informed... Sometimes, lol
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:10:20 PM by doja »

Walleye76

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2017, 01:37:08 PM »

The fact a thread that is simply to remind anglers that wading no matter the current conditions CAN in an instant turn tragic has turned into a "well most can't but I can do that safety" baffles me... I agree that even the "sketchiest" of wades/crossings will 9 times out of 10 result in a good soaking/swim and an adrenaline rush, it's that 10th time that gets you...point is you can take all the "calculated " risks you want but at some point that cat runs out of lives... all the cautionary tales in the world won't stop the "not to me" guys from doing things most consider shear stupidity, unfortunately alot of those guys are the ones who's family members and loved ones will have to live with the consequences of their teflon mentalities

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2017, 03:33:50 PM »

Not here to argue....  Isn't that what Internet forums are for...  :o
You may not be here to argue, but comments like " Bunch of nacys on here" or "Not sure why people fail to understand this?", or all the lol's, can inhibit the exchange of constructive dialogue and cause some folks to disengage.

skitterbug

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2017, 07:05:55 PM »

I'll try to to keep this succinct as possible, as long winded statements tend to lose the audience.

You CAN swim rivers with waders, providing you prevent water from entering them. I have done experiments. When you enter a river with waders on, the water will compress the waders to your body and even with a tight wading belt air will be expelled. This will create a TEMPORARY seal, water will slowly leak in and once the seal is broken, water will enter your waders rapidly. This is were a wading belt or belts, greatly reduce water penetration. Wearing a Goretex jacket, drytop and PFD will further reduce water penetration.

If your waders fill will water, you won't sink because water is neutral in water. What can happen if your not wearing a wading belt, is your waders become like a parachute and catch currents and they can pull you under.

When I came out of a pool after filling my waders, I had 70 pounds of water in them!  It is extremely difficult to swim with your waders full of water, it's like having a full length cast on both legs. It is extremely difficult to kick with your legs as a result. This also makes it very hard to safely climb up to shore to safety, due to the weight of water in your waders.

Use a wading belt at all time!

Rivers can be dangerous, you need to ask yourself if it's worth the risk wading above your waist in faster currents.
As someone else pointed out, you don't suffer if you die, your family, kids, friends do! No fish is worth a risky river crossing. I'm not saying not to wade above your knee, I'm talking about a high likelihood that you can be swept downstream. If you plan on doing high risk wading I highly recommend wearing a whitewater style PFD, as inflatable PFD's ARE NOT designed for rivers.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:43:49 AM by skitterbug »

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2017, 08:04:08 PM »

Wading during rising water is never a good idea either. I've almost been stuck a few times.

You're absolutely right...I only did what I did because I was coming back from the opposite side of the river... It was a bush wack situation where I under estimated the amount of rain coming down and by the time I got to my original crossing point, I had to settle for a mid run location where it was the safest route across.  Not my proudest moment, but lucky for me I've got a few years of experience under my belt....Needless to say, it was the beginning of the end of my recklessness.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2017, 08:33:58 PM »

You may not be here to argue, but comments like " Bunch of nacys on here" or "Not sure why people fail to understand this?", or all the lol's, can inhibit the exchange of constructive dialogue and cause some folks to disengage.
X2
It ain't the roe bro'

riley dog

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2017, 09:44:34 PM »

The old saying that "it's all good, until it's not" applies here.

Keep your teabags dry, and manage the risk appropriately.

Be safe, and enjoy.